Should Boo arc be a separate anime series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Should Boo arc be a separate anime series?

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 pm

It would make a lot of sense.

The time gap between the Cell Saga and Buu Saga is longer than the time gap between the end of DBZ and the beginning of DBGT.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Had Toriyama planned to continue Dragon Ball beyond Boo arc, I wonder if Toei would separate it... :think:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:00 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Had Toriyama planned to continue Dragon Ball beyond Boo arc, I wonder if Toei would separate it... :think:
It's hard to call really. I honestly expected them to split up One Piece once it got to it's first big timeskip, and call the new stuff 'One Piece: New World' or something, but they didn't.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I honestly expected them to split up One Piece once it got to it's first big timeskip, and call the new stuff 'One Piece: New World' or something, but they didn't.
Same here. I find it really weird that they didn't split up One Piece... Perhaps the New World part of the story will be shorter than the first part?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I dunno, I want to say that split is when we started getting word from Oda that the story was 'about halfway through', so...*shrugs* Maybe 'splitting the series apart' is something they don't really see as being profitable anymore, for some reason or another?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Maybe they didn't want to change the title because the title One Piece was already the big hit in Japan, like they are now using Dragon Ball Z for the DB franchise.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm

This is an interesting topic because, at the time, fans of the series actually DID think of it as a new series.

IIRC based on news group postings, the Boo arc was advertised heavily before airing. And actually, on those news groups, there was a period of time from Great Saiyaman onward where it was referred to as the "New Dragon Ball Z".. Sure, a fan term, but it seemed to stick for a while.

You can go back to those posts in 93 and 94 and see for yourself. It was definitely a period of transition. All of the musical cues were new, the artwork looked different and sharper, the tone changed. It was certainly a revamp and even though it was only one arc it did span for almost 100 episodes.

I would say it was a much-needed shot in the arm at the time. If we were to compare ratings, which I don't have, I would be curious to see what it looked like between cell games and then Great Saiyaman onward. I do remember hearing at one point that the highest ratings of all time came from Great Saiyaman. If I were to guess, I would say that had less to do with the content of the episodes, and moreso with the advertising and revamping of this "new Dragon Ball Z"

Well done!

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:This is an interesting topic because, at the time, fans of the series actually DID think of it as a new series.

IIRC based on news group postings, the Boo arc was advertised heavily before airing. And actually, on those news groups, there was a period of time from Great Saiyaman onward where it was referred to as the "New Dragon Ball Z".. Sure, a fan term, but it seemed to stick for a while.

You can go back to those posts in 93 and 94 and see for yourself. It was definitely a period of transition. All of the musical cues were new, the artwork looked different and sharper, the tone changed. It was certainly a revamp and even though it was only one arc it did span for almost 100 episodes.

I would say it was a much-needed shot in the arm at the time. If we were to compare ratings, which I don't have, I would be curious to see what it looked like between cell games and then Great Saiyaman onward. I do remember hearing at one point that the highest ratings of all time came from Great Saiyaman. If I were to guess, I would say that had less to do with the content of the episodes, and moreso with the advertising and revamping of this "new Dragon Ball Z"

Well done!
i was trying to find some ratings but I couldn't get any exact figures unfortunately but from what I read it seems the ratings did spike towards the last two series'.. GT suffered considerable compared to the good run DB and DBZ enjoyed..
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!