Is it "Boo" or "Buu"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Is it "Boo" or "Buu"?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 pm

I've spelt it "Boo" for a long while now (because of the pun), but I've really been wondering which is correct.
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is it "Boo" or "Buu"?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Both are correct.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I could be wrong but I think "Buu" is more of a direct romanization, where as "Boo" is closer to the pun. But don't quote me on it.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Both are correct.
How is it in the original manga? How would it be translated?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Both are correct.
How is it in the original manga? How would it be translated?
Well, I found this on an old thread.
VegettoEX wrote:What do you mean by "in the Japanese translations"?

Steve Simmons uses "Boo" in the subtitles on FUNimation's DVDs. FUNimation uses "Buu" for their English dub. Viz uses "Boo" for their English translation of the manga. We use "Buu" on Kanzenshuu. Lots of Japanese merchandise and games have used "Boo".

It's up to you. The katakana reads as ブウ. A straight Hepburn system romanization would get you "bū". The name stems from Cinderella and the song/lyrics "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo". Do you want to spell the name exactly as it comes from the Disney song, or slightly differently but with the same pronunciation?

Our (well, my) logic is that since we adapt バビディ as "Babidi" (and not "Bobbidi"), I'll spell the name as "Buu" instead of "Boo".
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Well, it comes from 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' so I've always spelt it as 'Boo'. However, to romanise it, you often see it as 'Bū' which elongates the 'u' sound leading to the spelling 'Buu'. I'm not sure it really matters which one you use, honestly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Well, it comes from 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' so I've always spelt it as 'Boo'. However, to romanise it, you often see it as 'Bū' which elongates the 'u' sound leading to the spelling 'Buu'. I'm not sure it really matters which one you use, honestly.
I spell it "Boo" to keep with the pun too.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 pm

I have nothing to contribute to the thread because I don't know much about Japanese. I just wanted to say that I love being on a forum where people try to use or find the "most correct" names and spellings. Like how there was a big switch from "Super," "Chibi," "Kid," "Wrath," etc, to "Pure," "Evil," and "Pure Evil." Even the spelling of DragonBall ("Dragon Ball," "Dragonball") are checked. You guys are awesome. :wink:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I still use "Super Boo".
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I still use "Super Boo".
Me too.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:05 pm

I tend to flip-flop, depending on what version I'm talking about. If I'm talking to dub fans about the dub, I tend to use 'Buu'. But if I'm talking to sub fans about the original, or if I'm just talking in general here, I tend to use 'Boo'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm

I think "Buu" looks cooler than "Boo" so I usually use Buu. I also think Uub looks better than Oob so that is also why I go with Buu most times.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:I think "Buu" looks cooler than "Boo" so I usually use Buu. I also think Uub looks better than Oob so that is also why I go with Buu most times.
I have the same reasoning for me only flipped.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:I think "Buu" looks cooler than "Boo" so I usually use Buu. I also think Uub looks better than Oob so that is also why I go with Buu most times.
Pretty much the same here as well as what Gyt said, I try and keep my names consistent but I always end up picking and choosing.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I used to use "Boo" because I would blindly follow everything Steve Simmons did in the subtitles, but now that I've actually researched it myself, I use "Buu." I think I remember reading this in Herms' name pun guide, but I think the "Boo" in "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" spelled as "ブー," while the character's name is written as "ブウ." Since Toriyama apparently spells it differently from its source, I try to do the same thing by using "Buu" instead of "Boo." And the pun is still easy to get no matter which way you spell it.

Of course, I'm waiting on someone fluent in Japanese to tell me I'm completely mistaken, but there you go. ^_^;
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Both are correct. Use anyone you like. I go with Boo because I like Oob better than uub. Plus Boo looks more simple and fitting for Majin Boo.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Toriyama has tried to make his puns less direct before, and hide them to make them more subtle. So I go with Buu.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
I have the same reasoning for me only flipped.
This for me too.

Majin Boo sounds cooler to me. When I first heard Boo was changed to Buu I thought it was another FUNi trying to sound more 'cool' than the Japanese like with FrIeza...

But thanks for posting the history it's something I always wanted to know.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 pm

For me I use Boo, its easier for me to remember to write it as.
steam: broccoili

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 pm

It's all about how the words look, guys.

I go with "Boo" because the double o's look soft and mushy, like Boo himself (especially Fat Boo).

"Buu" is not without its charm, though. The double u's look like a demonic patch of inner-body fungi, which is eerily appropriate for the sci-fi section inside Boo's body (and that body's general Thing-esque alienness).

I always say Kid Boo or Chibi Boo.