The old art style is better than the new art style

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

The old art style is better than the new art style

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Am I the only one who think this? I mean I know at times the art looks a little weird at times due to different animation teams but overall I prefer the old school art. On a side note the movies(Not counting BoG)' art are the best(Movie 13 and Broly the second coming). But comparing the anime series art to BoG and Ultimate Tenkaichi Blast. The old school one looks better. It may be nostalgia but in most remakes I prefer the original animation than the new one.

DBZ > BoG and UBT
Dragonball > DBZ Sagas cut scenes
Hunter x Hunter > HxH 12011

That's just to name a few. I mean while I went to see BoG the art at times welt wrong. Some characters(SSJ3 Goku on King Kai Planet) you have a hard time seeing. Though that might be a background issues. The characters look weird IMO and the colors was just weird to look at. Ultimate Blast Tenkaichi art looked Dead and bland. DBZ saga new Dragonball animation looks badly animated.

This is just my opinion.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The old animation is better than the new animation

Post by DonZ » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:19 pm

I guess you mean the "art style" ? cuz the animation is much better and much smoother. but i agree with you, i feel like the old art do the facial expressions a lot better than the new one. mainly cuz it drawn by hands rather than computers.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 pm

DonZ wrote:I guess you mean the "art style" ? cuz the animation is much better and much smoother. but i agree with you, i feel like the old art do the facial expressions a lot better than the new one. mainly cuz it drawn by hands rather than computers.
That's what I meant :lol: .

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: The old art style is better than the new art style

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:27 pm

"The old art style is better than the new art style"

Agreed.

New art style makes the skin way too shiny also :x

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Marco Polo wrote:"The old art style is better than the new art style"
New art style makes the skin way too shiny also :x
Let's not forget how much less detail there is compared to the old style.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Super Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku, the Ultimate Blast cut scenes, and Episode of Bardock all had low-budget with few talented animators and few alloted drawings. Episode of Bardock only had Oonishi Ryou to do the climatic transformation and fight scene. His work was really good. The majority of the budget (as well as all of the talented animators) went to the opening for Ultimate Blast. Shida Naotoshi and Kurita Shin'ichi worked on it. Shida also worked on Super Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku--Hell, he was the only talented animator on the project--but his cuts of the final attacks had very few drawings and likely didn't have much time to work on them. Luckily it looks like Shida was able to go all out for Battle of Gods. Kei and Julian are the only ones to see it so far, so I have to wonder what they think.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I agree. Except for Triangle Crap. That guy totally ruined Goku's return (Future Trunks saga).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=892

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:08 pm

The grass is greener, I think. When Budokai 2/3 came out, everyone wished the series had looked like that. Same with Kai, everyone wanted the series to be done in this new high-quality style.

I like the look of it, except the shininess... but I think the issue is the animation itself. It's very rigid. The Simpsons now suffers from the same thing. They redid the intro sequence in their new computerized style, and there's a video showing a comparison of the two. In the original, it's all fluid--at one point, Marge turns her head, and her hair does this really fluid, Disney-esque sweeping motion as she does it. In the new one, she basically just rotates her head robotically. It's the same principle here. I haven't seen Battle of Gods yet, but when it comes to Episode of Bardock and the Ultimate Blast cutscenes, I see a lot of pretty, shiny, pristine visuals, however the animation is quite robotic and slightly jerky.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I would very much enjoy having the series in the new artstyle. The trick would to be not using CGI too much. We already saw in BOG that they pretty much made the whole city CGI during Goku's fight with Bills in the city and even used CGI for them as well in some areas. Id just hope that if we did get a new animation series, Toei wouldn't resort to using CGI for everything instead of hand drawn animation. The opening to UT was great, id say fluid from what I saw with the fights.

I dont really notice the stiffness of the B2-3 openings and enjoy those just as much.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:42 pm

I've never been a particularly big fan of the televison specials' animation. Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi and Maeda Minoru rely too much on creating detailed stills and not enough on creating exciting battle cuts. Maeda's final episode as animation supervisor--episode #164--especially suffered from this. While Cell and Trunks look gorgeous and would make for nice screen captures they do not move excitingly. Ohara Tai'ichirou's cuts--even as corrected by Uchiyama Masayuki--are a lot better. This is why Seigasha and even the older Last House episodes were always so much more exciting. Hisada Kazuya and Shimanuki Masahiro created awesome battle cuts. It's been a while since I've seen the first television special, but I quite clearly remember the action cuts in the Trunks special not having much punch to them. It's so weird how in-house Toei Animation episodes were less exciting than out-sourced episodes back then. Now Toei has many talented in-house animators and the occasional connection to an ace freelance animator. Shida Naotoshi (formerly of Last House), Tate Naoki (formerly of Seigasha), Oonishi Ryou, and Hayashi Yuki are just three of their truly talented animators.
Thanos wrote:I like the look of it, except the shininess... but I think the issue is the animation itself. It's very rigid. The Simpsons now suffers from the same thing. They redid the intro sequence in their new computerized style, and there's a video showing a comparison of the two. In the original, it's all fluid--at one point, Marge turns her head, and her hair does this really fluid, Disney-esque sweeping motion as she does it. In the new one, she basically just rotates her head robotically. It's the same principle here. I haven't seen Battle of Gods yet, but when it comes to Episode of Bardock and the Ultimate Blast cutscenes, I see a lot of pretty, shiny, pristine visuals, however the animation is quite robotic and slightly jerky.
A lot of this has to do with using few talented animators and few drawings (both key and in-between) allowed. You can blame Toei for spreading their forces too thin...not to mention not out-sourcing to good sub-contracting studios anymore.
Tenken wrote:I agree. Except for Triangle Crap. That guy totally ruined Goku's return (Future Trunks saga).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=892
Studio Live animated Dragon Ball Z episode #121. Ebisawa Yukio was animation supervisor (the person in charge of correcting key animation drawings), but also the first credited key animator. This mean Ebisawa provided the key drawings for the highest number of cuts. Ebisawa Yukio was not particularly talented as an animator, but he got the job done for mostly plot-based episodes. Handa Tomoya and Kan'no Toshiyuki were the only other key animators for episode #121. It should be noted that because of Kan'no's ability to stay on model he would soon take over the lion's share of cuts and eventually act as animation supervisor for Studio Live's four episodes for Dragon Ball GT. In fact, Kan'no was so talented his cuts were not even corrected by Ebisawa as Dragon Ball Z progressed.
She/Her
bisexual milf

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 pm

I always figured it was because old animation was all hand drawn and the kind they use today is mass produced easily cut and pasted CG.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 pm

I like shiny on skin-- if done right. And so far they didn't. Look at DBGT. The animation didn't suffer from anything and just has much details as DBZ had, but with much higher animation quality. Toei was able to use everything to make the animation look great in GT. DBZ did have shiny animation occasionally, but that was it. They didn't take opportunity to maximize the animation's potential until they got to GT. Obviously the result was better than expected. Eventually they lost the touch on animation, which is sad.

Let's compare between the animation of GT and the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
The latter's color palette was poorly used. The colors are bland. But then again the animation was low-budget, so it's to be expected. As for Battle of Gods, judging by the looks of its animation, I'd say GT is still better. Heck, even Path to Power is better than GT.

The problem with Toei is that they did not utilize the computer properly to make the animation look good. The potential is there, but they did not take the opportunity to maximize it.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

The best art style was around the two Piccolo arcs and the Saiyan arc. I prefer cell animation to computer animation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm

ABED wrote:The best art style was around the two Piccolo arcs and the Saiyan arc. I prefer cell animation to computer animation.
OMFG YES! Just fucking yes! Those art styles were extremely great. Though I did like the Vegeta vs Rikum art style. To me Cell Arc had one of the worst in the old art style.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't like the grotesque musculature that were prevalent in the Cell arc, but at least the manga is way better than the anime in terms of consistency.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Wow! I never realized how much different the old art is compared to the new art! I definitely like the old art better.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I would not say Dragon Ball GT was drastically better than Dragon Ball Z in terms of animation. Studio Live episodes did improve thanks to Kan'no Toshiyuki acting as animation supervisor or Ebisawa Yukio also no longer proving key animation, but over all the characters merely made for better screen captures. The quality of the movements did not drastically improve. I would also venture that Seigasha began taking a step back in quality. Near the end of Dragon Ball Z Hisada Kazuya's key animation began to lose it's snap, he was obviously beginning to suffer from burn-out. This continued pretty harshly to the point that by the time Seigasha did One Piece episode #1 Hisada and Shimanuki Masahiro were no longer producing their best work. Tate Naoki--as evidenced by his work on the 2008 JSAT special--is the only animator from Seigasha to not only maintain quality, but drastically improve as an animator.
mAcChaos wrote:I always figured it was because old animation was all hand drawn and the kind they use today is mass produced easily cut and pasted CG.
You have figured incorrectly. Animation in Japan is still drawn by hand. Key animation drawings and in-between animation draws are all still done by hand. This is how in-between animators get promoted to key animation, after all. The hand-drawn sheets are then scanned and the finishing touches done on computers. Only animators like Yamashita Shingo, BahiJD (an Austrian who tele-commutes), Ryou-chimo, and Oda Gosei use digital programs like flash to animate.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 pm

I now prefer the old style. It showed more emotion from facial expressions and it wasn't so shiny. I also think the details on the bodies are done better in the old style while they look like plastic in the new style.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:19 pm

More time and effort seems to have gone into the old style.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 pm

You're confusing 'style' with "cuts from bad animators." It doesn't matter what character model is used the quality of the drawing is going to be based on the talent of the animator and the degree of severity beckoned by the storyboard and director.
She/Her
bisexual milf