RPG anyone?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

RPG anyone?

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:27 pm

I noticed a few of you have the same cheesy DBZ RPG book as I do. Is anybody up for organizing an RPG? I enjoy playing them, but hate GMing them.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:43 pm

Sounds interesting. How do you play?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:58 pm

Complicated. Let's wait a bit for others to respond. Personally I'd like to cut steps out.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:00 pm

Trying it again eh, Dayspring? I'd say I'm in, but with November almost here... NaNo's going to eat up what time BT doesn't...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:22 pm

Xyex wrote:Trying it again eh, Dayspring? I'd say I'm in, but with November almost here... NaNo's going to eat up what time BT doesn't...
Who and what?

And no I'm not "at it again". As I said, I was never into GMing, just playing.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:16 pm

Can someone explain some of the terms you are using here?
I wouldn't mind some RPG action but I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about beyond that...
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:17 pm

askani son wrote:Can someone explain some of the terms you are using here?
I wouldn't mind some RPG action but I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about beyond that...
"GM" is the one who organizes the RPG and makes sure nobody cheats, etc. The rest I don't know either.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:11 pm

And the ever important question "WHAT do you do?!"
I take it it's kind of like D&D DBZ edition?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:16 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Xyex wrote:Trying it again eh, Dayspring? I'd say I'm in, but with November almost here... NaNo's going to eat up what time BT doesn't...
Who and what?

XD NaNo = National Novel Writting Month. *is writting a 50k word or more novel in November*

And you are at it again since you're trying to organize a DBZ RPG, which you did before. Just, last time, you planned to GM it yourself... lot harder than it sounds. x_x
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:59 pm

Well if enough people show an interest, I'm in. I haven't RP'd in a while. Would be fun to do some again. I wonder if we'll be allowed to make up our own characters and races or just stick with the ones from the series?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:04 pm

Ah I get it now, sounds pretty cool!! Count me in.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:08 pm

Xyex wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
Who and what?

XD NaNo = National Novel Writting Month. *is writting a 50k word or more novel in November*

And you are at it again since you're trying to organize a DBZ RPG, which you did before. Just, last time, you planned to GM it yourself... lot harder than it sounds. x_x
I wasn't aware National Novel Writing Month went by anything other than, well, "National Novel Writing Month." :P

Should we go according to that cheesy "official" DBZ RPG, or adapt them somehow? I still can't figure out what power levels are required for... (other than when you can learn certain techniques) :P
Also, they had a bad case of making shit up as they go along. I didn't even bother to buy the last two books.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:39 pm

I like the idea of having to reach a certain power level before going SSJ for Saiyans.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:45 pm

Oh god, do NOT play that game.

NO. NO. NO. NO.

That was the first table top RPG I ever played, it's what got me into D&D, and for that I love it, but do not - under any cercomstances - play that sorry excuse for a role playing game.

If you want to play an rpg, a real rpg, play D&D.

If you want to play a DragonBall rpg you need to make your own (and trust me that'll take a long time to get right, like 5 years and counting.)

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:48 pm

This might seem like a really stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by playing an RPG. I know what the term means in regards to video games but I have no idea clue what anyone here is talking about. Are you planning on creating your own game, or something like that? :?

EDIT - I just noticed the link that desirecampbell posted and I seem to understand the concept much better now.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:20 pm

I don't have said book, but I am always up for a good RPG experience. So that said, I'm willing to play.
-Laserkid

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:31 pm

I wasn't aware National Novel Writing Month went by anything other than, well, "National Novel Writing Month."
NaNoWriMo or NaNo for short. :P
This might seem like a really stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by playing an RPG. I know what the term means in regards to video games but I have no idea clue what anyone here is talking about. Are you planning on creating your own game, or something like that?
Ya, they're basicly trying to set-up an 'old school' RPG. The father of the current Video Game RPGs using pen and paper (er, well, killobytes and... er, killobytes in this case).
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:39 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Oh god, do NOT play that game.

NO. NO. NO. NO.

That was the first table top RPG I ever played, it's what got me into D&D, and for that I love it, but do not - under any cercomstances - play that sorry excuse for a role playing game.

If you want to play an rpg, a real rpg, play D&D.

If you want to play a DragonBall rpg you need to make your own (and trust me that'll take a long time to get right, like 5 years and counting.)
GOD, yes! Which is why I never got around to completing my RPGs over the years. Add the fact that the fad died down, table-top RPGs aren't popular, and the fact that I just want to play and not GM, and many attempts ended up falling flat.

As for Talsorian's gameplay... WTF was up with that?! I just visited their site. They blame most of it on FUNi and "everything will be explained in the next book." Turns out I'm only missing 1 book and not 2-3.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:46 pm

Dayspring wrote:GOD, yes! Which is why I never got around to completing my RPGs over the years. Add the fact that the fad died down, table-top RPGs aren't popular, and the fact that I just want to play and not GM, and many attempts ended up falling flat.

As for Talsorian's gameplay... WTF was up with that?! I just visited their site. They blame most of it on FUNi and "everything will be explained in the next book." Turns out I'm only missing 1 book and not 2-3.
Ha ha. 'Everything will be explained in the next book.' More like 'everything will be contradicted in the next book.' I hate that system, it's based off of their 'fuzion' system which is alright for 'regular' super heroes but in DragonBall Z everyone is basically a demi god in kung fu outfits.

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:53 pm

If you would like a proper RPG, go to the one in my signature. You can see some good RP battles on there occaionally. My username on that game is Saitô_Hajime, come by and say hello. :D
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]