Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:10 am

These should work now:

http://imgbox.com/abejk1Pw (Piccolo)

http://imgbox.com/abkpdzF2 (Goku)

Thanks to Dragon191 for these pics.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:28 am

Those shoots are way way to bright imo.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am

SupremeSSJ wrote:Those shoots are way way to bright imo.
If FUNimation considered to release a DVD version of these sets they would look really good because downscaled to 640p has pretty good picture quality, and with the right colours/brightness/sharpening too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:38 am

Honestly the brightness doesn't bother me at all. As I mentioned before I always bright up Kai when I watch it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm

I do find it to be a bit too bright, but it's a considerable improvement over the brightness of the Orange Bricks.

(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:These should work now:

http://imgbox.com/abejk1Pw (Piccolo)

http://imgbox.com/abkpdzF2 (Goku)

Thanks to Dragon191 for these pics.
Those look awful...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Kendamu wrote:I do find it to be a bit too bright, but it's a considerable improvement over the brightness of the Orange Bricks.

*snip* *snip*
You mistakenly took DBOXKAIFAN's darkened edit of the Blu-ray shot and a horribly taken OB shot (as has been everyone else's in this thread). That's why it looks better.

Here is an accurate comparison:

BR (downscaled):

OB:

As usual, the colors are nearly exact. Any time I've seen the BR colors looking superior is when the OB shot is taken horribly. Whenever I take an accurate screenshot, the colors are extremely close, and it's a shame this misinformation is getting out there, because people see the crappy OB shots, and think these are a huge improvement when they really aren't.

I actually like the colors of the OB shot more, because it has better white balance than the Blu-ray's overly yellow cast. It's also sad that it's not that much blurrier, and at least with the OB you can still see a bit of the floor's texture...

EDIT: Toned down the level of anger in this post.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Yeah, that shot looks better on the OB in every way except for the blurriness.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

1) Oops!
2) Kind of hard to take a proper screen of something I don't own. Sorry!
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Kendamu wrote:Kind of hard to take a proper screen of something I don't own. Sorry!
No problem. Looking back at it, I hope I didn't come across as overly angry about it. :oops: Guess I'm just a little agitated at having to retake every single Orange Brick shot in this thread. :crazy: :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Because of the last shot being so bad, I went ahead and grabbed a shot from TheGreenQuality5th's YouTube uploads and the corresponding shot off of Hulu on my iPad. This is what I was able to come up with. I'm not sure if Hulu's stream of DBZ has some horrible compression going on or what, but I am seeing a pretty big improvement between the sets.
If you can get a better Orange Brick shot than that, I'd hate to annoy you with it but I'd like to see it. A lot of people are giving awesome comparisons to the Dragon Box and the Levels, but what I'd really like to see is how these stand up to the original Singles, the Ultimate Uncuts, and especially the Orange Bricks as that's what these are supposed to be the new version of.
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Kendamu wrote:I'd hate to annoy you with it
Don't worry about it. I was overreacting I suppose. :lol: Guess I was just tired, though it is kinda embarrassing, really. :oops:

Here:

OB:

Hulu:

Blu-ray:

Hulu's definitely looks worse, though Raditz is a tad more yellow in the OB than in the Blu-ray, though everything else is about the same color wise.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Damn, those lines look better
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Huh, Raditz has his finger cut off on that Hulu shot.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Huh, Raditz has his finger cut off on that Hulu shot.
It's a different frame.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Image
Seriously guys... just use imgur.com for you image needs. Autogenerates thumbnail links directly to the picture, etc...

But what the heck is up with those weird artifacts in the image? The blocks and jaggies in the high contrast areas.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 pm

ect5150 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Image
Seriously guys... just use imgur.com for you image needs. Autogenerates thumbnail links directly to the picture, etc...

But what the heck is up with those weird artifacts in the image? The blocks and jaggies in the high contrast areas.
Yea, those parts of the image where one color is transitioning into another shade is very distracting when seeing this in motion. It happens in almost every scene - even when people are just standing around.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Yea, those parts of the image where one color is transitioning into another shade is very distracting when seeing this in motion. It happens in almost every scene - even when people are just standing around.
So it looks worse in motion? :o

I feel pretty sure it's just the DNR algorithm not being to deal with heavy grain (or trying to remove too much of it). I'm surprised you says it looks worse in motion.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Yea, those parts of the image where one color is transitioning into another shade is very distracting when seeing this in motion. It happens in almost every scene - even when people are just standing around.
So it looks worse in motion? :o

I feel pretty sure it's just the DNR algorithm not being to deal with heavy grain (or trying to remove too much of it). I'm surprised you says it looks worse in motion.
Well, it did for me. It seemed like every area where color was transitioning to another shade, that area would shake as if the two shades were fighting for dominance.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 pm

The Blue Bricks have this issue, but to a lesser extent. So, is it as bad as the disappearing line problem overall, since it apparently appears way more often?

Here's an example of the grain "streaking":

You can see there are areas where the DVNR didn't remove the grain properly. What I think is going on is the DVNR seems to be applying it in motion, if that makes sense. I don't think this would be a problem if they were applied to each individual frame. I think that also explains the disappearing lines in earlier Z bricks, which wouldn't have happened if the DVNR had been actually applied frame by frame.

I don't know much about how DVNR and video editing works, so I could be way off base. I don't see any other explanation for why these video artifacts occur in motion, though.