Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 11

Post by ect5150 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:... Funimation would've waited until Toei's eventual HD release was complete.
Complete? They haven't even started.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You act as though getting 100 times the stuff as normal franchises is something we should be grateful for.
It kind of is, in a way, you know...say what you will of the quality, but what other anime has had this many different releases? This many different video games? Most of this stuff coming out YEARS after it's been over and done with too? Whereas other titles, fan favorites or not, have to struggle to even get one DVD release completed here. Put into perspective with other shows, DBZ hasn't gotten near the bum rap that a lot of you feel it has.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm

MarcFBR wrote:Do you actually know how video production and framing works, or are you attempting to be facetious? Because the more you post (and your example) really suggests you don't know what you are discussing.
I'm attempting to be facetious.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:21 pm

If you put a filet mignon in front of me right when I'm finished up eating a really well-grilled ribeye, it's not that I don't want the filet, 'cuz I damn well do... it's that I just had my fill of a pretty darn good steak, so gimme some time to digest.

Then you take the filet away from me and come back to me with a spoiled bologna sandwich a few months later.

Don't blame me for not wanting the spoiled bologna sandwich. Ever. At all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Don't blame me for not wanting the spoiled bologna sandwich. Ever. At all.
Except in this case it isn't a spoiled sandwich. It's something a bunch of people seemingly want, even if it's something we don't.

It's more akin to say, the person who went to New York once, and then rambles on for a decade about how great New York pizza is and nothing compares.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Hey, some people like their bologna slimy.

Also, I occasionally travel with my wife's side of the family for 60-90 minutes to go to a very specific pizza place on Staten Island, so nobody talk to me about pizza. Fugetaboutit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Don't blame me for not wanting the spoiled bologna sandwich. Ever. At all.
Except in this case it isn't a spoiled sandwich. It's something a bunch of people seemingly want, even if it's something we don't.

It's more akin to say, the person who went to New York once, and then rambles on for a decade about how great New York pizza is and nothing compares.
For the record...Chicago Deep Dish FTW.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:They cannot properly frame the top or the bottom of the image without showing round corners. They will definitely not show them. What does it mean?
Here is a special edition answer to my rhetorical question:

~40% of picture lose.

I'm posting here to share my point of view and knowledge. I'm also interested in learning more from people who also wants to share their knowledge. I would love to admit that I'm wrong, but for that I need some argumentation.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Here is a special edition answer to my rhetorical question:

~40% of picture lose.

I'm posting here to share my point of view and knowledge. I'm also interested in learning more from people who also wants to share their knowledge. I would love to admit that I'm wrong, but for that I need some argumentation.
This one seems facetious, your prior one didn't.

Of course, the shot you are using doesn't really help to make your point regardless, as your own comparison will do more to convince people that widescreen makes sense than anything Funimation has shown thus far.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:03 pm

MarcFBR wrote:This one seems facetious, your prior one didn't.

Of course, the shot you are using doesn't really help to make your point regardless, as your own comparison will do more to convince people that widescreen makes sense than anything Funimation has shown thus far.
I'm glad.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:17 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:... Funimation would've waited until Toei's eventual HD release was complete.
Complete? They haven't even started.
I think that he meant that when he said "eventual".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 pm

http://www.up1usa.com/Details/D1857-Dra ... yb+Blu-ray
I think this confirms it is Region Free for the UK (yay :D ) but for some reason it's cheaper shipping to the uk than then us. Strange. Still Cheaper on Amazon though.

Oh, yeah and Season 2 will contain episodes 40-74.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:I've been noticing that a lot of people here and at Amazon praise the DBZ Level Blu-rays but here's the problem; Very few of you actually bothered to support it which without it led to its death.
You keep essentially blaming the victim.
DBZ fans get 100 times the stuff any other anime does in the USA. DBZ fans being the victim in any proposition isn't quite right.
Most other series get the one good release, and DBZ gets a bunch of garbage ones. It's sad that Kai is the best looking DBZ product I have. Anyone who wants the original Z in full screen can't even watch the anime at this point. Getting all the Japanese singles off CDJapan would cost $1813+ and the FUNimation Dragon Box Z sets would be in the ballpark of $800 on Amazon. :(
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Watching this makes me sad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAy02J2fd8. :cry:
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 pm

In the age of rampant piracy, going out to buy a series should be applauded. We're not made of money. We shouldn't be expected to buy every rerelease ever.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 pm

qjz123 wrote:Watching this makes me sad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAy02J2fd8. :cry:
Now you made me sad =( I loved the level sets

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 am

MarcFBR wrote:

There are starving kids in Africa who would kill for a spoiled bologna sandwich.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

dbret12

Post by dbret12 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 am

Most of the Dragon Ball Z fans aren't going to buy these Blu-rays as they are cropped. If FUNimation LISTENED to the hardcore fans and remastered all 291 episode in 4:3 with the 3 audio tracks (dub with dub music, dub with Japanese music and Japanese track), it would satisfy them and they would buy the sets. But not when it's cropped. So it's best for the fans to stick with their Dragon Boxes.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:26 am

dbret12 wrote:Most of the Dragon Ball Z fans aren't going to buy these Blu-rays as they are cropped. If FUNimation LISTENED to the hardcore fans and remastered all 291 episode in 4:3 with the 3 audio tracks (dub with dub music, dub with Japanese music and Japanese track), it would satisfy them and they would buy the sets. But not when it's cropped. So it's best for the fans to stick with their Dragon Boxes.
That's not true the hardcore fanbase such as the people on this site make up a small portion of the fan base. The causal fanbase want's a cheap release that will fill their screens and they want the image to be grain free.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:36 am

qjz123 wrote:Watching this makes me sad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAy02J2fd8. :cry:
Makes you want to cry huh. Hearing the guy talking about retaining the film grain... such hope was lost after the Level sets were canned.