"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Post by Wobbuffet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 am

(I know this is somewhat off-topic, but there was a thread to discuss about Kintoki, wasn't there?)

In edition 33 of Shonen Jump (2 weeks from now, if I'm not mistaken), a new series by Akira Toriyama will debut. It is called Ginga Patrol Jako. Here's a image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNr6XBxCcAAna3B.jpg

Source: Manganewsjapon https://twitter.com/manganewsjapon
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: (Semi-related) Akira Toriyama is going to write a new se

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 am

I like that girl's hat. :3

The girl herself actually looks like an older Marron.

It's nice to hear Toriyama's interested enough still to create another manga.

Part of me would like another DB manga by him, but I understand how dependent it is on the author's inspiration and drive.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:38 am

Interesting... Is it surely a series, or a one-shot?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 am

I don't know... Everybody is saying it is a series, but I can't confirm since I don't speak Japanese.
I suppose it is a series that will last only one volume, like he has done before.
This is My Anime List.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:00 am

Yeah, I think it will be a small series if it really is a series.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 am

I'm liking the look of it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

Chuquita wrote:I like that girl's hat. :3
Looks sort of familiar, heheh...

I get the feeling this is going to be another one-shot, most interviews I've seen of his he dreads the thoughts of those weekly deadlines with Dragonball, and I doubt he'd really stress himself out now being older and all.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 am

The "3連弾" ("three shots in a row") on there says to me that it's probably going to be a three-part miniseries running over three weeks, but it's hard to divine the context from what's obviously a snippet of a larger page.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am

HOLY COW!!

Here's a larger image, still not full page:

(source: http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=28240&page=310 )

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:39 am

Dude is still makin that bread lol. :clap:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 am

So the deal is that there are 3 one-shots coming from different artists, right? Any idea who the other two are? #3's name is cut off there.... And it's so blurry I can't read the furigana for #2.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am

Annnnnnnd here's a high res scan via AP Forums again http://www.imagebam.com/image/cc335d262356103

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:The "3連弾" ("three shots in a row") on there says to me that it's probably going to be a three-part miniseries running over three weeks, but it's hard to divine the context from what's obviously a snippet of a larger page.
Now I see. There'll be three one-shots. Ginga Patrol will be published in 07/13 and will have 33 pages.
The other two one-shots are the ones on the bottom of the page.
Did I get it right?

EDIT: Ignore this post, 33 is the number of the issue.
Last edited by Wobbuffet on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is My Anime List.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Even if it's just a one-shot rather than a new series, I'm still intrigued, since new Toriyama is always good.

Am I the only one getting Freeza vibes from the little alien thing in-between the girl and the old man? I think it's the purple dome.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Its starting to look like this IS actually a series. 新連載 at the top there means "New Series" right? Can I get a confident Japanese speaker to confirm this? (again please refer to this nice scan http://www.imagebam.com/image/cc335d262356103 )

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Brilliant! Nice to see that Toriyama still has a passion for working.

I'd eat my mouse, though, if this was actually going to be series length. Everything he has said or indicated post-Dragonball implies that he'll never sign himself up willingly to any kind of rigorous or deadline-heavy work again.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Its starting to look like this IS actually a series. 新連載 at the top there means "New Series" right? Can I get a confident Japanese speaker to confirm this? (again please refer to this nice scan http://www.imagebam.com/image/cc335d262356103 )
Yep, 3 new series, one starting in issue 33 (by Toriyama), one in issue 35 (by one Atsushi Nakamura) and one in issue 36 (by one Kazurou Kyou).
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:22 pm

And this is Weekly Jump? Not Ultra or SQ.? I can't believe he's doing a weekly series again, if that is the case. I could buy him doing a monthly, though.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm

B wrote:And this is Weekly Jump? Not Ultra or SQ.? I can't believe he's doing a weekly series again, if that is the case. I could buy him doing a monthly, though.
Well, it has to be Weekly Jump, if it's issue #33. Unless your calendar has a lot more pages than mine....

The entire page does explain what the "3 shots in a row" thing was for (three series, and not three chapters), but I'm still thinking that it's probably not going to be any longer than a single tankōbon's worth. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course...
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。