Does it bother you when people use dub lines?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does it bother you when people use dub lines?

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 am

In the past when I was introduced to the old Funimation dub, I didn't mind the dub lines at all, that was until I discovered the Japanese version which I later became a pain-in-the-ass for lines and terminology towards my brother (he's a fan of the dub) and now I don't mind yet again. :lol: I guess in the end, I can't blame people for liking the version they like because in the end, they're DBZ fans, just with different preferences and yes, I like both Japanese version for Z, the Ocean movies and the Kai dub. :)
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:22 am

"Hyperbolic Time Chamber" is just horrendous. Some of the attack names like Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disc are tacky as hell. Other than that, nothing really bothers me.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 19, 2013 8:29 am

One step further, it irks me a little when people reference Dragon Ball period and reference the dub only. Specifically, whenever I see a parody on a tv/web show that is referencing Dragon Ball in some way and it either quotes a line from the dub, pulls music from the dub, etc. The dub simply isn't the Dragon Ball that I know, so when people reference it as Dragon Ball when it isn't the same the Dragon Ball that I know, it kind of feels like my experience isn't being represented.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 am

Bussani wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Out of curiosity TheGmGoken, What are the other 4?
Wild guess: Sonic the Hedgehog, Invader Zim, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and...The Lion King...?

Although I'm not necessarily saying I agree with such a list.
Quite frankly, every fanbase is the worst. That is, there's always, ALWAYS, going to be some form of chaos and controversy with different people who have different values. Me? I just accept this fact of life and try not to generalize (yes, that includes the Sonic Fandom). Though I will call out an individual fan's behavior.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 am

I think people who go around acting like that they are hardcore Japanese fans can be just as bad. I remember one person got mad at me for not calling DBZ "Doragon Boru Zetto".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 19, 2013 11:45 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think people who go around acting like that they are hardcore Japanese fans can be just as bad. I remember one person got mad at me for not calling DBZ "Doragon Boru Zetto".
On a similar note, it should be worth noting that in some instances, many people aren't sure of the correct pronunciation of certain words. I didn't learn until recently (covering the upcoming Ocean dub of Kai) that Namek is apparently pronounced "Nah-mek," and not "Na-mick." Yes, the Japanese actors pronounced it "Nah-mek," but they also pronounced "Dragon Ball Z" as "Doragon Boru Zetto," "Freeza" as "Furiza," and "Trunks" as "Tohranksu"...so how they pronounce it isn't always a completely accurate indication of how something's supposed to be pronounced. It's even more difficult in the case of Toriyama's work because there's so much wordplay and puns involved.

So I figured, between Japanese accents and the spelling of the word, that the correct pronunciation really was "Na-mick." In my opinion, it's not like the mispronunciation of "Sai-yin" and "Say-in," because the spelling itself seems to indicate that FUNimation was wrong about that from the get-go. But "Namek"? I had no reason to suspect that that pronunciation was wrong. It's impossible to get that pronunciation out of my head now, and I doubt that I'll be able to suddenly start calling it "Nah-mek." It'll always be "Na-mick" to me...and I don't know that I would call that hugely problematic, 'ya know?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I feel like there is nothing wrong with using English names if there is a perfectly valid English translations. I think it's easier to say "Cell" instead saying "Seru". I admit sometimes I do use Japanese titles for some movies and shows to avoid confusion like with Kamen Rider for example. I use Kamen instead Masked since I feel like people would think I'm talking about Saban's Masked Rider which was on Fox Kids back in the mid 90's.
She/Her

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 am

I hate how this website turns names such as Tur-les/ Tur les and Fri eza to it's original name. Even though mostly they're bad names but can't blame people for spelling the way they're used to lol.
Agreed. I think that's incredibly petty of Kazenshuu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
I hate how this website turns names such as Tur-les/ Tur les and Fri eza to it's original name. Even though mostly they're bad names but can't blame people for spelling the way they're used to lol.
They do? Turles. Anyways I don't think using dub lines is that bad but I don't like it when I hear/see a certain fan-dub-parody puns over and over and over and over. But I guess that would apply to if I heard/saw anything that many times over again.

*EDIT* oh my goodness they do! :lol: I think I may have seen something like that happen to my posts before but I don't remember. That's funny :clap:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Petty? I think it's petty to want to use inaccurate spellings and/or mistranslated names. Corrections are an education tool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
How is it petty to use the correct names?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 am

It also improves cohesiveness in discussions. The international crowd is not going to know what a Ti-en or Her-cule is.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 am

Yeah, maybe so...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 am

It kind of annoys me when I see people who've commented on YouTube saying "he pronounced Saiyan wrong" and yet it's the correct pronunciation that the narrator actually got right.

FUNimation improved a lot of things in their Kai dub but the pronunciation of Saiyan wasn't one of them.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't think they got the pronunciation of Dr. Gero right in Kai IIRC?
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think they got the pronunciation of Dr. Gero right in Kai IIRC?
Unfortunately, no. He's still Jero.

Naruto's dub got it right, they pronounced Hokage not Hocage although it'd be funny if they did. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It kind of annoys me when I see people who've commented on YouTube saying "he pronounced Saiyan wrong" and yet it's the correct pronunciation that the narrator actually got right.

FUNimation improved a lot of things in their Kai dub but the pronunciation of Saiyan wasn't one of them.
TBH I think funimation should only make Goku say Saiyan wrong. I know it wasn't in manga or the original audio but kind of make sense since Goku talks like a hick

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Duo wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Petty? I think it's petty to want to use inaccurate spellings and/or mistranslated names. Corrections are an education tool.
In this case I prefer Turlеs to Tullece because that's how I say it (Turls) basically than Tulese, but this is just being auto-corrected to be aware of the correct name.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Duo wrote:Petty? I think it's petty to want to use inaccurate spellings and/or mistranslated names. Corrections are an education tool.
No offense, but it's kind of petty to assume someone would want to use those names in the interest of being incorrect...cuz they wouldn't. They'd be using them in the vein of that being what they are used to, which there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not overtly fond of the name filters either, as it seems a little much (and really makes it hard when you're trying to use the other names for a discussion purpose), but I've grown used too it overall.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon May 20, 2013 6:13 pm

There's a thousand places out there to discuss Dragon Ball - I didn't say these folks would be interested in getting educated, but it's a natural consequence of participating in this type of message board. I see nothing wrong with that. Where else can I go where the correct spellings take precedent, along with good grammar/spelling? (Another matter one might call petty) I'd otherwise have no place where I care to even attempt discussion of Dragon Ball.