Thoughts on DBZ Movie 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Thoughts on DBZ Movie 2

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 am

Here's the link to M1 http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24404

So, Movie 2. I liked it. It had a sort of horror B-movie aspect that none of the rest of the series had. Like the first movie, it makes the supporting cast relevant, and the villain is unique and interesting. And the creepy old guy with the gun hand is cool :P

Thoughts?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on DBZ Movie 2

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:58 am

This movie has an amazing title-card. That is all. :P

Seriously though, when I watch the DBZ Movies 1 &. 2 Double Feature, I turn out the lights and constantly watch it over and over again. Doesn't help that there's an awesome drumbeat playing in the background.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 am

As you said, Uiro is an intriguing villain, one we haven't seen before. I liked the henchmen too and their special abilities.

The more I think about it, Uiro is one of the better movie villains.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am

Definitely one of my most favourite DBZ movies of all time.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 am

Animation - C. A real downgrade from the last movie. Not bad but could have been better. I didn't really feel the colors like I do in some of the other films. I feel like they spent less time on this movie.

Plot - C+. Urio is a decent villain in my opinion. But as I think of Ginyu. I've seen to many shows counting other countries animation that has the plot of taken someone else body. If it by accident or purpose. But the Bio Warrios was the best little mini plot. They were experiments I believe. Really good IMO. Urio's take on taken Roshi's later Goku's body is different from most. Gohan power raising up was a great thing as well. So decent plot but sadly over-used.

Music - A. Great Music as always. I can say this for any movie. With exception of Funimation Dub music until we get to Meta Cooler which I'll discuss when the time is needed.

Fighting - B-. The fighting with the Bio Warriors was great. Everything was awesome about them. Sadly through the Urio fight didn't live up to my expectations. To me it fell flat. This is my opinion on the fighting. Through the best fight scene was Gohan FAILING with the power pole and Goku using it correctly. Something I wished we saw more of in the manga-anime. This also makes me quite upset as the Urio vs Goku and Piccolo fight was not all that even sadly. With this begins the "Beating the henchmen but the main boss is to much to fight".

Fun Fact: This movie starts the trend of Genki Dami(Officially known as Genki Dama) being used in the next 2 movies.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:39 am

Possibly my favorite DBZ movie. And Ocean Dub ftw
The world's greatest.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 am

Last time ever we see Master Roshi fighting, it was kinda strange seeing him fight evenly with enemies, that forced post Kaio training Goku to use Kaioken. but overall, if you ignore PL inconsistency, good movie, with nice fighting scenes and scenery, but, it got strange plot elements, if Uiro assistant could leave cave to gather Dragon Balls, why did he wait 50 years to do so? I`ve read in Kawaii, Polish anime magazine from July/August 2001 , that this movie was hated the most by fans, for bland scenario.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:52 pm

I liked this movie more than 1. It was nice seeing Master Roshi in a serious matter again. The first kamehameha trio! I didn't really like the spirit bomb at the end though.. :?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:09 pm

For some reason, I've always really liked this movie. It's almost got a different feel from the rest of the DBZ movies, and I think the almost sci-fi horror vibe it has going is a major part of that. The bio-warriors themselves don't have a lot going for them other than unique designs (barring the obvious Saibamen clones :P ), but Wheelo himself is a really interesting villain - even if I'm still convinced now that he's basically a port of Mamo from the Lupin the 3rd franchise - and Kochin makes a fun enough right-hand-man for him.

What really makes the movie fun though is the setting. There's a bit of action in ice-covered, snowy mountains, which we hadn't seen since the Mucle Tower material, and then a lot of stuff in a laboratory, which we hadn't had at all before then. And this movie also gives us our last Goku V.S. Piccolo fight, something I've always liked, even if it ends up coming short.

Really there's only two things about this movie that I don't like, and only one of them exists in the original version. Firstly, the Gohan insert song. The one in movie 1 was cutesy too, but it fit a lot better into the film, given the circumstances around it's appearance. With this one though, it just feels shoehorned in IMO, never been a fan of it really. It also played havoc on my young brain when I would play the 'try to put the movies where they'd go in the series!' game, due to the brief shot of Piccolo's sacrifice against Nappa. Gah. Secondly, is the FUNimation re-dub of the film. I love having everything with it's consistent cast now, and for the most part I prefer FUNi's cast over the Ocean one - but there's three roles present in this film that I feel Ocean nailed a lot better. First would be Oolong, who actually sounds close to his Japanese counterpart instead of a chain-smoker; mainly though, it's Wheelo and Kochin. Kochin's Ocean voice actually sounds like a despicable-yet-decrepit old man, something Troy Baker didn't quite manage in the re-dub (and he'd already used the voice for Hoi in movie 13 as it was). And as much as I like R. Bruce Elliot, he just didn't have the same gravitas as the Ocean VA in the role.

I'd probably put this one in my top 5 of the DBZ movies, but I'm not really sure where for sure.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 pm

What I loved! Roshi's decent non-drunken appearance and fight, Kaioken bits, Dr. Kochin actually being first Cyborg in DBZ and not being made by RR, the soundtrack with the Makafushigi Adventure bit! Still having that Dragon Ball feel in fights and atmosphere. The next movie is pure DBZ.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, my two word review would be: Disappointing. Unremarkable.
The villains are nothing special, and neither is the action. I like it when Kuririn gets smacked and he makes his, "Why me?!" comment. It's nice seeing Oolong, Roshi, and Bulma. The Mystical Adventure musical cue was great too. Ultimately, the villains bring it down. The Bio-Warriors are forgettable and have no personality, while Kochin and Uiro are stock mad scientists. Piccolo's brainwashing wasn't well-executed.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Well but I still must say that in the realm of Dragon Ball movies, these were probably the last original villains for long time together with Garlic, Bojack, Janemba and Hildegarn.... Not much, more than half are flat out series rip-off (well, Janemba is based on Buu a little).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm all for something new, but it has to be done well. I don't think it was. I'd also argue that copying and pasting a tired trope into the movies isn't any better than having characters like Tullece or Coola.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:33 pm

I think it's a decent movie with some good fight scenes but overall feels a bit tacky and rushed and I like Dead Zone better. I mean did they really HAVE to make Goku vs Wheelo a complete rehash of Goku vs Vegeta? I've noticed Toei seem to have a thing for shirtless Goku. I don't have a problem with it usually but in this movie he just randomly goes shirtless with no explanation. I guess we're just expected to assume his Kaiokenx4 just caused his shirt to disappear into thin air. And the Spirit Bomb felt tacked on. The movie was more like a showcase of all of Goku's techniques rather than a battle.

It's like Toei had a checklist:

-Have Goku use Kaiokenx2
-Have him use Kaiokenx3
-Have him engage in a beam struggle and then resort to Kaoikenx4
-Oh crap we forgot to have him get his shirt ripped off! Oh well let's just make him shirtless and hope nobody questions it
-Have him use spirit bomb

As tacked on as the Spirit Bomb felt in this movie it felt even more tacked on in Lord Slug where Goku had literally already won but still used the Spirit Bomb to finish Slug.

And as others have said the part with Gohan dreaming and singing didn't work in this movie. In Dead Zone they worked his hallucinating and singing into the plot and it was actually pretty funny but in this it just feels annoying. Although it did make me think of this. What if the Canon series is all just one big dream of Gohan's in the movie universe and vice-versa?
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Oooh, I know a quote from this one.

"You're crazy if you think I'm gonna let you get your hands on my brain! Forget about it!"

Kochin's laugh in the old ocean dub cracks me up too.

There's a lot of fan service in this movie. Roshi fighting, the little Dragon Ball theme score in that one fight, Goku VS Piccolo, Goku with the Nyoibo....

But. It takes FOREVER to get to the action. So I prefer Dead Zone.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:04 pm

The song sequence does feel obligatory, after happening two movies in a row (even if it's the second-to-last time it happens). The moment doesn't bother me, it's the song itself. Rather than being cute, it makes me feel embarrassed, especially because of Piccolo and Gohan's questionable relationship.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Genki Dami(Officially known as Genki Dama).
Huh? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Genki Dami(Officially known as Genki Dama).
Huh? :?
Sprite Bomb. Genki Dama. Official names. I like to call it Genki Dami

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

90sDBZ wrote:What if the Canon series is all just one big dream of Gohan's in the movie universe and vice-versa?
:shock: Wow. I love that idea. Also, I never noticed the magic shirt-begone dealie. I will watch for that next time.

I totally agree that the insert song isn't as good as in movie 1, and it was shoehorned. Were they planning on putting an insert song into every movie? I have always wondered this. That could have been cool if it were well-executed.

I would lump this movie in with the good ones, but it's low on my list. The thing that bothers me the most is the music placement. It's so sparse! Does this bother anyone else?

Best part is Master Roshi in action. Also, that shot of Gohan deflecting that blast that I've always thought was an homage to Akira. I love that.

I don't like the end theme though. Nor do I like the montage during the credits, which is just clips from the climax of the movie. It's redundant.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:33 am

Liking these threads, Kamiccolo. Can you start the Movie 3 thread yet?