Have you ever mark out for a character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Have you ever mark out for a character?

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:34 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: Other fandom has used marked before. Cheering and going crazy does kinda make sense lol. I explained what marking out means and people did post moments where they did mark out even if hey are not familiar with the term.
It's not so much the use of it, as others understood what you wanted to discuss by the way you explained it. But no one really got what "Mark/marking out" really meant - and is something that really needed explaining properly. I covered the basics well enough, and ABED covered its origin so it's really a non-problem now.
DynasticHunter wrote:Well I use to be a wrestling fan and I have never heard of that in my life although I have heard of "pop".
Well "Pop" is an OK word to use on air on generally, e.g. Mick Foley's "Cheap Pop" (playfully pandering to the crowd by saying how good it is to be in whatever city the event is being held, in hopes to get a reaction). Saying "Mark" is pretty much a no-no at a show, much like it would be if someone flat out said "Hey, guys this stuff is fake" whilst stood in the middle ring, live on TV. These terms are fine outside of the business nowadays with all these "shoot" inside scoop interviews with past and present wrestling stars.

To stay on topic: I'm struggling to think of anything in Toriyama's own writing that makes me "Mark out" at this very moment. Of course, it does happen to me but there are too many moments for me to think of to pinpoint it down to one. I can think of one for GT though (since it's considerably shorter) - There's just something about that final Genki-Dama in Episode 63 that just fills me with happy-chills, and of course the ending of the following episode too [though that's not exactly one specific moment because it's a mix of a flashback sequence and Goku walking].

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:01 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:
Goku: "Goodbye Freeza, never do mischief again. May you live the rest of your life in peace."
Why would Goku want Freeza to live in peace? He murdered countless lives and his best friend. The whole point of letting him live was so he could live with being humiliated by the species that he considered trash and beneath him which is in a way worse than death. Freeza was suppose to suffer with this scaring and not live in peace. Goku also doesn't want to be as bad as he is which is why he answered the plea and didn't finish him off.
It's a dub but the context of the scene for that line to make the same point was that living in "peace" is impossible now for him. Freeza says that... he responds something like he can never live in peace and then some lame stuff about being mighty. I just love Schemmel's delivery of that line. I also love his delivery of "How many people begged for their lives at your feet?! Did you show me mercy when I asked you to spare the life of my best friend..."
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

But the point isn't about Freeza, it's about Goku showing Freeza how badly he defeated him and how much he wants him to suffer. He believes living in shock of losing to a monkey is a fate worse than death. It would be assuming Freeza did nothing after losing. It's an instance of wanting to make Goku merciful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 pm

ABED wrote:But the point isn't about Freeza, it's about Goku showing Freeza how badly he defeated him. It's an instance of wanting to make Goku merciful.
Exactly! Wish I'd said that. Although totally different lines you're right it gave that same "I just kicked your ass message" without making Goku a bad ass. ...this is what we each "marked out" on not a thread about Funimation lol well put ABED
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Your choice. Still seems like the wrong lines to use. I prefer "Go crawl off someplace and hide, I don't really care"
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Moments that I really love where when Goku turns Piccolo's attack against him at the Tenkaichi Budokai, beating the crap out of Vegeta in their first fight, the moment after Freeza knees Goku in the stomach, telling him he's getting warmed up, and Goku replies, "I hope so, or I'd be disappointed", and Gohan turning Super Saiyan 2.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am

ABED wrote: Goku turns Piccolo's attack against him at the Tenkaichi Budokai,
Especially when he gets all up in Piccolo's face before the attack hits him. That smirk is priceless.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
What the hell is mark out?
Damn I thought more people would know :lol:
I only know crap like "groovy" "out of sight" "rockin" "bitchin" etc. You feel me ol chap.
I'm just turning 19 next month, and I've never heard any of this "mark out" business before. I initially misread the title as "Would you ever make out for a character?" and I was like "don't you mean 'with a character,' and also that's a stupid question."
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.