"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minu

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Saiyan_nation_ wrote:I just can't wait to read about the secret origin of Goku honestly.
I don't want to lead you in any particular direction before you even get to the bonus chapter, but... um... don't get your hopes up too high.
You weren't kidding :|. Whatever, I did enjoy the manga though and like others have said it gets me excited to see Jaco in the upcoming DBZ film. At first he just looked weak and I just thought "who the hell?", but never judge a book by its cover.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:33 pm

He kind of reminds me of Kuririn because like Jaco, he knows when he is outmatched he's ready to dip out of the situation fast lol.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:He kind of reminds me of Kuririn because like Jaco, he knows when he is outmatched he's ready to dip out of the situation fast lol.
Jaco takes it to a whole new level though.

"What do you mean, then what? If it's an adult, I'll make a run for it and the earthlings will perish, that's all."
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 pm

ZazamPow wrote:
Saiyan_nation_ wrote:He kind of reminds me of Kuririn because like Jaco, he knows when he is outmatched he's ready to dip out of the situation fast lol.
Jaco takes it to a whole new level though.

"What do you mean, then what? If it's an adult, I'll make a run for it and the earthlings will perish, that's all."
Lmao Jaco has no shame in his game.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Jaco really is similar to early Kuririn, which might be one of the reasons I've latched onto the character as a new favorite so readily. He's definitely a much better Space Kuririn than that Kurilien thing. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DragonDealer

Post by DragonDealer » Fri May 15, 2015 5:36 pm

I bought the volume at the beginning of the month and I just loved it! It was very funny and interesting, and the lenght was just enough. I really liked Tights and Omori as characters, actually after reading the first chapter online I decided to buy the volume just because of Omori! I'm an engineer as well, so we had something in common :D

Now I just love this manga and I've already bought the Shonen Jump issue the first chapter of Jaco was published in :mrgreen:

I'm looking to buy the Jaco figure ( Omori figure is not available :cry: ), but I've found it only on eBay with a high price. Is there any site I could buy it cheap? ( I live in Europe)

:wave:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri May 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Intend to read Dragon Ball Minus as well?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm fairly certain that since he bought the collected volume and has read it, that covers Minus as well.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm

DragonDealer wrote:I'm looking to buy the Jaco figure ( Omori figure is not available :cry: ), but I've found it only on eBay with a high price. Is there any site I could buy it cheap? ( I live in Europe)
Where in Europe are you? I found this figure on Ebay UK for a decent price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banpresto-Dra ... 487e311c16
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

DragonDealer

Post by DragonDealer » Sat May 16, 2015 11:25 am

Dyno wrote:Intend to read Dragon Ball Minus as well?
I've read it. I did like it but it was strange... We've always thought Goku was a baby when sent on Earth... I remember that a mission of Dragon Ball Online was about helping Grandpa Gohan when Goku landed on Earth, and he was a baby... Well, I think there is no canon anymore. Everything is explainable by using the different universes stuff, even though there should be just 12 in existence. There is no point in discussing canonicity anymore in my opinion, it's just a manga :|
VeggieXD wrote:
DragonDealer wrote:I'm looking to buy the Jaco figure ( Omori figure is not available :cry: ), but I've found it only on eBay with a high price. Is there any site I could buy it cheap? ( I live in Europe)
Where in Europe are you? I found this figure on Ebay UK for a decent price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banpresto-Dra ... 487e311c16
Well, I'm not from UK so the shipping costs more than the figure itself. Also, I don't know if it comes with a box or not ( like this one http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDYwMA==/ ... 2/$_12.JPG). I'd like to get it in a box. Isn't there any alternative to eBay?

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 16, 2015 11:35 am

DragonDealer wrote:I've read it. I did like it but it was strange... We've always thought Goku was a baby when sent on Earth... I remember that a mission of Dragon Ball Online was about helping Grandpa Gohan when Goku landed on Earth, and he was a baby... Well, I think there is no canon anymore. Everything is explainable by using the different universes stuff, even though there should be just 12 in existence. There is no point in discussing canonicity anymore in my opinion, it's just a manga :|
Indeed, Dragon Ball Minus can't work along with Dragon Ball Online, it's just too sad. :( I think Toriyama did this on purpose, there wasn't a reason to make things so different like this.

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 am

DragonDealer wrote:Well, I'm not from UK so the shipping costs more than the figure itself. Also, I don't know if it comes with a box or not ( like this one http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDYwMA==/ ... 2/$_12.JPG). I'd like to get it in a box. Isn't there any alternative to eBay?
Probably better off asking in one of the figure threads or making a new thread, a lot of the figure collectors know the best sites. I've heard Nippon Yasan is meant to be good but I can't see the Jaco figures on there.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

DragonDealer

Post by DragonDealer » Mon May 18, 2015 12:45 pm

VeggieXD wrote:
DragonDealer wrote:Well, I'm not from UK so the shipping costs more than the figure itself. Also, I don't know if it comes with a box or not ( like this one http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDYwMA==/ ... 2/$_12.JPG). I'd like to get it in a box. Isn't there any alternative to eBay?
Probably better off asking in one of the figure threads or making a new thread, a lot of the figure collectors know the best sites. I've heard Nippon Yasan is meant to be good but I can't see the Jaco figures on there.
Thanks for the link!

However, I ended up buying it on eBay. $22 shipped from Japan, new in box. This is the first figure I've ever bought, so I didn't know any good site I could buy it from.
Dyno wrote:Indeed, Dragon Ball Minus can't work along with Dragon Ball Online, it's just too sad. :( I think Toriyama did this on purpose, there wasn't a reason to make things so different like this.
Yeah, very sad :( I think Toriyama didn't do it on purpose to be honest. I'm not informed about any interviews of Toriyama about that, so I might be wrong, but I think he just forgot about some of his past works... I think he doesn't really care and we care too much. That's my impression :|

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu May 21, 2015 10:38 am

At this point and time I would say Toriyama cares a fair bit (vs just after Dragon Ball ended, where he was all but dead on the inside for a few years).

What Toriyama cares about and what fans care about may differ however.

Toriyama's always written what he wants to write. It's no different now than when he was originally writing.

It may not gel well with Online, but Jaco+Minus has no problem fitting in with the modern movies (Beerus' 39 years thing only really works with Planet Vegeta being destroyed when Jaco was occurring).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 am

Hey guys, I've googled this and can't seem to find a clear pronunciation, but can somebody tell me exactly how "Jaco" is pronounced?

I've been saying "Jakko" but I wondered if maybe it's "Jokko"?

I've never heard it in English, I'd just go with that, and was hoping somebody could help me out.

Thank you!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 am

It's an "ah" sound, like in "calm".

It's not an "a" sound like in "plane" and it's not an "a" sound like in "tack".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Alrighty, thank you!

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:21 am

So, I have read Jaco the Galactic Patrolman a few days ago, and I noticed something. In DB minus Goku is send to Earth when he was 3 years old. Bulma is 5 years old at the time. But isn't Goku supposed to be 4 years younger? I'm also reading the first arc of Dragon Ball and we all know Goku said that he was 14 years old in chapter 2. But apparently he was wrong because at the Tenkaichi Budokai he says that he was actually 12. But what if he was right? Bulma is 16 so Goku would be 14. And Muten Roshi knows that Goku has landed with a spaceship. Of course we can also say that it's just Toriyama forgetting stuff, but what if Muten Roshi just counted the years since Goku was found and assumed he was 12, while he was actually 14 or 15 at the time of the 21st Budokai.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Taking place 10 years before the start of Dragon Ball places Jaco in AGE 739. Bluma was born in AGE 733, which would make her 5 going on 6.

Gine says its been three years since Goku was put in the incubator. If taken literally, that means Goku was born in AGE 736, which would make him one year older than we thought, but she could also be rounding for the sake of convenience (it does happen in the series). If Goku were born in January of AGE 737, he could still retain his original birth year and age by being in the incubator for roughly 3 years (737, 738 and up till August of 739). It would be a bit of a tight squeeze, but it can work.

I'm not sure we'll get anything on the matter though unless we get another set of manga exclusive guidebooks. They don't really seem to want to touch on the huge inconsistency that is the anime and manga's origins for Goku/Bardock's story.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Sapling

Post by Sapling » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 am

I'm curious, has the special edition of Jaco received a second printing yet?

I ask because I'm a sucker for first-print copies of Dragon Ball-related books. I ordered a copy from CD Japan with the intention of simply opening the book and scouring the publication information page. However, to my dismay, the thing arrived wrapped in plastic! The collector in me would hate to have to remove the shrinkwrap unnecessarily...

Does anyone own a second-print copy of this "Super Elite" version? Any info would be much appreciated!