Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by Tyro » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Fennekin wrote:What irritates me is that FUNimation is reaching out to our community, knowing very well our stance on the DVD, and actually wants us to submit questions, knowing well that this is the final product and won't be in 4:3 no matter how many times we ask.
Just think of it as a way for your disapproval to be heard (in the form of a question) that would otherwise go unnoticed by the company. We have a slight opening in the system to let FUNimation know what we want, and to let them know that we know what they could be giving us. Even if it ultimately amounts to nothing, I'm glad that to still have a voice about it.

I'm no tech expert. I haven't dissected the DBoxes and I know next to nothing about the production. But I know there are fans here who have done the research and will ask the right questions that will really drive our point home. So for that I'm thankful.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 pm

A bit off topic, but what do you guys think are the chances are we'll be getting a proper, definitive and complete-packaged release of DBZ in Blu-Ray (superior video/audio quality, multiple options for audio/dubs, NEPs, Japanese title cards/openings/closings, etc) that'll render the DBoxes obsolete? :D
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:41 pm

A million to one. These Blu-Rays would need to fly off the shelves at the same rate as the orange bricks for there to be any chance of more Level-style remastering.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:A bit off topic, but what do you guys think are the chances are we'll be getting a proper, definitive and complete-packaged release of DBZ in Blu-Ray (superior video/audio quality, multiple options for audio/dubs, NEPs, Japanese title cards/openings/closings, etc) that'll render the DBoxes obsolete? :D
From FUNi? Basically zero. Even if they do decide to go back and continue remastering the rest of the series like how the level-sets were done, I see basically no chance of getting the Japanese credits and title-cards retained, and even less of a chance of getting the previews. So I'd say the only chance we really have of getting a release like that, is if Toei were to take matters into their own hands and give us like a Dragon Box HD or something.

jeisurii

Post by jeisurii » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 pm

That continues to be my hope, and question to Funimation, is that after all this is said and done maybe we'll get a true, respectful frame by frame restored HD release a la the Level sets? There's no reason to ask them anything about their questionable choices on this release because they'll just explain it away with the same nonsense from the press release. "current, and future, televisions can take advantage of" "modern, HD experience,” what?
j3

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:A bit off topic, but what do you guys think are the chances are we'll be getting a proper, definitive and complete-packaged release of DBZ in Blu-Ray (superior video/audio quality, multiple options for audio/dubs, NEPs, Japanese title cards/openings/closings, etc) that'll render the DBoxes obsolete? :D
It's but a dream at this point. Just pray these sell well and FUNi releases a truly worthwhile release later down the line.

I've pretty much lost hope for any recent releases to be as good as the Dragon Boxes. Even in the long term, I don't see any reason why FUNimation would waste their time with a Dragon Ball dragon box. The movies are even more of an unkown issue...
Last edited by dprez on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm

I think the best release we could hope for would be a continuation of the levels sets synced up with the original Japanese broadcast audio that Kei17 is in the process of sending to Christopher Sabat. I just don't see Toei releasing the original DBZ on blu ray after all the work they have put into kai. Which for all intents and purposes is supposed to be a superior filler free version of DBZ that was remastered in HD and given an entirely new musical score and new voice acting.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 am

While I think these are much better than the orange bricks it kills me to see these in 16x9... But the damage is done and let's move on.

It is nice to see that the framing should be good "as good as it's going to get for 16x9, and shouldn't be any worse or better than Kai's 16x9 framing" What worries me is 10 episodes a disk... Why not 5 episodes over 8 disks?!
The only thing I want them to do is to "TURN TOWN THE BRIGHTNESS!!!" I have NEVER seen DBZ this bright(except for season 2)!

widescreen isn't my gripe at this point it's detail but I'll wait for the actual disks than a youtube trailer for comparisons but while I don't expect the crap from the season sets they still are awfully bright which can be fixed by your tv as the colors don't seem to vary just seem brighter and more saturated than they need to be.

I don't expect these to scale well if you have a 4k tv.. while a lot of blu-rays looks great upscaled I just don't see these carrying over..
Last edited by Daimo-Rukiri on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:While I think these are much better than the orange bricks it kills me to see these in 16x9... But the damage is done and let's move on.

It is nice to see that the framing should be good "as good as it's going to get for 16x9, and shouldn't be any worse or better than Kai's 16x9 framing" What worries me is 10 episodes a disk... Why not 5 episodes over 8 disks?!
The only thing I want them to do is to "TURN TOWN THE BRIGHTNESS!!!" I have NEVER seen DBZ this bright(except for season 2)!
The level sets contained 9 episodes on 1 disc, 5 episodes over 8 discs would be expensive and completely unnecessary.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 am

We all know the colors are saturated, but c'mon look at Nappa his skin is practically yellow!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:35 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:We all know the colors are saturated, but c'mon look at Nappa his skin is practically yellow!
So he's Homer Simpson now?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:47 am

Kid Buu wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:We all know the colors are saturated, but c'mon look at Nappa his skin is practically yellow!
So he's Homer Simpson now?
Doh! Hell must be the simpsons for Nappa.

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 10

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:He's talking about Dragon Ball.
Whoops, sorry.I misunderstood. :oops:

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 am

Also different, is the restoration and re-mastering process being used. A bolder, more vibrant color palette is being used to produce a picture current, and future, televisions can take advantage of.
“We want people to see it and know that the time and care has been taken to give them something similar to what they’d see being created today.”
Oh boy. :lol:

Now I am really thankful I have the Dragon Boxes.

Ah well. I'll just patiently wait for them to (hopefully) release more Dragon Boxes and the recently produced stuff. Until then Funimation: :wave:

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:29 am

Because of the included goodies (booklet, absolutely bangin' boxes), nothing is really going to make the Dragon Boxes obsolete. Even if a hypothetical "Level 1.1.2" is created with the Japanese credits and title cards.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 am

Roland_ELoG wrote:Because of the included goodies (booklet, absolutely bangin' boxes), nothing is really going to make the Dragon Boxes obsolete. Even if a hypothetical "Level 1.1.2" is created with the Japanese credits and title cards.
The booklet included with the Dboxes wasn't anything special and the box was just a piece of paper glued to cardboard. Do you really find those extras to be more important than the video quality of the release?
Kendamu wrote:

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:45 am

No I'm saying they were unique. They had a little something extra. The level sets had a higher video quality (well, I liked it), but they weren't very special. The keep cases were solid, but... normal.

Obsolete is a strange word anyway, since the Dragon Boxes obsoleted themselves by going immediately out of production. If a Level set reboot did happen, and it included the title cards and episode previews, it would be a stellar product. But I doubt it would be collectible.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:22 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:I don't expect these to scale well if you have a 4k tv.. while a lot of blu-rays looks great upscaled I just don't see these carrying over..
Actually, the way these are filtered likely means they would scale VERY well.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Snail

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 10

Post by Snail » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 am

I'm buying these releases just for the cover art. Fuck it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:36 am

The cover art looks beyond terrible to me.