Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

darkknightkryta

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by darkknightkryta » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I personally think Funimation used the survey for their marketing. They went on and on about the "improved" colours, but was pretty mum on the cropping until the last minute.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just realized Madman's bringing these over to AUS and NZ soon. Wow. Just, wow.
Where does it say that they're bringing it over? I checked both sites and it wasn't listed under any new release anime coming soon.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Fizzer wrote:From Funi's responses to Kanzenshuu's questions, it sounded like the majority vote may well have been 4:3, but they also looked at the sales performance of the orange bricks compared to the Dragon Boxes and Levels, and also the cost-effectiveness of cutting off all the damage on the tops and bottoms of the frames, and those things swayed their decision.
I think this is the release Funimation had in mind even before the survey judging by the way they described their new remastering process. The survey question asking about the aspect ratio was just used to determine whether or not there were enough people who wanted a 16:9 release. Regardless if they were the majority or not.
I think that you may be right. It is also possible that they did this survey only for blaming the fans for 16:9. About the quality: They told us what they are planning to do in the description of the survey:
FUNimation wrote:FUNimation is looking into releasing Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray at an affordable price with a brand new remaster using new technology to make the show look brighter and crisper.
It seems that the knew how the footage will look... maybe they had some portion of episodes already produced when they launched the survey? We will never know.
Fizzer wrote:Does anyone have any figures or estimates regarding the costs of the two remastering processes, say per episode or per minute?
http://www.videoconversionexperts.com/F ... m-Film.htm ?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 pm

The sad thing is I actually wouldn't have minded buying this release if it just stayed in 4:3. I could maybe tolerate the colours and the overall flat look of the picture to an extent but it being in 16:9 just ruins it.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 pm

I remember that was the same thing I thought about the orange bricks. I so wanted an easy, affordable, convenient release of DBZ that I was willing to overlook all the terrible picture flaws, but I just couldn't live with the cropping. That was the one step too far.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/16/20!)
Current Episode: The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I remember that was the same thing I thought about the orange bricks. I so wanted an easy, affordable, convenient release of DBZ that I was willing to overlook all the terrible picture flaws, but I just couldn't live with the cropping. That was the one step too far.
Sad also because the OB's originally started looking pretty shite but got progressively better with each new release. They probably would have looked pretty good in 4:3.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:easy, affordable, convenient
These qualities in almost anything usually require some sacrifice somewhere.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Eh. I found the Dragon Boxes had those qualities when they first came out. They were even more convenient than the season sets (7 purchases instead of 9), and while the price was slightly higher, they were definitely affordable.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/16/20!)
Current Episode: The Hero We Deserved - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 1!

Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Tyro » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh. I found the Dragon Boxes had those qualities when they first came out. They were even more convenient than the season sets (7 purchases instead of 9), and while the price was slightly higher, they were definitely affordable.
Rightstuf had a sale every time a new DBox released, usually going from $55 to $35. That's how I bought all 7.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Here's a video comparing the aspect ratio's of the level sets vs the season sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM
Yhh the cropping looks to have been done properly this time around. Thank Goodness.
It's still far from being proper and not even worth calling selective cropping compared to Kai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC0ZX0ABQkI

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 am

Gonstead wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just realized Madman's bringing these over to AUS and NZ soon. Wow. Just, wow.
Where does it say that they're bringing it over? I checked both sites and it wasn't listed under any new release anime coming soon.
You checked both sites, but did you check THE site? :wink:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/01/05/ma ... rays-2014/
Kanzenshuu..."There's a Site Too?"

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 am

kei17 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:I think it'll be very interesting to see exactly how they would handle a high definition remaster. I'm not really aware of any of Toei's Blu-Ray releases for cel animated shows. What are their policies on grain reduction, colour timings etc?
Toei released an HD remastered DVD box of the Hokuto no Ken series. Though it's not Blu-ray, it's billed as being remastered in HD. They did extensive true-to-original-cels style color correction and cleared away the grain. I guess they'll do the same to Dragon Ball.
Wasn't this q-tec as well, the same company that did the restoration for Kai? I wouldn't be surprised if Z on blu-ray is a direct copy of the original masters for that pre-reanimated scenes.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

Tyro wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh. I found the Dragon Boxes had those qualities when they first came out. They were even more convenient than the season sets (7 purchases instead of 9), and while the price was slightly higher, they were definitely affordable.
Rightstuf had a sale every time a new DBox released, usually going from $55 to $35. That's how I bought all 7.
Yep, me too, although on occasion, I found that Amazon had the better deal. :D

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 am

If they were remastering the footage in its 4:3 aspect ratio, would they then exclusively release a cropped product? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hesitate to consider this release better [than the OBs] when we're still getting cropped garbage. I guess, in a way, it could be considered better for not having a laundry list of issues (beyond the destruction of detail and the piercing brightness) but it's no significant improvement. I just hope FUNimation hasn't given up on 4:3 DBZ releases.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am

KingofWisdom wrote:If they were remastering the footage in its 4:3 aspect ratio, would they then exclusively release a cropped product? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
2007-2009 - Orange Bricks = Wide Screen
2009-2011 - Dragon Boxes = Full Screen
2011-2011 - Level Sets = Full Screen
2014-2015 - Season BDs = Wide Screen

So who knows they might do a 4x3 AR Blu-ray after this one.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am

That's what I'll choose to believe. There has never been a break from DBZ releases since the anime became a thing in the US. If they don't want two concurring releases to compete, they'll have to do something different... or give the series a break.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
You checked both sites, but did you check THE site? :wink:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/01/05/ma ... rays-2014/
Kanzenshuu..."There's a Site Too?"
Yet they never brought over the Dragon Boxes and anime is extremely overpriced, $60 for 13 Episodes of One Piece? Thank You Amazon.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Yet they never brought over the Dragon Boxes and anime is extremely overpriced, $60 for 13 Episodes of One Piece? Thank You Amazon.
And in Japan, we have to spend about $160 for 12 episodes of Kai.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm

kei17 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Yet they never brought over the Dragon Boxes and anime is extremely overpriced, $60 for 13 Episodes of One Piece? Thank You Amazon.
And in Japan, we have to spend about $160 for 12 episodes of Kai.
They figure you love it that much more in Japan.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:54 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:That's what I'll choose to believe. There has never been a break from DBZ releases since the anime became a thing in the US. If they don't want two concurring releases to compete, they'll have to do something different... or give the series a break.
I agree, these new sets were pretty much out the blue. And once they finish releasing nall 9 seasons that's surely it? Unless they're thinking of milking the 4:3 fanbase after too, either with more dragon boxes or the completion of the level sets but at limited quantity. Who knows. But they'll find a way, they always too.

I just hope after this blu-ray run or during, they license and dub all the undubbed specials/OVA's and of course BoG, and make it into one big collection. That would be awesome.