Support New Series If GT Was Non-Canon ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Support New Series If GT Was Non-Canon ?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:40 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:No, he just doesn't like the fact that Goku and Vegeta can blow up a star and cause a supernova.
He doesn't like the Majin race creation either, because it was only done to make the race playable.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote:Seeing fans say DBGT is non-canon because Akira Toriyama didn't make it, makes me wonder would you support a new sequel with Toriyama on board ? Or do you feel DBGT is a good enough sequel ?
I honestly think it's too late for any more true canon Dragon Ball to exist. Toriyama is long and done with this series, and anything else, even from him, ( "Slim", SsjG Goku, for example... :eh: ) will just be a failure compared to the original work.

Of course I would support it, and would be totally stoked for it's existence, but I would go into it knowing that nothing like the former could ever be reproduced.
hleV wrote:DBO gave as a good enough glimpse (which likely came from Toriyama) to what happened after the series, and as I'm pretty fine with it, I don't need another series which would contradict the shit out of DBO and most likely the original series itself.
Great point and very true.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:27 am

i'd like a new series evry 2 years with a diffrent writer to see what they can come up with
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 am

I don't care either way. Whether Toriyama does it, Toei or even someone new. Who cares whether it's canon or not as long as it's enjoyable. Dragonball has already reached it's peak eitherway as well.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:13 am

PrinceVegetto wrote:Seeing fans say DBGT is non-canon because Akira Toriyama didn't make it, makes me wonder would you support a new sequel with Toriyama on board ? Or do you feel DBGT is a good enough sequel ?
Well, some fans consider it non canon, some fans considered it canon, and some fans doesn't care and rather enjoy the series in the fullest. For me, Dragon Ball GT was a good enough sequel, sure it wouldn't hurt to fix up the execution, but regardless, it's good enough. And considering that the whole canon argument is pointless anyways (Toriyama stated he considers GT as a Side-story, although someone mention that he considers it as an alternate story or something, I would like to see some source on that), I don't mind another series, regardless of who made it. I'm not in the crowd of thinking "This person has to do this, and that person has to do that", as long they make it enjoyable, it's okay in my book.

To be frank, I would much prefer a series based around Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr, but have a different sense of direction of the usual "main heroes does all the work, and the rest are useless". Kind of following the path Hero's Legacy took, it could bring some life meaning, sense of adventures and real danger when doing certain things. And perhaps, introduce the idea of human villains, rather than cyborgs, or super powered aliens, a throwback to the original Dragon Ball feeling. However, they wanted to get rid of the super-powered heroes, and considered them a threat, because they're the reason why Earth always in danger of being destroyed and lives were taken because of their ancestors, or something like that.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 am

I think it's too late for a sequel to GT. They were doing to do a sequel based around Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., they would have done it 15 years ago. GT didn't do all that great both critically and financially, so making a sequel would be a total waste of time and money. I think we do get another series, it will likely be a totally new show with new characters and will have past characters like Goku being supporting characters.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 am

I don't really care if Toriyama is involved or not, but it's telling that, when he is not, Toei is almost incapable of creating something noteworthy. I would support a new series regardless.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Depends if the series is good. It would be awesome if I was in charge of it. I really think my idea of a continuation to the manga is great enough
The world's greatest.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't see how some of you can even begin to think of any new Dragon Ball material that would go beyond the Boo arc or the final manga chapter being that you think the Z fighters hit their absolute "peak' during the battle with the Bubble Gum Beast. Seeing Gogeta/Vegetto return would be cool the first time but what about after that? According to some of you Gohan can't get any stronger, Goku nor Vegeta could ever hope to surpass him and of course Gotenks isn't as strong as Gohan.

The only Z fighters who could hope to surpass Gohan would be Goten and Trunks but only if they trained even half as hard as their fathers. If the brats (or teenagers when ever the new story takes place) even get half as strong as Ultimate Gohan separately then when they fuse they'd absolutely dwarf him, thus becoming a challenge for the new foe.

But all that would most likely require for Goku and Vegeta to be written out of the story.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Not really sure how it would go, hopefully following -part- of the DBO storyline, but didn't the new movie state that there are like 12 dimensions? GT could just be one of those 12.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm

I would if it were good. It'd be the same if Toriyama were not involved. But, really, I don't want another DB series.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

I rather enjoyed GT as a STORY, just seems like they wrapped it up so quickly and the horendous animation days outweighed the good ones.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:49 am

Much as I'm not a fan of GT for a simple "somehow didn't feel right" reason, I think they shouldn't extend the timeline too far, the "ten years later" epilogue really feels like the maximum limit to end the story to me.

So I'm all for filling the gaps if it's about creating new stories, like the seven years between Cell and Boo or the ten years between Boo and the epilogue.
Of course, I'd like Toriyama's involvement because what as shown by Battle of Gods, he still has the magic of creating stories and designs that just feel like the right continuation. It's not surprising, his instinct has always told him what he wanted to convey and that's where all those great elements come from, the man knows what's right for his own creation, what conveys the right message that is in line with his ideas and what would convey an impression that doesn't belong to his vision of the universe.

But even if it was without him, as long as it somehow feels right and like a coherent continuation, I would be cool with it.

Battle of Gods shows that there's still potential for creative new forms, new ideas and new villains that are so great that you would have never imagined them.

I mean that Super Saiyan God just goes the opposite way than anyone imagined by actually making the core character recognizable-yet-enhanced, it just takes the opposite of everyone's original expectations and ends up being the most breathtaking and stylish form to date. Only Toriyama could nail it that way.

And Birus is just awesome, we were about to have another villain that's just serious and bad, bad, bad... and instead we got one of the most charismatic "villains" ever absolutely worthy of joining Freezer, Cell and Boo on the rank of "main villains of the franchise" and who could have interesting developments in future media.

And finally, we got something where the characters are put back to their places: unlike what Toei has always tried to convey, Goku's not the ultimate hero, he's just a normal hero who won't always be able to save the day and still has to get better. Only Toriyama is not afraid to put his characters back off from their pedestal and show them they're not THAT great after all, even when they have a super-joker card up their sleeves.

But the crew (at least the scriptwriter I think) has said that he has taken good note as to how to handle Dragon Ball properly and avoid ideas that are definately not in line with what Dragon Ball is supposed to be according to the creator.
There is hope that even without Toriyama's involvement, the right staff could now have a better view of what Dragon Ball is meant to be: something more complex than just "in a serious and dark event: on one side, the super-invincible heroes that will always win with new I-don't-even-recognize-them-anymore transformations, and on the other side the super villain who is really, really evil and super-powerful but who will be defeated by Goku's new super-move in the end".

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think it's too late for a sequel to GT. They were doing to do a sequel based around Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., they would have done it 15 years ago. GT didn't do all that great both critically and financially, so making a sequel would be a total waste of time and money. I think we do get another series, it will likely be a totally new show with new characters and will have past characters like Goku being supporting characters.
It's been years since GT ended. Things have changed, and the sequel doesn't have to be like GT at all
The world's greatest.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I won't mind seeing a series with new characters. I like to see something new and fresh as long if it's good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I won't mind seeing a series with new characters. I like to see something new and fresh as long if it's good.
Honestly think we should had gotten a DBO Prequel instead of BoG. Have it set before the events of DBO. Like with Miira and Towa. Then introduce all of the main characters. But first in the beginning right before the opening. Have Goku and Vegeta final battle.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm

I see no problem making a story after the events of GT. Considering that Goku's gone forever, they can make a story revolving these characters. Perhaps, as stated before, an Goku and Vegeta Jr story. I think they can squeeze bits of DBO in there, considering it's around an 100 time gap since GT ended. :wink:
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php