Vegeta in the Kanzenban ending

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Vegeta in the Kanzenban ending

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 am

In the new ending, Vegeta says something along the lines of "Hmph. I'll definitely beat you one day, Kakarot".

What do you think of this, does it regress his #1 speech in the Kid Buu speech? Or do you just view this as Vegeta always being Goku's rival, even if he admitted he was inferior?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: Vegeta in the Kanzenben ending

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 am

I don't like it. He was meant to be over this by that point.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:57 am

I like it. Vegeta admitted that Goku is better than him, but that doesn't mean that he needs to abandon his rivalry. He's no longer in denial about Goku's superiority, which means that instead of trying to prove he's better, he now works hard so that he actually does become better. His respect for Goku only makes him want to beat him even more.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:02 am

Well if we take BOG into account, Vegeta is definitely getting there. He surpassed SSJ3 Goku for a moment so if he keeps it up they will eventually be equals.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:04 am

Vegeta admitting Goku is #1 doesn't mean he's not his rival anymore.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:54 am

Saiga wrote:I like it. Vegeta admitted that Goku is better than him, but that doesn't mean that he needs to abandon his rivalry. He's no longer in denial about Goku's superiority, which means that instead of trying to prove he's better, he now works hard so that he actually does become better. His respect for Goku only makes him want to beat him even more.
Exactly what I would say.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 am

Are we just assuming that wanting to surpass someone in something means they hate them? I'm pretty sure Vegeta got over his hatred for Goku after the Boo arc. Through the whole series Goku is trying to surpass anyone he see's as stronger than him, it doesn't mean he hates everyone

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 am

Saiga wrote:I like it. Vegeta admitted that Goku is better than him, but that doesn't mean that he needs to abandon his rivalry. He's no longer in denial about Goku's superiority, which means that instead of trying to prove he's better, he now works hard so that he actually does become better. His respect for Goku only makes him want to beat him even more.
Couldn't say it better myself. :clap: :)

hleV
Banned

Re: Vegeta in the Kanzenban ending

Post by hleV » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 am

I love the ending.

By the way, what Vegeta actually says is:
Vegeta: “I’ll definitely win soon. You’ll see, Kakarot… ”

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am

I agree 100%. The way I've always looked at it is that Vegeta's mind shifts from wanting to surpass Goku in a very negative way, into a much more positive way. Whereas before he couldn't live with himself if he didn't surpass him, because he just could not respect Goku - now he can see that Goku really is an unstoppable force that he may never actually catch up to. But that sure doesn't mean he's not gonna try; he just isn't going to scream and rant if he doesn't anymore.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:35 am

I don't like it at all. Vegeta was supposed to be done with trying to beat Goku. That's what his "Number 1" speech was all about.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I know this might not be canonical to some people, but their rivalry seemed still present in the JSAT special. Of course, this happens before the end of Z, but after Vegeta admits Goku is number one. The fact that they went Super Saiyan over some food should be enough to think that while Vegeta knows Goku is better than him, he's still Vegeta and he's still gonna use that Saiyan Pride (just look at how they fight over who fights the aliens).
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:15 pm

If you read the first three chapters of DB (where Kinto'un is introduced) and then the old ending, the story seems to have come full circle and all.

If you read the first three chapters and then the Kanzenban ending, you're wondering WTF is this angry guy who's getting the privilege to speak the final words of the series.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:23 pm

It's a great final panel. The N°1 speech was Vegeta finally understanding what Goku has always been all about and what made him the N°1 Saiyan.
As soon as he has understood that, he is on the right track to possibly become one day Goku's equal, and it is shown in Battle of Gods that the evolution of his personnality can even briefly allow him to surpass Goku.

The speech was in no way about giving up against Goku and letting him be N°1, it was about realizing why Goku was always the true N°1 so far and why Vegeta was not on the right track in comparison.

But Son Goku and Vegeta are the two last pure-blooded Saiyans, you can't expect them to ever stop their rivalry because that's part of who they are and that's the core of their relationship. It will always be one of the most important things in life for them, and possibly one of their reasons to live.
Someday, when they feel their time is up, they might even choose to die in an ultimate battle against each other and pass away with a true "Saiyan" death and a smile on their faces, knowing that they'll keep it on forever in the afterlife (if Vegeta is also allowed to have his body, but I'm sure otherwise, Goku would ask them to do it).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Someday, when they feel their time is up, they might even choose to die in an ultimate battle against each other and pass away with a true "Saiyan" death and a smile on their faces, knowing that they'll keep it on forever in the afterlife (if Vegeta is also allowed to have his body, but I'm sure otherwise, Goku would ask them to do it).
Have you read Dragon Ball Online's timeline (it tells us what happened between the events of the manga & DBO, and it feels like it's written by Toriyama)? Because this is exactly what happens!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:Someday, when they feel their time is up, they might even choose to die in an ultimate battle against each other and pass away with a true "Saiyan" death and a smile on their faces, knowing that they'll keep it on forever in the afterlife (if Vegeta is also allowed to have his body, but I'm sure otherwise, Goku would ask them to do it).
Have you read Dragon Ball Online's timeline (it tells us what happened between the events of the manga & DBO, and it feels like it's written by Toriyama)? Because this is exactly what happens!
I haven't seen it, but I'm not gonna lie, I knew about it through other discussions on this forum. :P

But I never truly think about whether it's canon or not despite the fact that it's been made by Toriyama, so that's why I wrote "they might" do that: everyone is free to consider this Dragon Ball Online timeline's ending as canon or not.
I just leave it undecided as far as I'm concerned, there's "canon to me", "non-canon to me" and "???", and Dragon Ball Online's timeline falls in that "???" category. :P

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Marco Polo wrote:If you read the first three chapters of DB (where Kinto'un is introduced) and then the old ending, the story seems to have come full circle and all.

If you read the first three chapters and then the Kanzenban ending, you're wondering WTF is this angry guy who's getting the privilege to speak the final words of the series.
Yeah, WTF is the second-most popular character in the series who was originally supposed to die?

I say the ending is fine. Vegeta was never going to just give up trying to surpass Goku. The basic idea is that by the end, he's got noteworthy reasons for it beyond showing off his supposed superiority. His expression may not make it obvious, but he's much less of a jackass in the final chapter.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:01 pm

I like it. Vegeta admitted he was number 1, sure, but that doesn't mean he's gonna stop trying to get stronger than Kakarot. He's merely not obsessed and understands why he's been his inferior this whole time.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm

I like both endings. THe original one has that it's over feel(Kinto'un). Vegeta ending was good to. Just because Goku is number doesn't mean Vegeta can't be his rival.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:41 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I like both endings. THe original one has that it's over feel(Kinto'un).
The original doesn't have Kinto'un.