FUNimation "DBZ on Blu-Ray" Survey

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

FUNimation "DBZ on Blu-Ray" Survey

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 pm

FUNimation just posted this tweet to a survey, asking fans to give their thoughts on a BD release for DBZ.

https://s.zoomerang.com/s/dragonballzsurveytwitter

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone were interested. Looks like it'll just be the "Orange Bricks" on BD, if anything...hopefully not, though.
Last edited by Big Momma on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation "DBZ on Blu-Ray" Survey

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I would just like to note that I got an e-mail about this earlier and filled out the survey.

There is a page where they ask if you'd like a cropped screen. Needless to say, when I selected the original aspect ratio and got the "why?" question, my plea for FUNimation to not make another Orange Brick set was in caps lock mode.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 pm

The way they phrased it, though ("affordable price") tells me that if they do it, they're going to be using a remastering process that's not NEARLY as good as the one they used for their last Blu-Ray release. Not saying I blame them, they're a company and need to do what makes financial sense, after all...I'm just sayin.'
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Just took the survey, also picked 4:3.
This definitely made my day!
Here's hoping this ends up happening because I would love to own DBZ (and maybe later DB & DBGT) on Bluray!
One World. 🌐 🕊

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm

So they're planning on releasing the same shit quality of the Orange Bricks on Blu-ray? Pass.

Note: I did see the 4x3 & 16x9 screens on the next page, but that ticked me right off.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Still not Dragon Boxes... :problem:

Who knows if anything will happen though. All I want to hear is what they're gonna do about the previous Dragon Box pole. Since they've done another DBZ survey about a potential new release, I still cling on to the hope that this bods well for more Dragon Boxes. Hopefully they don't only care about Z...

Elite49

Post by Elite49 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:So they're planning on releasing the same shit quality of the Orange Bricks on Blu-ray? Pass.
:yawn: ...Right.

Was actually surprised by this email. The questions were also quite nice but the aspect ration one was... :eh:

Of course 4:3.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:So they're planning on releasing the same shit quality of the Orange Bricks on Blu-ray? Pass.
We don't know that for sure but if that's the case then I'll not be buying it, as for taking the survey I did and selected 4:3.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

MuffinButton

Post by MuffinButton » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Voted for original 4:3. Honestly, if they indeed finish the release up to 291 and provide Japanese, English with Kikuchi score, and English with American broadcast score, I'll be okay with the slight reduction of quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Note: I did see the 4x3 & 16x9 screens on the next page, but that ticked me right off.
Did you bother reading it? That's not the plan. If that was, why would they bother asking what aspect ratio you prefer?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I have the Dragon Boxes, I don't need DBZ on Blu-Ray.

Maybe some more Kai, but regular DBZ, nah.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm

FUNimation has the Orange Bricks also available on 4x3 not only in 16x9 so they have the two options to choose from. They showed it previously.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 pm

penguintruth wrote:I have the Dragon Boxes, I don't need DBZ on Blu-Ray.

Maybe some more Kai, but regular DBZ, nah.
This is how I feel, too.

Still patiently waiting for my Original DB-Box and "ZA MOOVIES"... :|
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 pm

If they can give me unfiltered, original scans without the shoddy colours that plague the Dragon Box or the saturated mess of their orange boxes then consider me sold.
What I care about most is the high quality Japanese audio. The difference in audio quality on my Japanese Dragon Boxes compared to their previous releases are night and day. It would be nice to not have to rely on my digital back ups to watch the show with subtitles.

Not that this will ever happen but a man can dream, right?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 pm

All of the alcohol.

Could not FUNimation just scan the films at 2K, downscale to 1080p and slap the raw footage on a disc? I would genuinely accept anyone (re: likely Marc?) explaining why this is not a good idea.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 pm

What the frickity frick is wrong with these people? Why would they even ask the aspect ratio question?! I'm insulted by that. Why would they even be considering doing something so stupid again?

And I guess it pains me so much because there are going to be a lot of stupid, uneducated people answering, "Durrrhurrr... widescreen. I want it to fit my TV and not have those ugly black bars!" And I don't want Dragon Ball's fate to be in the hands of people like that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:What the frickity frick is wrong with these people? Why would they even ask the aspect ratio question?! I'm insulted by that. Why would they even be considering doing something so stupid again?
There are people who prefer the cropped version.

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:What I care about most is the high quality Japanese audio.
Me too. I mentioned this in my survey response. As well as the original DB Dragon Boxes, even though they didn't ask. But really. Not to sound...you know, whiny, but it's halfway through the year. I thought they'd have said something about them by now. I would much rather have those.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, seriously, who the hell would vote FOR cropping?

Wait, we know who. The majority of the DBZ fandom in NA. Unfortunately.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Oh yeah, I should probably add, if you answered 16:9, I will find you and I will dip your genitals in hot oil. Why they would even ask that question is beyond me. They may as well have written 'Do you want the artist's intention or our shitty crop job'.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.