Your favorite voice for Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Your favorite voice for Goku?

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am

ringworm128 wrote:It may not be fitting for Goku but it's still a corny but cool speach. It's one scene I would love to see with Kai level voice acting.
Maybe at a convention sure. But I never want to see that speech in the series again EVER.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
he thinks the speech is appropriate to Goku (which, given some of the things he's said in past cons, I doubt somewhat)
He mocked the speech a few times. If I remember he said "Damn Goku shut up". Then he proceeds to make a joke saying

I am the ugh...Hope of the universe
I am the..augj

CREATURE OF THE NIIIIGHT!
Lol, I remember that vid. Though I wish you wouldn't have quoted my post to make it look like I said I think he does (because I don't believe he thinks it fits the character).
dbzfan7 wrote:Anyone who knows Goku should know that speech is just so wrong. It would work for the Great Saiyaman, but not Goku.
You missed the entire point of my post, didn't you? The only reason I can honestly believe he likes the speech (beyond some sort of nostalgia) is that fans request it so much, and he likes making fans happy. A few of the improvements in Kai were from his in-booth decisions (Corrected pronunciations, "Son Goku", etc).

I don't think the person who insisted on doing a take with "I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!" would honestly believe "Hope of the Universe" fit more. So, like I said, he probably enjoys it for being able to light up the faces of the fans who do love it. Just because he didn't agree with a lot of the decisions of the old dub (his words, not mine), doesn't mean he dislikes the fans who enjoyed the show at that time.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 am

Seriously, though, Masako Nozawa.

Nobody brings such genuine warmth, sincerity, folksy charm, and childlike enthusiasm as Nozawa in her Goku. And at the same time, when her Goku is in combat, when he's angry, when he's being serious, there's also a sharpness and determination that comes through crystal clear. When I hear Nozawa's Goku I smile. You can feel the character really spring to life, a bizarre, but wonderful character she makes somehow believable with her unique sound and delivery.

No English dub VA quite comes close enough to that level of quality. Kelamis, who is Nozawaesque at times, is my preferred English voice of the lot, but he's a bit inconsistent. For every scene he nails, he falters in another. Sean Schemmel has made strides, but still sounds just a little too brawny, and his delivery is paint-by-numbers. Ian Corlett sounds a bit bland and unconvincing as the character. Kirby Morrow sounds too serene. Yurk is just a dime store Morrow. Watson had potential, but his delivery was too raw.

It'll be interesting to hear who Ocean casts as Goku in the Ocean dub of Kahahahahahaha, that's never going to happen!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:21 am

Here's a link to the con where he does, indeed, mock that speech a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcM31K_-Jd0#t=22s

Then again, as can be seen by his parodies and songs, he's a bit on the goofy side, so who knows (he's also a Zen Buddhist, and played the French Horn in an Orchestra at one point I believe).

And good to see Penguintruth in the topic. Wouldn't be the same without him.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:08 am

Nozawa Masako, of course.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 am

Masako Nozawa IS Goku. Some wonder why they chose to keep her to voice adult Goku, well she made the role so much hers that it would be an insult if they took it away. She takes so much pride in being Son Goku... it's amazing.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 am

Kai Sean Schemmel for sure, he really nails it.

As for Nozawa, I'm pretty much for the most part indifferent towards it. Don't hate it but don't particularly like it either. She's perfect in the roles of Kid Goku and Gohan (Still have yet to watch the Buu Saga subbed for Goten) but for the adult versions, I just dunno.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 am

I really love Corlett's voice, I feel like he was the best voice actor when it came to switching between Goku's various moods (I can't really speak on Nozawa because I can't gauge Japanese inflection). Goku is a happy/dumbfounded/serious/fatherly guy all in one package, and I think Corlett really showcased all of those things as well as the script and the medium allowed him to.

I love Peter Kelamis' harking to Nozawa's style, I think he did it really tastefully. World's Strongest is still one of my favorite DBZ dubs.

I think Sean Schemmel is a good Goku, but I just prefer the other two over him.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:04 am

Commander_Red wrote:Masako Nozawa IS Goku. Some wonder why they chose to keep her to voice adult Goku, well she made the role so much hers that it would be an insult if they took it away. She takes so much pride in being Son Goku... it's amazing.
I agree completely. She is Goku, and always will be.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 pm

penguintruth wrote:Seriously, though, Masako Nozawa.

Nobody brings such genuine warmth, sincerity, folksy charm, and childlike enthusiasm as Nozawa in her Goku. And at the same time, when her Goku is in combat, when he's angry, when he's being serious, there's also a sharpness and determination that comes through crystal clear. When I hear Nozawa's Goku I smile. You can feel the character really spring to life, a bizarre, but wonderful character she makes somehow believable with her unique sound and delivery.

No English dub VA quite comes close enough to that level of quality. Kelamis, who is Nozawaesque at times, is my preferred English voice of the lot, but he's a bit inconsistent. For every scene he nails, he falters in another. Sean Schemmel has made strides, but still sounds just a little too brawny, and his delivery is paint-by-numbers. Ian Corlett sounds a bit bland and unconvincing as the character. Kirby Morrow sounds too serene. Yurk is just a dime store Morrow. Watson had potential, but his delivery was too raw.

It'll be interesting to hear who Ocean casts as Goku in the Ocean dub of Kahahahahahaha, that's never going to happen!
I agree on Kirby Morrow sounding too serene. I don't think he was as bad as some say but I never once felt like his Goku was truly angry.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 pm

My preferences:

Dragon Ball:

Kid Goku: Nozawa (duh)
Teen Goku: Nozawa (except for the "first" time Schemmel goes "Hi ya!" at the 23 Budokai and we all know then and there it is Goku..love that dub scene) (I also like Schemmels interactions [acting] with Chi Chi better than Nozawa's)

Dragon Ball Z
Adult Goku up until he goes Super Saiyan: Nozawa (except for a few moments where I prefer Schemmel like when he powers up against Ginyu I like his portrayal better)

Adult Goku from Super Saiyan until the end of the series: Sean Scemmel (don't get me wrong I respect and love Nozawa she's the one I chose for my avatar over my pic with Schemnel after all but I just like how Schemmel sounded when he'd turn on a dime from happy to stern from the Freeza arc onwards).

Kai...
Why bother?...jk Abed. I haven't seen a lot of it in Japanese so no opinion.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:08 pm

I managed to get used to Masako Nozawa's voice back in middle school, and someone it ended up being "the" Goku voice for me. No idea how that happened since I watched a lot less Dragon Ball then compared to elementary school years.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

penguintruth wrote:Kelamis, who is Nozawaesque at times, is my preferred English voice of the lot, but he's a bit inconsistent.
Exactly how I feel when it comes to English VA's for Goku, Kelamis was at times great to listen to as Goku however I always felt like he never really got into the role enough, he probably didn't expect to be in DBZ very long and his main aspiration was comedy.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 pm

ringworm128 wrote:It may not be fitting for Goku but it's still a corny but cool speech. It's one scene I would love to see with Kai level voice acting.
It doesn't normally fit Goku, but you have to know that when Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan, his dialgoue initially started getting all philosphical. From what I remember in the manga, he was saying a bunch of lines that were almost as corny as the "Ally to Good! Nightmare to you!" speech.
The world's greatest.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:It may not be fitting for Goku but it's still a corny but cool speech. It's one scene I would love to see with Kai level voice acting.
It doesn't normally fit Goku, but you have to know that when Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan, his dialgoue initially started getting all philosphical. From what I remember in the manga, he was saying a bunch of lines that were almost as corny as the "Ally to Good! Nightmare to you!" speech.
I agree with this. Even if the "Ally to good" speech was out of character so was the Japanese one to an extent. Until then I don't think Goku had ever once bragged about who he was and also despised his Saiyan heritage. He also made it clear he couldn't care less about the legend of Super Saiyan earlier on. And yet there he was suddenly becoming all self-aware that he's become a super saiyan and bragging about it even going as far as calling himself a proud saiyan. It was like he'd suddenly turned into Vegeta.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Goku first appeared as proud of being a Saiyan when he a made a speech to Frieza about defeating him before fighting him.

Which was similarly as corny as the "Ally to Good, Nightmare to You" speech.
The world's greatest.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 pm

He still seemed to be sort of in denial about his heritage during the fight with Frieza like when he has that vision of Vegeta and says "I'm not a saiyan like you".

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:42 pm

90sDBZ wrote:He still seemed to be sort of in denial about his heritage during the fight with Freeza like when he has that vision of Vegeta and says "I'm not a saiyan like you".
Anime-only scene. Goku's spirit was probably considerably broken by Frieza at that point, which could be why Goku said that.
The world's greatest.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Favourite one: Henrique Feist (portuguese dub)
Best one: Masako Nozawa
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Honestly, all the Goku's have that one thing keeping them from being great, but I do think Kelamis, Corlett and even Watson had great voices for the character and Nozawa has the best acting. So yeah. I have no favorite. XD