Moments where you think a dub did better than the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Re: Moments when you think a dub did better then the origina

Post by Tsukento » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Dragon Ball Kai's dub.

I say this because while I love the Japanese cast, they either sounded tired, weren't directed properly or were recasted (with an instance of stunt casting for Dende). You know something is wrong when you make Norio Wakamoto's acting sound really off. The dub, on the other hand, seems to have done the complete opposite. They actually made a dub for Z enjoyable and true to the original (outside of the first three movies for Z).
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Wakamoto still owns that role. His problem is that every time he's hired to do an anime now it's because they want him to "be Wakamoto" and ham it up to the extreme. So he's become a parody of himself because instead of fully bringing out the arresting grip of his voice and acting he used to, he now just does everything as broadly as possible because everyone expects it. So even with Cell, though he's clearly the best in the role, he exaggerates a bit too much.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Tsukento wrote:Dragon Ball Kai's dub.

I say this because while I love the Japanese cast, they either sounded tired, weren't directed properly or were recasted (with an instance of stunt casting for Dende). You know something is wrong when you make Norio Wakamoto's acting sound really off. The dub, on the other hand, seems to have done the complete opposite. They actually made a dub for Z enjoyable and true to the original (outside of the first three movies for Z).
I agree with this wholeheartedly, with the exception of a few of the dub voices, but thankfully the bad voices are typically relegated to minor characters such as Gyu Mao.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 pm

The start of the Trunks TV special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16pCRochM3M I can see what they were going for in the original but I just prefer the slow guitar that has this sad vibe to it and then it gets more "hardcore" when the AH's arrive and the heavy guitar riffs actually work with the desperation of the scene, also I actually prefer Dale Kelly's narration for that scene.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Too bad Dale Kelly is a terrible narrator.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am

ringworm128 wrote:I prefer the metal bands for movies like the Coola one or the Broli one since those movies are pretty much just dumb fighting for the whole movie. My only complainant is that the lyrics don't really fit making me wish they had used instrumental versions of the songs. Here's my favorite example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZu_4ISA7o The tone of the song in terms of instrumentals and melody is actually placed rather well, but the lyrics? "I took you home"? :eh: Oh wait, I get it now. The lyrics say "I watched you change" because he changed into a Super Super Saiyan!!!!! :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
I know I'm quoting a few pages back here but I agree. I think the metal actually fits pretty good in some spots and usually when it doesn't its because they left the lyrics in and it would be better without. Like one of the scenes I like better in Funi compared to Japanese is Broly transforming, both versions are good but I like the Funi version better. However I think it would of been better if they just used a instrumental version of Pantera's 10's. And that's not even a bad example of the lyrics being to over powering, that example of Deftone's Changes from movie 5 is definitely worse and I think in movie 4 and maybe also 5 they blast disturbed through half the movie which was definitely over done.

And really that seems to be a trend when I compare Funi to Japanese. Overall I think I like Funi's music better even though it is overdone in parts but I also think the Japanese original is kind of underdone in parts. Need that happy medium to get it just right.

But beyond that I usually just compare everything scene to scene especially since even though I've seen all of DBZ I haven't seen it all in one version so its hard to say who I like better for voice acting. Some I've seen multiple versions of but some I've only seen in Japanese or Funi or Ocean. But even if I did see all of Funi and all of Japanese I would probably just compare scene to scene anyways since some times one is better and other times the other is. I'm also just pretty open to either version so a lot of times I just don't have a preference. But I do have a couple voices that I prefer dubs for (at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head)
Kai Freeza I just found the delivery of the lines more enjoyable from Funi. Maybe the attitude was lost in translation but I usually don't have that problem.
Dabura, you could say Funi over did it but I thought it fit pretty well.
Babidi like others have said he just seemed lacking in the Japanese version and I haven't mentioned Ocean yet but I couldn't take him seriously in that one since he sounded just like Krillin so I like Funi's the best.
But the one I do like best from Ocean is Piccolo, I think they're all pretty good but I would go Ocean, Japanese, Funi for him.
For scenes that stick out I would say a lot of them are of Vegeta like Final Flash, Majin Vegeta at the world tournament, Final atonement and I liked Funi's better there. And Ocean had the best early rage Vegeta like the infamous over 9000!!!! and I'll get you!!!! :lol:

Oh and I forgot TFS which is like the bestest dub ever :)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:45 am

I know being a semi-purist with this show, I'm gonna get some back lash here. I too very much enjoy the tracks they used in some of the earlier dubbed films.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I know being a semi-purist with this show, I'm gonna get some back lash here. I too very much enjoy the tracks they used in some of the earlier dubbed films.
The Nathan Johnson score?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:I know being a semi-purist with this show, I'm gonna get some back lash here. I too very much enjoy the tracks they used in some of the earlier dubbed films.
I assume he composed for Movie 6 right? If so, I'm not a huge fan of his stuff. I'm really just referring to the actual songs they put into the films like Phoenix and Reminded.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:02 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
I assume he composed for Movie 6 right? If so, I'm not a huge fan of his stuff. I'm really just referring to the actual songs they put into the films like Phoenix and Reminded.
Oh no he didn't. THe first 3 movies he composed for the Funi Dub. Which is why I thought you meant movies 1 - 3 since you said
earlier dubbed films

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:12 am

4 and 5 are still early. Movie 8 had like 2 tracks that stood out so that's why I said early.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:The Nathan Johnson score?
Oh no he didn't. The first 3 movies he composed for the Funi Dub. Which is why I thought you meant movies 1 - 3 since you said "earlier dubbed films."
Actually, Johnson did the new score for movies two and three, but The Dead Zone's new score was by what's-his-face that did GT's.
ABED wrote:Too bad Dale Kelly is a terrible narrator.
I'm pretty sure that was Kyle Herbert in that particular clip.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Moments where you think a dub did better than the origin

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:54 am

That is Dale Kelly, not that Kyle Hebert is much better. Neither have a narrator's voice.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 am

penguintruth wrote:Wakamoto still owns that role. His problem is that every time he's hired to do an anime now it's because they want him to "be Wakamoto" and ham it up to the extreme. So he's become a parody of himself because instead of fully bringing out the arresting grip of his voice and acting he used to, he now just does everything as broadly as possible because everyone expects it. So even with Cell, though he's clearly the best in the role, he exaggerates a bit too much.
Very true.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:03 am

Tsukento wrote:Dragon Ball Kai's dub.

The only VA that doesn't sound worse in Japanese Kai is Ryusei Nakao. At least in my opinion.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Re: Moments where you think a dub did better than the origin

Post by Dalesy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:32 pm

I do actually like one line from the Funimation dub. Soon after Vegeta knocks out Trunks and Goten, Piccolo says "Vegeta, I think I finally understand. And one day, so will Trunks." I also love the original dialogue, so I guess I'm kinda torn.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin