Have you ever cheered for the villain during a fight?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Have you ever cheered for the villain during a fight?

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm

You know how a lot of people cheer The Joker when he does bad things. He's just that damn good at being a villain(Something that a lot of villains lack now a days). Now any time in the series have you have this type of moment? I have. I cheered for Freeza up till Goku turned SSJ. Freeza was just a fucking badass in my opinion. The way he slowly beat his foes is just awesome. I remember cheering for Gotenks Boo over Gohan. I forgot why through. I think it was the way he spoke and how his dialog was made out(Especially in the anime). Right now I'm cheering for Kronos in Dragonball NG(Fanfic) and if Dragonball AX(Fear of power saga) ever continue I'm cheering for all of the other universes villains(That's right AX had other universes before it was cool xD) You can use any media for this. Fanfics of DBZ count as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Have you ever cheered for the villain during a fight?

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 pm

I didn't cheer but I did like it when Freeza beat the piss out of Vegeta and made him feel what Vegeta did to countless others.

I've never cheered for the Joker either, Batman's too much of a badass. Okay, I like it when Joker kills minions or other evil people.

I don't cheer for evil characters, I'm an unabashed hero worshipper.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 am

I think it's safe to say 18 was a better person than Vegeta was so even though Vegeta is my favorite character it's hard to get too upset that she beat him.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 am

The villains are my favorite characters, so...

I cheered for Vegeta because I admired him for just not. Staying. Down. He was like the Terminator. After he survived the third supposedly fatal attack and still gathered enough power to curbstomp all the heroes to near death, I actually wanted him to win, because I kinda felt he DESERVED it at that point.

I cheered for Freeza when he was beating Vegeta to death, for actually showing him what true fear was. I was also kind of rooting for him whenever he got in a good hit on SS Goku, because he was able to put up a fight where most fighters would just get stomped.

I cheered for Cell after he one-shotted SS2 Gohan, cause I don't like Gohan all that much. Earlier I cheered when he annihilated 18 and 17 and ate them, because I hate those little shits, and it was nice to finally see them drop their smug smirks and feel fear and pain.

I cheered for Super Buu for pretty much the entirety of the Fusion Saga, because it was so fun watching him outwit our amazingly stupid heroes. It took not one, not two, but THREE ass pulls to save them, and Buu was admirably able to adapt to the situation the whole way. It's only by pure luck that the heroes got the God of Gods to hold their hand to give them a chance against Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 am

I wanted Vegeta to kill dende for not healing him. I guess the slap was good enough.. And that village that didn't get wished back. :lol:

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 am

My headcanon tends to be that they revived that village later with the new set of Namek balls, given how they chummy they were with Vegeta during the fight with Buu.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 am

I cheered for Cell when Gohan became arrogant.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

I've never cheered for any of Dragon Ball's absurdly evil villains. The closest I came to doing so was cheering for Vegeta while fighting Recoome. I suppose he was more of an anti hero, though.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Cell against Mr. Satan.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I've never cheered for any of Dragon Ball's absurdly evil villains. The closest I came to doing so was cheering for Vegeta while fighting Recoome. I suppose he was more of an anti hero, though.
This is one of my favorite Vegeta battles, if not my favorite.

It's true that we saw Vegeta over-exert himself on Earth (what I mostly attribute to him flubbing the battle), but I think seeing Vegeta tap into the FULL extent of his power for the first time was actually pretty awe-inducing, even if it was for a short segment.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:The villains are my favorite characters, so...

I cheered for Vegeta because I admired him for just not. Staying. Down. He was like the Terminator. After he survived the third supposedly fatal attack and still gathered enough power to curbstomp all the heroes to near death, I actually wanted him to win, because I kinda felt he DESERVED it at that point.
Wasn't that really only because Vegeta was THAT powerful, and only got injured because he was so cocky and overconfident? That's the way it always seemed to me at any rate.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Freeza torturing Vegeta. thought Vegeta is my favorite character EVER (Freeza is my favorite villain) but i like the way Freeza did it, just so badass that i can't resist not cheering for him :twisted: !

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Cheering might not be the right word, but I can't help feeling excited when Cell has reached his perfect form and pawns Vegeta.
There's always something exciting when a character is underestimated, beaten to crap and the adversary is so full of it that he ends up being humiliated himself and be like "oh, God, I should have taken him seriously!! I thought he was weak and now I'm at his mercy!!". The "You had it coming, you behaved like an asshole, now joke time is over" moments are always something great, even when it's on the villain's advantage.

But this is really the only time I feel good when watching the villain get the upper hand, because Vegeta REALLY pushed it and got the beating and humiliation he deserved. A nine-years old could have guess it was a TERRIBLE risk to let him get what he wanted, but Vegeta was so blinded by pride (his biggest flaw) that he lost even the most elementary common sense that a kid would have.

When later on, Goku and Gohan both make the mistake of being too much confident/arrogant, I don't feel like "yeah, serves you right!!" with them. They had legitimate reasons to think everything would be fine from now on (I'm not saying they didn't make a mistake). In a case like Gohan's, it's Cell who feels pathetic for pulling that last resort trick. You have to admit Gohan made a fatal mistake and got carried away, but you can understand more because there was no guessing that Cell back to his 2nd form was still dangerous, from what you perceived as the viewer/reader as well, you could act like him and say to Goku "please, him, dangerous? Now that almost everybody here can likely one-shot him? Tss, stop panicking, we've seen what is capable of long ago and he's clearly finished now, let's make him have a taste of our victory before we give the final blow".

Perhaps also because It was Cell who started being cocky and provoking Gohan, so it feels more of a natural reaction that when the situation reverses, you would want to enjoy it and tell him "who's the boss now?".
In both Goku and Gohan's cases, I identify more to them because they might be mistakes ultimately, but their reaction seems valid: like Goku, we may or may not think that give all of Gohan's previous outbursts getting him mad could prove spectacular and be the key, and like Gohan, we may or may not feel like having revenge over Cell and see him scared and powerless a little longer after the horrible torture he has inflicted on everyone just to play around.
But when it comes to Vegeta, it's definately a bad decision that is not understandable to us, probably every reader/viewer is thinking "That dumbass!! How is it possible to just let the villain get the ultimate power when everyone has done so much to prevent it!!"

So you feel like Piccolo after that, you're like "Vegeta, you'd better do great and fix the whole situation after that!!" and when of course he fails miserably, you're like "had it coming, dude. Enjoy the consequences of your behavior".

And for the Vegeta thing, Cell has a classy way to slowly show his overwhelming superioty, not forgetting to remind Vegeta that he basically did it to himself and thanking him for his stupidity! And Vegeta being powerless and like "God, what have I done?! How can it be!!"
So yeah, I would say this is exciting and that you feel excited for Cell because it's a twist on the classic "bad guy had it coming by playing/torturing the good guy" except this time, the good guy is actually the one who acted like an ass and the bad guy is the one that gets his well-deserved revenge, and despite the roles being inverted, it's still thrilling for the one getting his rightful "you had it coming" revenge!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I cheered for:

Omega Shenron

Broly

Kid Boo

Janemba (post Transformation)

Tullece

Dabura (against Fat Boo)

and I think Cooler, both times.

So yeah as you can probably tell I love the Mindless, maniacal man-slaughterers.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I loved when Vegeta kicked the living cuss out of the egomaniac known to some of you as Goku, the first time around and when Vegeta knocked his ass out as Majin Vegeta, but then again I didn't see Vegeta as the bad guy Goku in my opinion is the utlimate evil In DB/Z/GT as he was the reason it becoming boring especially in GT!!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Retan wrote:I loved when Vegeta kicked the living cuss out of the egomaniac known to some of you as Goku, the first time around and when Vegeta knocked his ass out as Majin Vegeta, but then again I didn't see Vegeta as the bad guy Goku in my opinion is the utlimate evil In DB/Z/GT as he was the reason it becoming boring especially in GT!!
He wasn't the reason. Toei was(GT).

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 pm

"I've never cheered for the Joker either, Batman's too much of a badass. Okay, I like it when Joker kills minions or other evil people."

Wierd, Batman is the only superhero in the DC universe I find utterly boring on his own, and if his Rougue Gallery weren't so great especially the Joker he would of flopped a long time ago, he'd be superman without the cool powers! (Just my take)

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Retan wrote:I loved when Vegeta kicked the living cuss out of the egomaniac known to some of you as Goku, the first time around and when Vegeta knocked his ass out as Majin Vegeta, but then again I didn't see Vegeta as the bad guy Goku in my opinion is the utlimate evil In DB/Z/GT as he was the reason it becoming boring especially in GT!!
He wasn't the reason. Toei was(GT).

Bullshit!!!!! Toei went with Goku, and Goku ultimately failed to entertain!!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:The villains are my favorite characters, so...

Wasn't that really only because Vegeta was THAT powerful, and only got injured because he was so cocky and overconfident? That's the way it always seemed to me at any rate.
No, not really. We saw people with the exact same power gaps not get up after attacks that Vegeta did. He didn't get injured because he was ever overconfident; it's not like he pulled a Cell and tried to tank something. He just got hit by a number of absurdly powerful attacks (a beating from kaio-ken x3 Goku, a x4 Kamehameha, a Spirit Bomb, being cut twice with a sword) that should've killed him and then just got back up (with more difficulty each time) to go back to kicking Goku in the ribs. Even the Power of Friendship couldn't stop him; Gohan, Krillin, and Yajirobe showed up to help Goku and he just beat the shit out of them too. He really had no reason to be alive after all of that, especially since we later see stronger characteres (Cui and Dodoria) get one-shotted by weaker attacks.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Retan wrote:"I've never cheered for the Joker either, Batman's too much of a badass. Okay, I like it when Joker kills minions or other evil people."

Wierd, Batman is the only superhero in the DC universe I find utterly boring on his own, and if his Rougue Gallery weren't so great especially the Joker he would of flopped a long time ago, he'd be superman without the cool powers! (Just my take)
You find Batman less interesting on his own than Plastic Man? Batman trained his ass off like Goku and he's a brilliant detective like Sherlock, I don't see how that's not interesting. He defeated Superman and stood up to Darkseid.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.