DragonBall getting a lot of hate ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DragonBall getting a lot of hate ?

Post by DonZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am

Hello, i'm a new Fan of the series, i just want to join to share some Impressions and discuss about the seires in general..

anyway .. don't you guys think DragonBall series gets a lot of hate ? like a lot people saying it sucks, for series that influence many and many mangaka, don't you see it's too much for it ? especially when it comes from One Piece or Naruto fans -which both inspired by Dragon Ball-
however ..

-Do you think current Shonen animes surpassed Dragon Ball in term of quality ? (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail)
-What's the reason of Dragon Ball popularity if there's a lot of better animes out there ?
-How did Dragon Ball inspired the Shonen ?

Discuss!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DragonBall getting a lot of hate ?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am

In terms of hate that Dragon Ball series get is by this order:
1) GT (series in general)
2) Kai (English voice acting, picture quality, soundtrack replacement)
3) Z (fillers too long & japanese vs american music discussions)
4) DB (got nothing for DB)

If Colleen wasn't chosen to voice Gohan in Kai, then people would probably not matter too much about it, but her voice does get on my nerves when I hear it. Thankfully, I have the option of watching it in Japanese audio, PT-BR dub or Latin Spanish dub instead.

I've never seen anyone complaining about the original DB, Kai and GT are the pros at it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 pm

I know what you're talking about. I've encountered some people out there (either on Youtube or various other anime forums), that say that DragonBall/DBZ suck compared to either stuff like Bleach or Naruto; or ones who say DB sucks compared to more... cerebral fare like Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, or the works of Satoshi Kon.

As a lover of all types of animation, as much as I like those other types of anime, I'm still a big fan of DragonBall, it's comfort food for me.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm talking about DBZ, there's nothing to complain about or hate on in the Original series, lol. the pace is amazing, the fights length is perfect (it's good in Kai too, but original is better), a mix between Adventure/Action. just to be specifically, it's all about DBZ. and for me DragonBall is better than Z in term of quality, but i have my reasons to prefer Z. still addicted to the original too.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:28 pm

I know what you mean, I go on a lot of anime forums where most members consider Dragon Ball to be ... I don't know ... maybe immature? Especially when you've only seen the dub, I mean there are some dark moments in DB but there isn't much to sit and dwell on like when you're watching Akira for instance. I think that a lot of Naruto and Bleach fans I have spoken to, like me, got into anime through DB and then they never bothered to revisit it or watch it subbed.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

You know, being addicted to Dragon Ball, sometimes i wish i could live in Japan. they really do appreciate the series.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 pm

The only manga that truly has surpassed Dragon Ball is One Piece. Not just because it's super popular in Japan but because it's an amazing manga/anime with it's own unique style.
DonZ wrote:You know, being addicted to Dragon Ball, sometimes i wish i could live in Japan. they really do appreciate the series.
I wouldn't wanna live there but I would happily go on holiday there for the sole purpose of seeing Battle of Gods :lol:

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

It always puts a big smile on my face when people try to trash DB/Z/GT by claiming the animation is "prehistoric" or just too old to bother with. I must be watched a different cartoon series, because to me at least, all three (more so the original DB), still hold up well and fine today.

Anyone who says similar such nonsense comes off as stupid would-be hipsters to me.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:40 pm

To hate DBZ is to take DBZ seriously.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:2) Kai (picture quality)
I thought people liked Kai's picture quality. :? I think it was the new tracing and "animation" that they inserted into the episodes that everyone disliked

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't think it was ever established whether we were talking about Dragon Ball hating from inside or outside of anime fandom? Because those are two different sets of reactions.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
I thought people liked Kai's picture quality. :? I think it was the new tracing and "animation" that they inserted into the episodes that everyone disliked
I thought it was people not realizing there was an uncut version.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
I thought people liked Kai's picture quality. :?
Kai after Part 4 (Freeza arc) it started decreasing and getting worse, even on Blu-ray it didn't look very good nor did the music replacement make it any better.

Such a shame, if it at least had the original music of Kai I wouldn't have minded the crappy picture quality.

/imo

Others expected new animation, though.

Kai was nothing but a quick cash-in for Toei Animation and it gave them more trouble than expected.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Dragon Ball is a pretty well love series with a lot of older anime and manga fans. I think Dragon Ball is one of those series is not for everyone since it's very fast place which why some people don't like it. I do think when people say that they spend the whole episode powering up proves that they never watch a single episode of the show or read the manga. It's like when people say that monster movies are cheesy and stupid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

As a "gateway" series with a degree of mainstream popularity, it's something that fans tend to bash as a "rite of passage" to show that they've moved on to other things that are more obscure (or "mature", in their minds). In this respect, it's usually a mark of immaturity (looking down on things because they're no longer "cool"), rather than evaluating the series on its merits. We have done a fair amount of the latter on the site and the podcast, but that in itself tends to elicit howls from the other side that we somehow aren't "true fans" because we acknowledge and embrace the flaws of the series as well as its strengths. Never mind that we have a website and a forum devoted to the franchise, when we could be spending our free time on much more productive things. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:As a "gateway" series with a degree of mainstream popularity, it's something that fans tend to bash as a "rite of passage" to show that they've moved on to other things that are more obscure (or "mature", in their minds). In this respect, it's usually a mark of immaturity (looking down on things because they're no longer "cool"), rather than evaluating the series on its merits. We have done a fair amount of the latter on the site and the podcast, but that in itself tends to elicit howls from the other side that we somehow aren't "true fans" because we acknowledge and embrace the flaws of the series as well as its strengths. Never mind that we have a website and a forum devoted to the franchise, when we could be spending our free time on much more productive things. :?
Man I shared your opinion 100%. I've watched lots of animes and I was away from DB for a short period of time (like 4 years, due to life), but to me Dragon Ball/Z/GT is the best and is my favorite. I also don't understand why some people hate some arcs or think it's too long. I mean. Dragon Ball isn't going anywhere. Take your time. Watch the episode. Wait for the big moments. It's a build-up. Building to the climax of the series. I love all the episodes (I love the RRA arc, which I should post on the other thread about why it shouldn't get ignored or try to go fast, but eh, screw it). Okay, I can't stand the Garlic Jr. Saga, but I'll watch it maybe 5-10 years from now when I'm rewatching everything again.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:As a "gateway" series with a degree of mainstream popularity, it's something that fans tend to bash as a "rite of passage" to show that they've moved on to other things that are more obscure (or "mature", in their minds). In this respect, it's usually a mark of immaturity (looking down on things because they're no longer "cool"), rather than evaluating the series on its merits. We have done a fair amount of the latter on the site and the podcast, but that in itself tends to elicit howls from the other side that we somehow aren't "true fans" because we acknowledge and embrace the flaws of the series as well as its strengths. Never mind that we have a website and a forum devoted to the franchise, when we could be spending our free time on much more productive things. :?
This bascially.

Reminds me of some girls back when I was in school 'Oh, yeah... we love anime! But we hate Dragon Ball Zeeeeee!'

I think most of the hate stems from people remembering the old FUNi dub which is pretty dated nowadays...
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 pm

A large majority of the haters from my experience tend to be people who were either too young to remember DBZ in it's heyday (in English speaking territories) or just got into anime recently and for them modern shows like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are their measuring sticks when comparing everything else. Personally I don't think it's fair to hold old shows to the same standard as new ones what with advantages in new technology and what not but apparently a lot of people think it's ok to dissect and rip them to shreds regardless. Also there's those who are just influenced by popular opinion and will jump on the hatewagon once something is on the decline. It is easier to wait and kick an old man while he's down rather than attack him when he's in his prime after all.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 pm

The general argument against the series is "It's about a bunch of spiky haired dudes screaming to get stronger and nothing else." Which is complete BS. You could take any series and over simplify it. I could say that FMA is about two brothers who can turn stuff into different stuff, I could also say that Star Wars is about dudes with laser swords, I could say that Evangelion is about teens in giant robots. Doesn't mean it's all there is to the series.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:To hate DBZ is to take DBZ seriously.
This. This right here, is something I believe is a great statement.

In terms of overall quality as an anime adaptation, DBZ has horrible pacing, and far too much filler for it's own good (More filler overall than the original Naruto, even). Even in Dragon Ball, there are fillers that contradict the plot itself. Don't get me wrong, DB/Z/GT will always be, as a whole (Anime/Manga/Movies/Etc) my all-time favorite series. But there are other anime that are, from a technical standpoint at least, put together a lot better. (In terms of story/character...you can't really compare it to things like Evangelion, though...)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

Big Momma wrote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:To hate DBZ is to take DBZ seriously.
This. This right here, is something I believe is a great statement.
Was going to agree the first time I saw this, but scrolling down the topic again it is rather apt. Julian's correct in saying we on this forum has no issue both bringing to bear and overbearing on the series warts, across the franchise.

I also think about friends I have who aren't unapologetic fans of series; I have one who has distanced himself from Dragon Ball in recent times, realizing how stupid most of it is, even worse when you throw in meta like how everything is name pun and Toriyama wrote as he went. But he still enjoys it because it somehow works. But then, even the voice actors are blown away by that.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada