Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperGhostKamikaze
Not-So-Newbie

Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Post by SuperGhostKamikaze » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Exactly what the subject says, I just wanted to get everybodys thoughts on this release & what are thier reasons for not buying or buying this release. So please what ever you have in mind please post. Thanks Everyone =].

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Will You Be Buying The "Rock The Dragon" DVD Box Set?

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Definitely not. Even with the nostalgia factor, I wouldn't actually sit down and watch the show this way. Watching any version of Dragon Ball is a pretty serious time investment, so why would I watch one of the crappiest versions?
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I won't be purchasing it; there's just no need for it in my collection personally. I already have copies of these episodes as they aired on Toonami, plus I own the Dragon Boxes, Kai, and the manga; there's no desire for me to spend money these edited, censored versions again.

Though I think it's actually a pretty great deal for the price. It's certainly seems like an improvement over the old Pioneer singles.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:48 pm

No. Already have everything on vhs or dvd. Not buying again.
ThunderPX wrote:Definitely not. Even with the nostalgia factor, I wouldn't actually sit down and watch the show this way. Watching any version of Dragon Ball is a pretty serious time investment, so why would I watch one of the crappiest versions?
Since you live in the Netherlands, would you be interested in anything in English?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:00 pm

No. There's zero nostalgia factor for me; I got into the series well into the FUnimation dub's run and even sort of disliked the early episodes(all my friends wanted to play DBZ on the playground when I wanted to play Digimon). Even today as a much more knowledgeable fan, the Saiyan arc is my least favorite of the entire series run.

If they somehow managed to pull the Ocean dub of the Majin Buu arc out of their ass, I would consider buying that out of sheer curiosity; only seen clips and never a full episode. Or possibly any Canadian dub of anything Dragon Ball that isn't the Saiyan/Namek arcs.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 pm

No thanks. Never thought the Ocean Dub was worth the buy. It is interesting to see. I'm curious to see the video quality of this release.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

SuperGhostKamikaze
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperGhostKamikaze » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Does anybody know why this release only contains episodes 1-53??

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 pm

SuperGhostKamikaze wrote:Does anybody know why this release only contains episodes 1-53??
Because that's as far as the FUNi/Ocean dub got.

To answer the question of whether or not I'm buying the RTD boxset, the simple answer is no.
-Joey

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:30 pm

SuperGhostKamikaze wrote:Does anybody know why this release only contains episodes 1-53??
Funimation's Ocean(Original) dub only dubbed those eps. Anything beyond those eps(Android Saga) funimation don't own.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I will NOT be buying this because it's no point. Most people got ocean on VHS plus compared to today's dubbing this audio is bad. Even my 90's english dub standers. Not to mention this is another example of FUNI milking Dbz. At the rate they're going I bet sooner then later we will have a Latino DVD sale. They most likely have it in the back of their dbz collection as Cooler revenge and Ultimate Uncut DVD had the dub. Not to mention everyone most likely has gotten used to FuNI voices now. Most people who buy are either "Nostalgia fans", "Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", Plain up hate Funimation's voice actors, or a ocean dub fanboy.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:01 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I will NOT be buying this because it's no point. Most people got ocean on VHS plus compared to today's dubbing this audio is bad.
So fans deserve VHS quality over DVD quality? There's actually tons of people who want this. Despite me owning the Dragon Boxes and Kai, I might get this, as I like the Ocean voices.
Last edited by thedarkuniter on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 pm

This particular set? No. Had this been a new start to the Blu-ray Level sets, that contained this dub for the extent of its original run, then absolutely. I have no need for another (non-Dragon Box) DVD release, when I've moved to exclusively purchasing Blu-ray. Plus I'm not particularly familiar or attaches to this dub. Rock the Dragon, yes, but not the Ocean dub.

So short answer: No.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm undecided. Here are two things that would have to happen in order for me to go from "undecided" to "yes."

1) Unfortunately, I already own all of the Pioneer/Ocean-dubbed movies on DVD. If I didn't, this set would be significantly more tempting.

2) If the Westwood dub (covering the later portions of DBZ that were dubbed by the Ocean cast) were included, which I haven't seen all of but would like to, that would also be significantly more tempting.

On the other hand, I don't have the Ocean-dubbed TV series at all, and I don't have the TV-edited version of Movie 3. So.....not sure.....
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I will NOT be buying this because it's no point. Most people got ocean on VHS plus compared to today's dubbing this audio is bad. Even my .
So fans deserve VHS quality over DVD quality? There's actually tons of people who want this. Despite me owning the Dragon Boxes and Kai, I might get this, as I like the Ocean voices.
When did I say they deserve it? I just don't like the idea of buying what you already have.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Since I placed a preorder for this the day it was first announced, I'm going to be one of the odd ones out here and say yes I actually will be buying the "Rock The Dragon" DVD box set, and before people ask, no nostalgia did not play a factor in my decision (I didn't start getting into the DB/DBZ series till 2003 which by that point FUNi had switched to their in-house cast so I have no nostalgia or memories of the 1996 version of DBZ.), my main reason for getting this set is for historic sake, you can say what you want about the dubbing, edits, etc... but the fact remains that the 1996 version of DBZ is still a part of DBZ's history in North America, and hey if we end up getting the TV version of Tree of Might for once (since that has never had an official home release) and the the quality of the footage is better than the old Pioneer DVD set's, it'll be even more worth the investment (I don't own any of the Pioneer DVD's so I don't know what the quality is like exactly, but if it's anything like the old DB DVD's then I have a pretty good idea of what I'd be getting).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I will NOT be buying this because it's no point. Most people got ocean on VHS plus compared to today's dubbing this audio is bad. Even my .
When did I say they deserve it? I just don't like the idea of buying what you already have.
Nope, you didn't say that, but your argument/ pointer was that because most fans own VHS's of the dub, most won't want DVD's of it. To me, that's like saying because the Funimation dub is on VHS, most don't want to upgrade, so I was questioning your wording. 8)
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Nope. I'm not really a fan of the Ocean cast. I like Peter Kelamis at times because he sounds like Nozawa sometimes, but he is pretty inconsistent. I see no reason buying the dvd set at all. Seriously how many times has dbz been re-released?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:34 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:

Nope, you didn't say that, but your argument/ pointer was that because most fans own VHS's of the dub, most won't want DVD's of it. To me, that's like saying because the Funimation dub is on VHS, most don't want to upgrade, so I was questioning your wording. 8)
That wasn't my whole argument. I also pointed out the audio. To be fair. You should't want to buy what you have. Now that's just me. Not to mention people might get confused if they're buying dvds

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Nope. I'm not really a fan of the Ocean cast. I like Peter Kelamis at times because he sounds like Nozawa sometimes, but he is pretty inconsistent. I see no reason buying the dvd set at all. Seriously how many times has dbz been re-released?
Agreed. Peter at times sounded like Goofy to me. Then he sounds like a stereotyped dumb character with his voice. Lastly he sometimes he sound like he's serious at dubbing. He screams are good through. But look at Korean's Tooniverse dub of Dbz Gohan (adult). He's voice sounds just like Nozawa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtOmZAhYNU . You can here for at least 5 seconds but you can still hear the similarity

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I will, though maybe only if it hits a better price. The only reason i'd be buying it though is for nostalgia, I love the soundtrack the 'Ocean Dub' had.