Anime Streaming Site Daisuki to stream Dragon Ball Z

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Anime Streaming Site Daisuki to stream Dragon Ball Z

Post by NessMudkip » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ll-z-anime

So Dragon Ball Z has been added to the lineup of shows on the streaming site Daisuki. It will be available in English and Japanese, and will be available to those in the US and Canada. What are your thoughts? Is it a fitting alternative to buying DVDs/Blu Rays?

I live in the UK so I can't tell if it'll be Dragon Box footage or otherwise, so can someone check that?
Last edited by NessMudkip on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Anime Streaming Site Daisuke to stream Dragon Ball Z

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Probably Season Set quality. Hulu was doing that (are they still doing that?) and never got very far.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:04 pm

4:3. Japanese title cards. Hard to tell if it's Dragon Box-based or FUNimation's Blu-ray remaster because of the super low quality. Looks way darker / more blue than Dragon Box, though.

Thanks for the heads-up!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm

It's not the Season Sets, but it's not the Dragon Boxes, either.

What did the Ultimate Uncut edition look like? Is this what it looked like?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:46 pm

The opening looks like it was taken from the films

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wasnt the Blu-ray's the only one to use them for the series (I remember there being a controversy about that??)

But if they had Japanese title cards for the bluray...they should have added them on the release :(

EDIT: Maybe these are from the new Blu ray there working on? We need some screen shots to see how cropped or not cropped these are from the last bluray :D
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:52 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:The opening looks like it was taken from the films
Oh, hey. You're right. Good catch. I guess since it was creditless I kinda skipped over that. Another clue would have been "Tenka'ichi Gohan" listed as an insert song, but nothing's there for text at all.
eledoremassis02 wrote:Wasnt the Blu-ray's the only one to use them for the series (I remember there being a controversy about that??)
Nah, they did that back in previous releases, too.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Nah, they did that back in previous releases, too.
Gonna have to get my singles outta the attic now :lol: It's interesting since Hulu had the orange bricks. More Mysteries from FUNimation!

Edit: daisuki's source is much less damaged than Hulus (dont know if that indicates something) but I would assume it's not the 1st Bluray since they took 99%-100% of the damage out of the frames.

Cropping is interesting too since you see as much of the sides on Daisuki's that you see on Hulu's orange bricks (which you see the most sides out of any release besides the 1st Bluray release).

Do note that I had to stretch Hulus as they did not line up properly. However, all the lines and such match.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:4:3. Japanese title cards. Hard to tell if it's Dragon Box-based or FUNimation's Blu-ray remaster because of the super low quality. Looks way darker / more blue than Dragon Box, though.

Thanks for the heads-up!
This is the quality they're offering at the moment? It's truly atrocious.

I can't watch DBZ from Daisuki though I'm able from Hulu, Nicktoons and FUNimation, I guess the proxy still needs another fix.

Watching the Orange Bricks for free ain't really isn't that bad.

DBZ from Hulu:

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Seems I hit a bad buffer after coming off a pause. It gets significantly better than that. Don't judge it exclusively off that one screen shot I had.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Seems I hit a bad buffer after coming off a pause. It gets significantly better than that. Don't judge it exclusively off that one screen shot I had.
That is true. Sometimes it looks close to bluray...sometimes not. I have not had consistent quality yet.

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:44 pm

The stream looked really good a few minutes ago, then my internet decided to be slow, and it started to look like Mike's first screenshot. It looks a lot like the DragonBoxes to me, though. Raditz's hair is blueish, instead of the dark black we get on most US releases. It doesn't look as dark as the Blu-rays, or as saturated as the Ultimate Uncuts.

Edit: here's a picture of the stream for reference.
Last edited by Alchemist Ed on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Looking at episode 4, this looks exactly like the Dragon Box footage.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Re: Anime Streaming Site Daisuki to stream Dragon Ball Z

Post by NessMudkip » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Looks like if the stream works properly that this is pretty nice quality then. That's cool. Still, it's a shame that you can't watch this in the UK. I'm alright because I have my Dragon Boxes, but still, it'd be nice to have a way to view almost Dragon Box quality footage online legally in the UK. Perhaps this is one for me to go and moan to MangaUK about :D
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Cool announcement! At least now there's a free legal option for those wanting to watch uncut Japanese DBZ in 4:3.

This honestly isn't a bad alternative to the Dragon Boxes if you don't mind the fact that you can't purchase it... :roll:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Weird, episode #4 had its credits but episode #1 is using a credit-less Opening master? Hmm...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm

This is actually really nice! I mean, for a standard definition anime-streaming website; it's pretty good. There are a few things bothering me though. What master are they even using for these episodes? I swear there is a difference in quality between the first episode and the rest. Going by the opening, the first episode doesn't look like it is using the Dragon Boxes. Goku doesn't have any pink skin tones, and there are no credits or Japanese lyrics. However, on the second episode's opening, it's like a straight rip from the Dragon Boxes. The only minor difference I see is that Steve Simmons' subtitles look brighter/shinier. I maybe seeing things though. :think: Oh and there seems to be a delay to the subtitles which is a bit disheartening.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:This is actually really nice! I mean, for a standard definition anime-streaming website; it's pretty good. There are a few things bothering me though. What master are they even using for these episodes? I swear there is a difference in quality between the first episode and the rest. Going by the opening, the first episode doesn't look like it is using the Dragon Boxes. Goku doesn't have any pink skin tones, and there are no credits or Japanese lyrics. However, on the second episode's opening, it's like a straight rip from the Dragon Boxes. The only minor difference I see is that Steve Simmons' subtitles look brighter/shinier. I maybe seeing things though. :think: Oh and there seems to be a delay to the subtitles which is a bit disheartening.

The quality is definitely decent, to me. I did notice that the credits didn't show up until episode 2, but who knows. The subtitle delay is a bit annoying, but bearable. I watched all 5 episodes in a row and I was able to enjoy them regardless. I'm not gonna complain since I'm not paying for it, and I have nothing better to do during downtime at work. I'm pleased with this overall.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 am

Pretty cool! I hope they dwell into Dragon Ball as well (I still need to watch that in Japanese and in good quality).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:57 am

Looking through it, here's what this is.

Episode 1 is from FUNimation's Blu-ray remaster. It's missing the opening and ending credits, it has the movie 1 stamp in the opening, the video size is somewhat larger, the colors are closer to FUNi's masters and there are no next episode previews. However, episode 2 through 5 are from the Dragon Box, as they feature credits for opening and ending, no movie 1 stamp and they include next episode previews.

Oddly enough, the next episode previews are not subtitled. Even odder is how the episodes are listed with FUNimation's episode titles, even though the subs show the actual titles. AND ON TOP OF THAT, episode 1 uses the Japanese title card, as opposed to how FUNi stuck with the English title cards on their release.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 am

Small list of issues just checking it quickly.

Quality isn't that great.
Scaling filter on the player is bad, so if you wanna watch it fullscreen it really looks terrible (in fact, the player itself just isn't good.)
The aspect ratio is wrong, it's actually stretched to 1.5 instead of 1.33 (this is the same thing that happens if player software doesn't correct for aspect ratio on a DVD.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.