Thoughts on DBZ Movie 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Thoughts on DBZ Movie 4

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Movie 1-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24404
Movie 2-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24418
Movie 3-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24428

So, Movie 4-The Piccolo Daim- I mean Lord Slug.
Not a big fan of this movie. As much as I love the Namekians in general, Slug completely fails to interest me as a villain. His henchmen are okay though, and I do like Piccolo taking them on. The weakness to whistling was a nice touch, something different. But I am getting tired of the Genki Dama by this point. I do really like "False" Super Saiyan though. Overall, I give this one a C-.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KingofWisdom
Regular

Re: Thoughts on DBZ Movie 4

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I liked it as a kid, probably because I had no idea who Piccolo Daimao was. Yeah, not a good movie. I don't think it's my least favorite, but it's close.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Better than Movies 3, 7, 8, and 10, at least. I don't think it's bad. Animation's kind of wonky, but at least the non-Gokus get to do something. Slug is kind of bland, but meh, I wasn't really expecting anything big from the film villains anyway. He does his job. Mostly I like Piccolo's role; he actually gets to take the not-demon spawn from not-King Piccolo, and plays a fairly big role in Slug's final defeat. Hell, even Chi Chi got a fight. Also, FSS >>>>>> SS. Spirit Bomb sucks, and Slug's defeat as a total anticlimax, but what ya gonna do?

It's not good, but it's nowhere near the worst, like I often see it put at. No, if I had to pick, I'd say Movie 7 is the worst.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Another pretty boring movie. The only thing I kinda like about it is the False-SSJ scene.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Yeah, it's boring, and wish they had used this film to give Piccolo the spotlight more.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 pm

I like some aspects of this movie.

I like the idea of another very strong Namekian besides Piccolo and Nail. Slug belongs to the Dragon warrior family and he is pure evil.

I like a lot the false Super Saiyan and white eyes and all that. The idea that Goku becomes a false SSJ by an impulse of rage is really good too. When no one had power to give, Goku had to do it on his own.

Slug became stronger when turned into giant? It makes no sense to me. Well, I hate the giant Namekian idea.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for this one, but yeah, there's not a lot to it. Don't like it or hate it, it just kinda is.

Despite the cringe-worthy dialogue, I do have a soft-spot for the English dub due to the musical score with the "real rock bands". I know a lot of people hate that sort of thing, but when I was younger I just thought it was the coolest thing ever and it really gave the film a more cinematic feel.

The Super Saiyan thing came out of no where. There was like a two minute sequence and then Kaio mentions it a couple of times, but that's it. They named the film "Super Saiyan Son Goku" for the sake of dragging kids into the theatres. It's even more random in the English dub where the film's simply called 'Lord Slug'.

The animation in this movie, I also have a soft-spot for. It reminds me a lot of the promotional artwork that was floating around for the series in the early 2000s. I'm tempted to call it "Text Book DBZ". :P

And the best thing about this film?
Yep, got those nostalgia goggles strapped firmly to my face. I think the Funimation version of this film really defines those years where DBZ was at the peak of its popularity in the US.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 am

I love this movie somehow. Not sure why, possibly the soundtrack (the BGM that plays when Gokū does that last Kaiō-ken after Piccolo gave him energy? Just epic). I cannot explain for the life of me why I love it so much, but I do.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:59 am

Animation - C. Not bad and not good. Seem more or less like an average DBZ episode animation. Nothing special about it. Movie 1 still got the best animation out of all movies

Plot - C. Nothing boring like Tree of Might and nothing to bash it. Great work making Piccolo,Krillin, and Gohan not Goku's bitches. Everyone get's a chance to have a spotlight if you're in the movie. even Chi Chi. Through the plot after Giji SSJ was a downgrade. The dialog should had said Kaioken x100 and make that the ending. Not another Genki Dami(officially known as Genki Dama) ending. I mean when the next time you'll see a kaioken x100? The ear weakness if every unique I'll give it that so was Giji SSJ.

Music - C. Great Music as always is what I usually will say. But something about this movie in ALL BGM's of it is just isn't right.(Same thing I said about movie 3)

Fighting - C. The henchmen fight was awesome. Goku vs Lord slug? Not so much. That's all I got to say.

So basically this movie is just average. I would't bash it nor will I'll suggest it.

P.S. Does anyone think this should have been Piccolo's movie?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 am

Every once in a while I have that moment where I want to marathon the dragonball movies and then I'm reminded of this one..

This is the worst dragonball movie to me.

I did like the whole false super saiyan thing, just wish it was longer. But I guess we kind of got that in movie 8 huh?

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 am

Finally watched it in Japanese a few weeks back.

It's good for what it is and gets to the point/action straight away. Found the fights pretty enjoyable except Goku's fight with Slug was lacklustre except the whole false SSJ moment.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 am

My first official DBZ DVD i bought in 2003, i really like this movie, much better than 3rd one, enjoyed False SSJ concept, i think it`s closer to what Vegeta said, a bloodlust warrior, i liked Slug, he was pure evil, you could even get Freeza vibes from him, when he killed his henchmen without any reason, Z Warriors are not cannon fodder anymore, and get chance to shine, even Chi-Chi.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:47 am

Team Fourstars version of this movie is probably the best version I've seen. It's pretty easy fodder though, so much in it is just too ridiculous.

I hated that movies 1-3 introduced me to the original music, then suddenly this one comes out and has metal blaring too loudly throughout the duration. Why, Funimation, why?

Did Roshi seriously sleep through the whole thing, or was it all a dream of his...?

Made 4 Goats used to have a really funny synopsis of this movie too.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 am

A lot of unintentional funny moments for me in this one :lol: Slugg killing his own henchmen with beams to the chest. I thought this movie was overall but than it's predecessor, I thought Slugg was better villain than Tullece. Super Saiyan was random and served no purpose since it didn't get the job done in defeating Slugg and barely had any screen time. It was cool how Slugg was going to turn earth into a planet cruiser, how does that work?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 pm

This is definitely one of my least favorite movies. I still like it well enough that if I'm watching all the movies again, I watch it where it goes, but...ehh. It's fairly forgettable.

I do kind of appreciate it giving us an evil Namekian though, something we hadn't had, in a way. Back when we had Daimao and then regular Piccolo, we had no idea that they were Namekians. By the time we figured it out, we never again had an evil character from that race, so it was cool to have that. And then it all goes down the toilet by just copy-pasting Daimao's whole MO into the character. Bleh.

I do kinda like Medamatcha (can't remember his original name) though, the little freaky frog minion guy. With the mini clones. He was neat.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 am

There's really just nothing worth watching in this movie. It's a villain invented for no reason, with no other plot angle than "take over the planet".
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:54 pm

The movie is pretty bad and the dub makes the movie even worst. The plot is completely unoriginal and Lord Slug is just a lame villain. The False SSj form is pretty neat, but the form is hardly in the movie. This movie is one of my least favorite DBZ movies next to DBZ Movie 2 and DBZ Movie 11.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Only thing I liked was False SSJ and the henchemen fights, Goku vs Slug was meh for me, so was Slug overall. The music was alright I guess, I only remeber 2 pieces when I think of this movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmnhyApqxo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4lwqCGYW8c
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Having recently gotten the movie Dragon Box, I've been catching up on the movies that I hadn't seen before, which is to say, DB movie 1, and DBZ movies 4, 5, 7 and 9. When it comes to this one, I think I can summarize my opinion in one sentence:
Team Four-Star had the EASIEST JOB IN THE WORLD parodying this movie, because by god is it dumb. Like, I always thought the whole whistling-thing was a joke that they came up with, but that was actually in the movie? And it's actually instrumental to defeating the villain? That's only marginally less anti-climactic than Cloned-Brolli-Sludge-Monster being killed by water. And then there's just how blatantly it rips off the Piccolo-saga, coupled with several moments of rather derpy animation, (though the only specific moment I can think of at the moment is, at the start when Goku and Kuririn are trying to change the meteor's course, the shading on Goku's arm keeps inverting itself, aka the shadowed parts suddenly becoming bright for one frame while the bright parts suddenly become shadowed) this was on the whole not a very excellent movie at all.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 am

Vegard Aune wrote:I always thought the whole whistling-thing was a joke that they came up with, but that was actually in the movie? And it's actually instrumental to defeating the villain?
It's not them that came up with this, it was Toriyama.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.