Changes you'd have preferred

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Changes you'd have preferred

Post by Dayspring » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:17 pm

Somethings I would liked to see done differently, or extra, was more Oozaru appearances. King Vegeta was killed far too easily, the details of his death not even shown in the manga. I would have preferred it if King Vegeta was shown in a flashback fighting Freeza when Zarbon told Vegeta that Freeza could transform. I would have liked to see a bloodied and battered Oozaru King Vegeta holding his own against Freeza. Annoyed at how long it was taking to kill King Vegeta, we could have been shown a panel of Freeza's shadow begin to transform in front of a shocked King, Dodoria and Zarbon, and then King Vegeta being obliterated by a ki blast.

I also would have liked to have seen Golden Oozaru in the Buu saga, specifically when Vegeta needed to stall for time. Since he didn't have SSJ3, and arguably SSJ2, at his disposle, it would have made an unique alternative to Goku's SSJ3, brought back the earlier emphasis that Oozaru is so damned important and powerful, and would have been easy for Vegeta to attain and control since he can create artificial moons, go SSJ with ease, and can control his Oozaru state. Instead of getting his ass kicked, he could have the upper hand against Buu until his tail would get cut off. Sure he didn't have his tail, but he SHOULD have since Baba gave him back his tail.
EDIT: Baba gave him back his body, I mean, which would naturally have included his tail. For some reason it didn't.

So that's all I can currently think of. What changes would you have liked to have seen?
Last edited by Dayspring on Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:30 pm

The ending, for one. Freeza story arc ending, FTW. 8)

Of course, I would've liked some more uses for Son Gohan. He went from this wimpy little kid with tons of potential, to this determined little warrior, to this kickass strongest-in-the-universe badass, to this highschool nerd. I mean, c'mon.

I woulda also preferred an ending with Goku in his base form rather than Super Saiyan. I dunno, I'm a sucker for having things consistent, and since the Super Saiyan thing wasn't necessarily a major thing for the whole series (thought it was for a huge chunk), him being normal would've been cool.

And finally, of course more humor. It was cool seeing the series "mature" to some extent during the Cell story arc, yet I still missed the comical atmosphere of early Dragon Ball. The Buu saga managed to recapture some of that whimsical whackiness, but still...

Oh yeah, and the dragon balls had also been such a central part to the series in the beginning, but towards the end it had lost its importance, being only used to help in the fighting, unlike before where the fighting was done for the dragon balls. Entire sagas were devoted to the search for the spheres, but by the time the Saiyan story arc came, and definately by the end of the Freeza saga, the search for the balls became this sort of side-story that only took about one or two panels.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:30 pm

I would have loved to have seen Uub do more in GT, along with Gotenks making a GT apperance. I also think the human characters shouldn't have been thrown to the curb, I think they should have continued to become stronger as well, maybe a Super Human stage or something. I would've liked to see Piccolo fuse with Daimao like he does in Bukuu Togeki.

:wink: I like your guys's ideas as well!
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:21 pm

I agree, Majuub was so cool...for the three seconds he was on screen. Adult Gotenks would've been cool as well. We could have had the two fight side by side.

Other than that, the whole thing is pretty much perfect...I wouldn't change a thing.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:02 am

Either end at the Frieza or Cell saga. That or have the Budokai, without Kaioshin and co. (ie. no Buu saga) and get to the last match which is between Goku and Gohan. THey talk for a bit and the match starts. We don't see how it ends but for the anime, I think it would be ok with that ending and the narrator saying something.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:00 am

Since you guys are including GT, I would have prefered it if the Grand Tour saga intentionally had Pan and Uub (rather than he being absent and she only sneeking aboard), as part of their training, and have Pan go SSJ against the Mega Canon Sigma bot instead of having crying be the unknown element strong enough to take it out.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:48 pm

Dayspring wrote:Since you guys are including GT, I would have prefered it if the Grand Tour saga intentionally had Pan and Uub (rather than he being absent and she only sneeking aboard), as part of their training, and have Pan go SSJ against the Mega Canon Sigma bot instead of having crying be the unknown element strong enough to take it out.
I havn't seen much of GT, did "crying" really defeat something? Lame.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:35 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Since you guys are including GT, I would have prefered it if the Grand Tour saga intentionally had Pan and Uub (rather than he being absent and she only sneeking aboard), as part of their training, and have Pan go SSJ against the Mega Canon Sigma bot instead of having crying be the unknown element strong enough to take it out.
Crying caused Pan to have an insane power increase, so of how rage affects most Saiyans. I would have prefered it if it was enough to make her transform into SSJ instead of just dump a blast of ki.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Dayspring wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
Crying caused Pan to have an insane power increase, so of how rage affects most Saiyans. I would have prefered it if it was enough to make her transform into SSJ instead of just dump a blast of ki.
Oh, well SSj would've been better than just a power burst. I thought you ment the enemy was defeated by the crying, like Lord Slug was defeated by Gohan's whistle. That was lame.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Lord Slug was defeated by Gohan's whistle. That was lame.
Agreed. I think GT should've had more sagas and at least a few movies. Uub, Pan, Goku, Goten, and Trunks: that's an awesome Grand Tour team right there! Also, Piccolo should've been in way more episodes than two. I would've liked to have seen Bebi Vegeta go SSJ4 against SSJ4 Goku! That would be awesome! I'd also have Goten and Trunks at least reach SSJ2, Pan SSJ and maybe SSJ2, and Vegeta go SSJ3. The Tenkaichi Budokai could've been way better, I'd of had it last a whole saga until Super 17, which would've also been longer.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:58 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
Lord Slug was defeated by Gohan's whistle. That was lame.
Agreed. I think GT should've had more sagas and at least a few movies. Uub, Pan, Goku, Goten, and Trunks: that's an awesome Grand Tour team right there! Also, Piccolo should've been in way more episodes than two. I would've liked to have seen Bebi Vegeta go SSJ4 against SSJ4 Goku! That would be awesome! I'd also have Goten and Trunks at least reach SSJ2, Pan SSJ and maybe SSJ2, and Vegeta go SSJ3. The Tenkaichi Budokai could've been way better, I'd of had it last a whole saga until Super 17, which would've also been longer.
SSJ stages have been done to death. I personally only wanted to see Pan go SSJ, since we don't know if she can, and Vegeta reach SSJ3 to catch up to Goku. Since Goku's weaker (being a kid and all), SSJ4 Vegeta was too much since he should therefore have become stronger than Goku. SSJ4 Vegeta also killed the possibility that SSJ4 Goku was really Goku being the legendary super Saiyan.

I agree about the budoukai, though. Budoukai's are a DB staple.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:46 pm

Personally, if we're talking about the core Dragonball manga story, I think nothing should be changed about it. At all. The unnecessary filler, however, means nothing to me.

Frankly, I just ignore GT. No offense to GT fans, but there's so much already wrong with it that adding more crap would just be unthinkable.

No, wait, I would change one thing about GT. During the final scene, in which Dan Dan is playing, right when it's near the end, I would like it if a distant, unseen sniper put a shot straight through GT Goku's temple. Nothing too gross, just a PG-13 death sequence with a crowd starting to gather in the aftermath. Just to send him back to where he came from.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:06 pm

oponok wrote:Personally, if we're talking about the core Dragonball manga story, I think nothing should be changed about it. At all. The unnecessary filler, however, means nothing to me.

Frankly, I just ignore GT. No offense to GT fans, but there's so much already wrong with it that adding more crap would just be unthinkable.

No, wait, I would change one thing about GT. During the final scene, in which Dan Dan is playing, right when it's near the end, I would like it if a distant, unseen sniper put a shot straight through GT Goku's temple. Nothing too gross, just a PG-13 death sequence with a crowd starting to gather in the aftermath. Just to send him back to where he came from.
If GT bothered you to the extent that you wrote such a pathetic post, why not do as the thread asked and explain what you would change about it? :roll:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:33 pm

GT had some decent ideas. Sadly most of them had been used already and all of them were executed poorly. More original ideas and better execution (and less plotholes) are all I can say about improving GT.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:22 pm

I'd end the series with Freeza, most likely.

But, If I couldn't, then I'd rewrite the Android Saga like...

Vegeta becomes a Super Saiyan, but nobody else besides Goku and Vegeta does.

Trunks doesn't kill Freeza, Goku does.

Piccolo is almost even with the two Super Saiyans after he becomes a Super Namek.

SSJ Goku vs 16, SNJ Piccolo vs 17, SSJ Vegeta vs 18.

And then, the final fight of the series would be SSJ Goku vs SSJ Vegeta. And maybe some narrator lines about how their bloodrage rivalry has turned to a friendly, if intense, competition, and how the competition between Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo will keep the warriors primed for any future threats to the Earth.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:23 pm

I find that some great what-if stories that may have changed the show for the better can be found in Budokai 3. Some new cool things such as Vegeta defeating Frieza instead of Goku and then battling Goku on Namek, a pretty cool idea on making Broly fit in the story for the DUs if Kid Goku's and Future Trunks' DUs were completed, Goku reaching SSJ4 and battling with Omega Shenron without having to usher into the GT series, and maybe my favorite of all; having SSJ4 Vegeta fighting SSJ4 Goku in a last battle between two friends. Just some cool aspects, I wonder how the actual series would have been with changes such as these.
14 years later

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 am

Hm..

Better, more consistent animation all around. I'd also can most of GT, including some of the character designs (namely Vejita).

Trying to make things less Goku/Saiyajin-centric, with the other characters having some impact in fights. GT being the worst offender, with no Gotenks or others doing anything of real worth.

Less bad filler, of course. Bulma on Namek? Fake Nameks? Kaio recaps of the SSJ Goku vs. Freeza battle every episode? Goku going 'Super Kaioken'? Gone, gone, gone.

I'm easy to please. Better pacing combined with the above efforts would make DB/Z/GT a world better, IMHO. I wouldn't change anything major plotwise up until towards the end of Z, where I felt GT had a better ending. Ah well, I enjoy what we got regardless.

-Corey

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:05 am

If you know what I'm all about, you can stop reading right about now.

I would have it so Toei didn't get contracted to adapt the Manga until Toriyama-Sama was somewhere near Volume 30, so that they would have not felt the need to add so much crap in between canon segments and maybe they would have held themselves to a higher, more realistic animation standard.

One major case being the SS Aura's...geh. The Anime doesn't even come close at all.

That and...have Toei be a tad bit more..careful about when and who and under what circumstances it was dubbed.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:38 pm

Dayspring wrote:If GT bothered you to the extent that you wrote such a pathetic post, why not do as the thread asked and explain what you would change about it?
I was (more or less) presenting a counter argument by stating that it shouldn't be changed at all, if we're talking about any change aside from having GT not exist (which is my preference). Dragonball was Akira Toriyama's story, and my ideas for it, Toei's original stories (GT, the movies, etc), as well as anyone else's just won't do it justice, in my opinion. I loved the DBZ finale. It just seemed entirely appropriate, since Toriyama was more about comedy than melodrama (thank god), and so it confuddles me as to why everyone dislikes or loathes it. Dragonball GT spoils that ending, goes on to get nothing right from the start, and forces a schmaltzy ending down our throats, as though the last 64 episodes were actually worth bothering with.

If the anime simply showed what was in the manga, that would be a better Dragonball. More consistent animation would be nice.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:46 pm

Now couldn't you have just said that to start with instead of that previous nonsense about shooting Goku in the head? :roll:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."