Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Son Geeko » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:It makes me all the more worried for when Cowboy Bebop comes out in December. Funimation better not screw that release.
It's literally all else of their licenses, popular or minor, that they don't tend to mess around with like they do with Dragon Ball... and their constant fixation to never leave alone is kinda odd.

Only not so long a while ago had I thought they learned their lesson, yet it's downright pathetic how we're on this same nonsense 7 years later.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 am

Son Geeko wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:It makes me all the more worried for when Cowboy Bebop comes out in December. Funimation better not screw that release.
It's literally all else of their licenses, popular or minor, that they don't tend to mess around with like they do with Dragon Ball... and their constant fixation to never leave alone is kinda odd.
Their other licenses also provide them with decent masters
Only not so long a while ago had I thought they learned their lesson, yet it's downright pathetic how we're on this same nonsense 7 years later.
What lesson is that? Their job is to make money the best they can, and the target audience is eating these Blu-rays up. They aren't the only ones who do this because they know it'll work 'watches cropped, stretched and heavily filtered Simpsons episodes on FXX'
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:05 pm

I hope they use the money from this release to finish the levels a few years down the road.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Son Geeko wrote:yet it's downright pathetic how we're on this same nonsense 7 years later.
No, not at all.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:35 am

Son Geeko wrote:

Well the cropping on these Blu Rays are not that bad in my opinion. Its hardly noticeable unlike the cropping on the orange bricks.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Fizzer wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
The Levels sold poorly due to the fact they were released on the tail end of a previous release and the Orange Bricks were still selling well if I remember correctly. Now..if they released the levels in place of these season sets, it would be a different story.
It could be that, but it's probably still hopeless now, even if they wait a few more years. I really don't think they'll sell well when whole seasons are already on blu ray for the same price, in widescreen (which means the same thing as HD ;))
dexterp wrote:I kinda feel bad putting a selfless plug in on here, but here goes. I'm going away on sunday and I could do with the extra money. So, if anyone in the UK wants season 1 -4 on blu-ray for £40 p&p included, let me know ASAP and I'll get it sent out :)
I'd probably go for that, but I'm waiting to see if Manga UK do a release and how it compares.
Widescreen is the problem. But sadly theres people who have that "Urrgh it dont fit my tv this is terrible" mindset. Its funny really. Funimation released Eureka 7 in bluray a few months back and they kept it in their 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't get why they keep doing this to DBZ. It makes me all the more worried for when Cowboy Bebop comes out in December. Funimation better not screw that release.

They do that with Dragon Ball Z because its a mainstream anime. So many non anime fans watch it and sadly they have problems with black bars on there television screen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up, but apparently there's some slight controversy over the FXX Simpsons marathon because they're zooming and cropping the footage of older episodes.

Not completely related to the topic...but still interesting, IMO.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Big Momma wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up, but apparently there's some slight controversy over the FXX Simpsons marathon because they're zooming and cropping the footage of older episodes.

Not completely related to the topic...but still interesting, IMO.
It's also funny how many people are giving the same complaints as they are here (for these blurays). I wonder what the people who dont care about the cropping of Z are flipping lids over the Simpsons lol

I mean, I rather see all shows and films shown in their original aspect ratios. I hate when they stretch the image too..it looks horrible (but can be fixed).

Some simpsons screencaps for those who are interested
http://imgur.com/a/FOPr9

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:46 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:It's also funny how many people are giving the same complaints as they are here (for these blurays). I wonder what the people who dont care about the cropping of Z are flipping lids over the Simpsons lol

I mean, I rather see all shows and films shown in their original aspect ratios. I hate when they stretch the image too..it looks horrible (but can be fixed).

Some simpsons screencaps for those who are interested
http://imgur.com/a/FOPr9
You know, for something that's airing on TV I'm not the kind of guy to complain about but if it were a home release (BD/DVD) I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with it and demand for a return.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Not sure if it has already been pointed out but for episode 164 the text "Ghosts From Tomorrow" is missing on the title card.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Will you take a screen shot of it for me please? I believe you, I just want to see it.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Codarik wrote:Not sure if it has already been pointed out but for episode 164 the text "Ghosts From Tomorrow" is missing on the title card.
FUNimation seems to have such a hard time with title cards. There is always at least one that is messed up in every release.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Codarik wrote:Not sure if it has already been pointed out but for episode 164 the text "Ghosts From Tomorrow" is missing on the title card.
WTF again?? Didn't this happen on season 5 as well?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Will you take a screen shot of it for me please? I believe you, I just want to see it.
Here you go.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 pm

That's truly amazing...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Wow...How does that even happen? haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:58 pm

If these blu rays are the final dragon ball z release, then these are a major dissapointment so far.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Yes episode 164 is in s5, this was bought up before.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Yes episode 164 is in s5, this was bought up before.
Wow man. Don't the people at funimation take a look at there shit before releasing it like come on now this is ridiculous. How do you miss putting on a title card?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 am

qjz123 wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Will you take a screen shot of it for me please? I believe you, I just want to see it.
Here you go.
Whoa, such professionalism!
JackyBoi99 wrote:If these blu rays are the final dragon ball z release, then these are a major dissapointment so far.
Dragon Ball Z is FUNimation's Madden so as long as it's profitable it'll never end.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray