Thoughts on DBZ Movie 1

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Thoughts on DBZ Movie 1

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

So, I'd like to start a thread like this for each of the movies, to get a feel of what Kanzenshuu thinks of them, starting with this one.

Personally, I really liked it. Garlic Jr. to me represents an evil, powerful Pilaf, he has a strong motivation as a villain, and an interesting backstory. The fight scenes resembled those of Dragon Ball rather than those in Z, which I consider a good thing. It had both dark and funny moments, and made use of the supporting cast, such as Chi-Chi, Piccolo, and Krillin. And, IMO, the plot, while being somewhat of a redo of the first few episodes of Z, was well done.

Thoughts?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on DBZ Movie 1

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, I'd like to start a thread like this for each of the movies.
If you're gonna make a thread for each of the movies, wouldn't it make sense to start with the first one. :wink:

Anyway, what I like most about this film is the animation and background music. Garlic Jr.'s castle is an interesting setting and it's nice that the characters can fight indoors without having to blow up the entire place, unlike later on in the series. :roll:

Particularly like the animation in that flashback sequence of Garlic's father. Really produces an atmosphere that's unique to this film.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

I love The Dead Zone soooooooooo much! Especially while listening to Ocean with it. :D I love the fight scenes and the spooky looking castle. I usually try to watch it every Halloween.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, I'd like to start a thread like this for each of the movies.
If you're gonna make a thread for each of the movies, wouldn't it make sense to start with the first one. :wink:
Well, I haven't seen any of the DB movies, so I wouldn't be able to participate in my own thread, which would kinda suck :P That's why I put "DBZ" movies in the title.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote: Anyway, what I like most about this film is the animation and background music. Garlic Jr.'s castle is an interesting setting and it's nice that the characters can fight indoors without having to blow up the entire place, unlike later on in the series. :roll:

Particularly like the animation in that flashback sequence of Garlic's father. Really produces an atmosphere that's unique to this film.
Agreed about the setting. We could use more indoor battles. It does seem kinda convenient that all the big fights happen in wide open areas, or tournament grounds.
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Animation - A. Very fluent and nice to look at. Saw little to no error and every scene looks great. The fighting with Garlic Jr vs Piccolo and Goku looks very awesome. The colors blend in nicely

Plot - B. Nice little plot. Great motivates from Garlic. Not just showing up and destroying like the next few movie villains will. He got a great back story and every character look useful. Even fucking Chi Chi.

Music - A. Great Music as always.

Fighting - A+++++++++++++. Do I miss the old days of hand to hand combat and even fights. Reminds me of Great Dragonball(Debatable if this is DB or DBZ through the title say DBZ). It was so fun to watch great fighting. Also great to see the power pole again. All the fights seems balanced and not just 1 sided fight we see in every movie after this.

Edit: I'll also say that this is the best DBZ movie. Only one that comes close is Bojack but no even fights happen.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 am

Lets wait for Mike's answer.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 am

It's my favorite DB OST and my second favorite of the DBZ movies. Great setting, too, like everyone else said, which plays a lot into how colorful and fun this movie is to watch.

Really, the first three DBZ movies are great all around. Just a nice solid chunk of quality entertainment there.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am

Storm wrote:It's my favorite DB OST and my second favorite of the DBZ movies. Great setting, too, like everyone else said, which plays a lot into how colorful and fun this movie is to watch.

Really, the first three DBZ movies are great all around. Just a nice solid chunk of quality entertainment there.
Remove The third movie and your post is perfect :lol: . One thing I did like about the first 2 movies are the even fights. The fighting looks way more awesome when they're even fights.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:18 am

Tree Of Might is my favorite DBZ movie. :evil:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 am

Storm wrote:Tree Of Might is my favorite DBZ movie. :evil:
We'll wait till Kamicollo9's Thoughts of DBZ movie 3 to continue this debate. Cause I HATE that flim

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 am

Generally a goodie and certainly one of the best. Garlic Castle is beautifully eerie, the fights being almost entirely physical is a huge plus, Garlic Jr's transformation actually took a plausible amount of time, and his motivation for revenge makes sense because he's so depraved that he would hold his father's grudge. Kami stepping up and fighting a battle he can't win. The demonic vibe from the whole thing is excellent- the henchmen's introduction, the Dead Zone being the maws of Hell, so to speak, and how fitting it was the henchmen were so utterly terrified of Piccolo- Demon spawn of high stock- that Garlic Jr. did the smart thing and attempted to take him out first. But the raising of the evil dead sequence, oh man, that blew my mind the first time I saw it. Chuck Huber's take on Garlic's "Let this World be drenched with blood" speech quickly made it one of my favorites in the series, can't wait to see Chiba's version whenever I finally get the Funi 5-pack. It's being the shortest of the bunch can also be a plus.

On the other hand, the movie is hella awkward in a number of places. Where did Garlic come from? Garlic was locked away in a nondescript seal (The Dead Zone?) yet both had a son, and said son got out? Why does Ginger's Kiai give the screen a heart attack? Where did the henchies come from? How can they track Dragon Balls? Why do never see Gohan's raging energy blast against Garlic Jr. from a top-down perspective? Gohan gets angry and then this ki wall whose size and shape we don't know just appears; it would not be an issue if it wasn't so random.

You notice I'm not even bringing up Garlic's killing Piccolo and Kami despite wanting to use the Dragon Balls, because it would make sense he wouldn't know about that detail. Say what you will about the rest of the DBZ movies, but most of them either give clear reason as to where their villains come from or some grounds for inferring; Garlic Jr. and his trio basically emerge from the either. As does Dr. Wheelo, but that's for next topic (Which I'm looking forward too, it' is actually vying for me number 1 spot).

One of my personal Dragon Ball wishes would be to see a modern, high res version of the Dead Zone itself. The movie's version is one of the most dated-looking things in the series, but the concept is terrifying.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 am

I was laughing so hard when I heard the henchmen scream their names right before an attack on Goku. "Ginger Bread! Tooty Fruity! Cheese!"

Other than that.. Nothing else was that amusing. Gohan getting drunk and Goku using his power pole was nice! I really missed him using that power pole.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 am

It's been a long time since I've seen anything past the first three, but movie one is fantastic! Everything about it, the music, the animation, the pacing, and the voice acting too (in both Japanese and the FUNimation/Pioneer release with Ocean's cast) are excellent. It's not entirely centered on Goku, which is always a good thing. Even Kami-sama gets involved. Garlic Junior and his henchmen are all interesting enough and don't overstay their welcome (at least not within the movie). It'd probably be number one if I compiled a top three list, all though everything from movies four to ten sorta blurs together.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 am

KingofWisdom wrote:It's been a long time since I've seen anything past the first three, but movie one is fantastic! Everything about it, the music, the animation, the pacing, and the voice acting too (in both Japanese and the FUNimation/Pioneer release with Ocean's cast) are excellent. It's not entirely centered on Goku, which is always a good thing. Even Kami-sama gets involved. Garlic Junior and his henchmen are all interesting enough and don't overstay their welcome (at least not within the movie). It'd probably be number one if I compiled a top three list, all though everything from movies four to ten sorta blurs together.
You raised a good point that'd I'd like to add to.
This is the only time we see Kami actually fight. Yes, he finger flicked Goku, fought Yamcha as Shen, and blocked Piccolo's punch, but in this movie, he actually takes on the main villain. And puts up a decent fight! I love how this movie paid attention to the supporting cast.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 am

I'm mad at you now Kamiccolo9! :P BECAUSE! Now I gotta watch this movie again! :D
My rage towards you right now!
Image :P Hahaha Just kidding :D I loved how Goku says in the Ocean Dub ''Bring it on! I'll take ya all on!'' haha :) and I agree with TheGmGoken. I miss the old days of martial arts fighting in DragonBall Z.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:19 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: can't wait to see Chiba's version whenever I finally get the Funi 5-pack.
Shigeru Chiba doesn't actually voice Garlic Jr. in the movie; that would be Akira Kamiya, best known as Kenshiro from Fist Of The North Star.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:22 am

I watched it again recently, and I too wondered where Garlic Junior came from if his father was locked away. Especially since it happened three hundred years ago. I guess it's not worth overthinking.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:47 am

Storm wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: can't wait to see Chiba's version whenever I finally get the Funi 5-pack.
Shigeru Chiba doesn't actually voice Garlic Jr. in the movie; that would be Akira Kamiya, best known as Kenshiro from Fist Of The North Star.
Forgot Chiba was the replacement! :oops:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:49 am

It's an easy mistake to made. I thought the same thing until I saw the movie in Japanese, and Chiba does great as Garlic in the TV show.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:07 am

Really loved the animation. Really vibrant and colourful. The fight scenes are also superbly choreographed. Fun/decent story with some enjoyable villains. I only loved it when it came to the Japanese version though. Funi's dub was terrible IMO.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin