Moments where you think a dub did better than the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Moments when you think a dub did better then the origina

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:22 pm

And when he does inflect, he sounds like he's angry, goofy or contemplative, it's uncanny! /sarcasm
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't know it off hand because I do not physically own the movie yet, but what is Cooler and Goku's exchange right after he transforms into a Super Sayain? I honestly liked what they went with in the Funi dub there, because while it was still channeling super hero Goku against Freeza, it also summarizes pretty nicely two-faced the Cold Clan's "I can do anything I want because no one can stop me" logic is, which is what makes watching them all crack so fun.
penguintruth wrote: Such regret.
C wat U did thar.
Looneygamemaster wrote:Speaking of Branan, his Babidi is also leagues better then Joji Yanami's. Not even a contest. I applaud the latter for at least trying to do a different voice, and I like that feel his voice has sometimes--like he's a schoolteacher, and everyone else is a dumb kid--but his acting is just the same dull monotone I hear in every role he does.
Agree with this; Yanami's is just so monotone it doesn't even look like he's trying. I would agree with past posts in disagreeing that his Kaio is that bland, though.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Agree with this; Yanami's is just so monotone it doesn't even look like he's trying. I would agree with past posts in disagreeing that his Kaio is that bland, though.
He's so effortlessly good that it doesn't seem like he's trying. I prefer this to the myriad of other actors that try too hard such as Hebert and Kelly as the narrator.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:46 pm

It is true that Yanami's Babidi is pretty much his Kaio suffering from a cold, though. The English dub Babidi is a bit more distinct.

But I wouldn't say I prefer it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Both Babidis are about equal in my eyes. To me, they both sound like old dudes with nasally voices, who are still stuck-up, spoiled brats. Yanami has the slight edge, but both performances work and are supposed to make you hate this guy.

Terry Klassen's Babidi from the Westwood dub wasn't that good though. He just can't avoid using his Krillin voice for every role, huh?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Not as bad as Klassen's Roshi.

But that later Westwood dub was obviously made on the cheap. They probably had to double, triple up roles out of desperation. Even the sound mixing is horrible.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah, I noticed the sound issues. I've been watching that dub recently, and sometimes it's hard to hear the characters because the music is louder than the voices. I also really wish they weren't just taking the FUNimation script and changing a couple words here and there. But, like you said, it was made super quickly and cheaply. They probably didn't even have a translator involved. Just used the existing English script.

I will say, in defense of the Westwood dub, I think Brad Swaile's Teen Gohan is one of the best voices in that, besides Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Agreed. Swaile is just as good as Hebert. And I'd put both of them on the same level as Nozawa in that role.

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I was watching the Buu saga recently, and when Gotenks Buu was fighting Gohan, Funi inserted a sneakily awesome callback to the Saiyan saga. After Tien died, Gohan laments and says if he hadn't gotten scared of Nappa and ran away, Tien wouldn't have lived. Piccolo scolds him and says, "It hurts, doesn't it? Facing your fears would've been much less painful." During the fight with Gohan, Buu was playing mind games and referencing Gohan's training with Piccolo and shit like that, and after he beats him up, he says this line verbatim.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I was watching the Buu saga recently, and when Gotenks Buu was fighting Gohan, Funi inserted a sneakily awesome callback to the Saiyan saga. After Tenshinhan died, Gohan laments and says if he hadn't gotten scared of Nappa and ran away, Tenshinhan wouldn't have lived. Piccolo scolds him and says, "It hurts, doesn't it? Facing your fears would've been much less painful." During the fight with Gohan, Buu was playing mind games and referencing Gohan's training with Piccolo and shit like that, and after he beats him up, he says this line verbatim.
I love that line. It's been in my signature since I joined this forum :)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I was watching the Buu saga recently, and when Gotenks Buu was fighting Gohan, Funi inserted a sneakily awesome callback to the Saiyan saga. After Tenshinhan died, Gohan laments and says if he hadn't gotten scared of Nappa and ran away, Tenshinhan wouldn't have lived. Piccolo scolds him and says, "It hurts, doesn't it? Facing your fears would've been much less painful." During the fight with Gohan, Buu was playing mind games and referencing Gohan's training with Piccolo and shit like that, and after he beats him up, he says this line verbatim.
I love that line. It's been in my signature since I joined this forum :)
It was actually because of your sig that I finally caught that, lol. When he said that, I thought, "Someone has that Piccolo quote in their sig on Kanzenshuu..."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 pm

I think Gotenks-Buu does a much better job of taunting Gohan in the dub than the Japanese version. A lot of the lines are similar, but they just sound more... evil. Maybe that's down to Justin Cook's performance, which is weird because I could take or leave him as Buu. That said, there's still a TON of added dialogue during the fight here that I - for once - enjoy. Like how Buu says Goten wonders why Gohan let him get absorbed and how Trunks thinks he's a coward. Yeah, there are similar mind games in the Japanese version, but that line stings much more than any I noticed in the sub script. Your mileage may vary, but it seems like I'm not alone on this one.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 pm

I think Gotenks-Buu does a much better job of taunting Gohan in the dub than the Japanese version. A lot of the lines are similar, but they just sound more... evil. Maybe that's down to Justin Cook's performance, which is weird because I could take or leave him as Buu.
I think it helps too that Kozo Shioya (Japanese Boo) isn't at his best here. He does great with the child-like and brutishly insane side of Boo, but when the character temporarily becomes another "arrogant sadist" he sounds like a pale imitation of Nakao's Freeza or Wakamoto's Cell.

...That might have actually been intentional (showing Boo trying to be something he isn't, especially when fighting Vegetto), but if it wasn't, he did kind of miss the mark there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:
I think Gotenks-Buu does a much better job of taunting Gohan in the dub than the Japanese version. A lot of the lines are similar, but they just sound more... evil. Maybe that's down to Justin Cook's performance, which is weird because I could take or leave him as Buu.
I think it helps too that Kozo Shioya (Japanese Boo) isn't at his best here. He does great with the child-like and brutishly insane side of Boo, but when the character temporarily becomes another "arrogant sadist" he sounds like a pale imitation of Nakao's Freeza or Wakamoto's Cell.

...That might have actually been intentional (showing Boo trying to be something he isn't, especially when fighting Vegetto), but if it wasn't, he did kind of miss the mark there.
I completely disagree, I thought it was creepy how he could go from very childlike to very terrifying. Cook always sounds like he's trying too hard.

IAmAwesome

Post by IAmAwesome » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 am

Korean dub. Trunks turn SSJ for Freezer. That was bad***!
Byond sucks. The worst gaming community

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:24 am

Hey, let's not forget Super Buu vs. Vegetto! It may not be all that different, but some of the altered lines are sheer gold :lol: !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_3EQu63o34
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:40 am

IAmAwesome wrote:Korean dub. Trunks turn SSJ for Freezer. That was bad***!
Brother you are the best for that. The whoe scene in Korean > ALL of JPN scenes but SSJ Gohan turning SSJ2 with Sprit vs Sprit

Linnom

Post by Linnom » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 pm

In the Brazilian dub, i like this scene more than the original version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJWmiIFjMA
Don't get me wrong, i love Ryusei Nakao as Freeza, but Carlos campanile is one of the most talented voice actors in Brazil.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:51 pm

ABED wrote: ...That might have actually been intentional (showing Boo trying to be something he isn't, especially when fighting Vegetto), but if it wasn't, he did kind of miss the mark there.
I completely disagree, I thought it was creepy how he could go from very childlike to very terrifying. Cook always sounds like he's trying too hard.[/quote]
That's a good way to describe the problems I have with him as well. As I said, I could take or leave him in the role.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:22 pm

I prefer English Kai to Japanese Kai. I say this because Kai in Japanese is clearly inferior to Japanese Z, on the other hand, Kai in English is clearly vastly superior to Enlgish Z
hulkty wrote:Pretty much every single thing...especially Bruce Falcunor's music.
Bring the hate. :wink:
You've lost all credibility :thumbup:.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946