Where did "San" Goku come from?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Where did "San" Goku come from?

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:50 pm

I see it a lot with Spanish dubs of Dragonball, Z, and DBGT. Was that a translation of Son or was it a Fan name that got popular?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Where did "San" Goku come from?

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 pm

I know in French he was originally called "Sangoku", for some reason.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Herms wrote:I know in French he was originally called "Sangoku", for some reason.
That's odd. I usually see the term "San Goku" for the Spanish dubs

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I understand AB Groupe owns the rights to DragonBall in much of Europe and, as they started with the French version, many other European dubs borrowed terms/names from it.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:58 am

Herms wrote:I know in French he was originally called "Sangoku", for some reason.
I remember when I was in school and I asked my Polish friend if Dragon Ball Z ever aired in Poland and he said "Oh yeah, the main character's called 'Sangok' right?"

I don't know if he's called Sangok in Poland, maybe he was just remembering wrong?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:57 am

Man, the French are weird with their Dragon Ball. :? And that's their least-weird name change!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
Man, the French are weird with their Dragon Ball. :? And that's their least-weird name change!
This change is also passed along to the Dutch translated versions of the Glenat released manga. The Dutch Kanzenban has it as the correct Son Goku, even with a little explanation how it's from Saiyuki originally, so I'm willing to bet the French Kanzenban has it as Son Goku as well.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 am

Yep that comes from the French version.
I think we corrected it in the Portuguese version, at least during Z. During the first series some characters (those dubbed by António Semedo at least) refer to him as "Songonku", other times Songóku. But during Z they all started pronouncing it right.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:25 am

It comes from the old French dub which modified lots of names and those were carried over to other countries.

Note that those mistakes don't exist anymore in France since both the manga (through the Tankobon and Kanzenban releases) and the anime (through Kai) have been retranslated as faithful translations.

So France now has a great translation for both the manga and the anime with correct names.
However, video games are late on this one and will still use "Sangoku" in their French text for some reason, ever since the first Tenkaichi Budokai up until Ultimate Tenkaichi...
worldmonsters wrote: The Dutch Kanzenban has it as the correct Son Goku, even with a little explanation how it's from Saiyuki originally, so I'm willing to bet the French Kanzenban has it as Son Goku as well.
Yep, the Dutch Kanzenban is based on the French one (same publisher, so it's not surprising). So we have what you have and you have what we have when it comes to translation and translation notes.
The Tori-bot wrote: Man, the French are weird with their Dragon Ball. :? And that's their least-weird name change!
The French used to be weird with their translation. Used to be. :wink:
Those old twisted translations were a good thing in the end since it pushed them to be all the more careful and faithful when retranslating both the anime and the manga.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

The Time Traveller wrote:I remember when I was in school and I asked my Polish friend if Dragon Ball Z ever aired in Poland and he said "Oh yeah, the main character's called 'Sangok' right?"

I don't know if he's called Sangok in Poland, maybe he was just remembering wrong?
Actually, it was "Songo" (pronounced as the original "Son Gokū", but without "kū"). "Kakarotto" was translated as "Pajac" which means "Clown" :lol: This thing that aired on TV does not exist for the most of the fans. But that is even better - nothing comes even close to the original performances of the legendary Japanese seiyū. The only thing I need are good subtitles.

The manga was released in the same period, so we knew how everything was originally named (it was very well translated).

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I see it a lot with Spanish dubs of Dragonball, Z, and DBGT. Was that a translation of Son or was it a Fan name that got popular?
?
In Spain Goku has never been called San Goku...
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Raykugen wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I see it a lot with Spanish dubs of Dragonball, Z, and DBGT. Was that a translation of Son or was it a Fan name that got popular?
?
You mean the Mexican Spanish dub? That's very strange.... I don't remember hearing "San". Maybe a "Son" with an accent? But they actually don't use "Son Goku" much anyway.

If you have seen that on Latin forums, is most likely a misspelling. We either use Goku or "Gokú".
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Raykugen wrote:
?
I mostly see "San" on Youtube spanish dub(s) of DBZ.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:35 pm

"Son" means "his" or "her" in French so they probably wanted to avoid the name being homonymous with "his Goku" "or "her Goku".

A consequence of the renaming is that "Sangoku" is treated as a single name instead of a family name + first name.

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm

soulnova wrote:You mean the Mexican Spanish dub? That's very strange.... I don't remember hearing "San". Maybe a "Son" with an accent? But they actually don't use "Son Goku" much anyway.

If you have seen that on Latin forums, is most likely a misspelling. We either use Goku or "Gokú".
No, I meant the Spain Spanish dub.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Raykugen wrote:
?
I mostly see "San" on Youtube spanish dub(s) of DBZ.
In the dub from Spain, that doesn't happen, and I'm pretty sure the same with the latinamerican spanish dub. Just put the link of one of the videos that you say.
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Never mind it was French

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:43 am

"San" in French sounds a lot closer to the Japanese "Son" than the French "Son" would.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock: