Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Will You Be Buying The "Beat the Dead Horse" DVD Box Set

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 am

Zillamon51 wrote:that's missing episodes from even its own limited run
Not following you here.

If you're saying that the "Rock the Dragon" set will not contain episodes that were produced over the course of its 1996-1998 run, that's not correct. According to the trailer, it has all 53 episodes. 53 episodes are all that were produced (in addition to the three movies, which we know it does contain, and getting more technical, the three-"episode" version of DBZ Movie 3).

If you're saying that this old production cuts what was originally 67-68 episodes down to 53 episodes, yes. That is correct. Also, see: Kai :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 am

If I liked the Ocean dub I would but I don't. I might watch it at a friends house for Nostalgia's sake though.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 am

Zillamon51 wrote:Re-buying the series in general: I have all nine seasons on DVD (the orange bricks) and all eight volumes of Kai on blu-ray. The only way I will ever buy DBZ again is as a full uncut run on BRD with the US version music included. I have no interest in Dragon Boxes w/o the US music. I liked what I heard about the Level sets; I was just waiting for them to be re-packaged into larger collections later like they always do. I guess that won't be happening now. Apparently it's more important to release this new "Beat the Dead Horse," excuse me, "Rock the Old Dragon" set than it is to continue the Level sets or continue Kai through the Majin Buu saga.

P.S. Why didn't they just include the old "Rock the Dragon" opening on the DVD season sets, like they did "Step into the Grand Tour" with DBGT?
They can't continue Kai until Toei Animation from Japan transfers the episodes to them to sub/dub and then release on Blu-ray and DVD. As for the Level sets, apparently they cost way too much to produce and people weren't buying so they just couldn't continue to work on it.

The song "Rock the Dragon" is part of the Ocean Dub version, so this is why it's not on the Orange Bricks.

By the way, it's called Blu-ray Disc (BD) or just Blu-ray. "BRD" doesn't resemble as Blu-ray in any way.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 am

For $60 I just might pick this up.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The song "Rock the Dragon" is part of the Ocean Dub version, so this is why it's not on the Orange Bricks.
"Rock the Dragon" is still FUNimation's property, and they can (and did) use it whenever they wanted. It was still used into "Season 3" (and I mean TV broadcast seasons, not home release "seasons") when it aired on Cartoon Network and earlier home releases, it was used in the American version of the first Budokai game, it was licensed for one of those drum video games...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am

Yes, I will be getting this. This is aimed for a very specific type of fan so I can understand some people being turned off by this.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:18 am

Yes, I will be getting this set. I own Movies 1 and 2 but not the series and the inclusion of the TV version of Movie 3 is further incentive.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 am

Yup. Nostalgia.

I also legitimately love the voice acting these guys did. Top notch.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 am

I actually don't own any of the old Ocean releases, so I think that I'll get this! But I love that dub.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 am

Umm what?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 am

I am. I want to own the Ocean/FUNi dub on DVD. So this is a must get.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am

If I'm able to fit it into my budget then I definitely might! :D Even though I already own the original 53 episodes and 3 movies, I like supporting Dragonball releases and I agree with the guy a couple posts above. I think the voices were top notch.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 am

Has FUNimation revealed how big the box itself is?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Rock- ... ords=Anime
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 am

VegettoEX wrote:If you're saying that this old production cuts what was originally 67-68 episodes down to 53 episodes, yes. That is correct. Also, see: Kai :).
Yes, that's what I was getting at. If memory serves, the RTD version includes the Saiyan and Namek sagas (through the arrival of the Ginyu Force), and skips eps like Gohan finding an old robot and escaping from orphan island.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will You Be Buying the "Milk the Dead Cow" DVD Box Set

Post by Zillamon51 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They can't continue Kai until Toei Animation from Japan transfers the episodes to them to sub/dub and then release on Blu-ray and DVD. As for the Level sets, apparently they cost way too much to produce and people weren't buying so they just couldn't continue to work on it.
I'm perfectly aware of all that. And yet, instead of reconsidering their strategy regarding the Level sets (perhaps offering twice as many eps per set, thus matching up w/ the Orange Brick seasons) or just giving DBZ a breather until the rest of Kai is ready, Funi looks to be desperately milking the franchise with a retro set with very limited niche appeal.
dbboxkaifan wrote:The song "Rock the Dragon" is part of the Ocean Dub version, so this is why it's not on the Orange Bricks.
The board boss covered this, Mr. Nitpick. It should and could have been on there somewhere.
dbboxkaifan wrote:By the way, it's called Blu-ray Disc (BD) or just Blu-ray. "BRD" doesn't resemble as Blu-ray in any way.
And yet you figured it out just fine. Good to see your time spent deciphering things like "Post-ROSAT FPSSJG3 Trunks" has served you well.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 pm

No need for the snark.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will You Be Buying the "Snark the Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Post by Zillamon51 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:No need for the snark.
What, no sense of humor on here? Surely, someone correcting me on something so utterly trivial (which is annoying in and of itself) while themselves using Engrish like "doesn't resemble as Blu-ray" is good for a chuckle?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Sense of humor, sure, but no need to let it cross the line into quasi-personal-attacks like "Mr. Nitpick" and sarcastic pokes with the acronyms.

Hell, nitpcking is the name of my game when it comes to reviewing things, and judging by the traffic, that seems to be something people like.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Will You Be Buying the "Milk the Dead Cow" DVD Box Set

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Zillamon51 wrote: I'm perfectly aware of all that. And yet, instead of reconsidering their strategy regarding the Level sets (perhaps offering twice as many eps per set, thus matching up w/ the Orange Brick seasons) or just giving DBZ a breather until the rest of Kai is ready, Funi looks to be desperately milking the franchise with a retro set with very limited niche appeal.
...Are you worried they're going to overdraw their bank account, or something?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm

I won't be getting it; the only releases I'd really be interested in are any new Dragon Boxes.