Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Right now our best bet is to spread the word of how bad this release is. Hopefully everyone is already content with their OB's and this will tank faster then broccoli at a kids birthday party.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 pm

qjz123 wrote:
bkev wrote:Is this guy a rep for them?
Lol
Pardon me for not keeping up with every anime news source, I have other things more important in my life. :roll:
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Made the Twitter hashtags #ZShouldBe4by3 and #DontMuckUpAspectRatios .

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 pm

bkev wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
bkev wrote:Is this guy a rep for them?
Lol
Pardon me for not keeping up with every anime news source, I have other things more important in my life. :roll:
My bad I thought that you were calling me a Funimation rep.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 pm

I used the phrase "pan & scan" in my survey answer- about 16:9+ ratios being cut to 4:3, not the other way around- but still, this makes me feel awful.

I'm curious what that will translate to, though. Ugggggh, Funay.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Is there anything we can actually do or do we just need to accept it?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I really, really, really hope this is just an error on the listing... Why are they doing this? I understand finishing the bricks in 16:9 for consistency, but we got DB, DBGT, DBZ Kai (which, mind you, got a superior release here than in Japan) in their original 4:3 ratio. Why the sudden jump back to 16:9? Four steps forwards, and then back to square one. We just can't get a complete/uncropped/de-zoomed release from FUNi, it seems.

Should this information prove accurate, it gives me more reason to lack faith in the franchise's North Americans fans. The "pan & scan" aspect is nice and all, if even true, but it would've been much, much easier to leave the footage be. Guess the responsibility to release a proper Dragon Ball Blu-Ray would have to fall into Toei's hands, and that's if they see a reason to do so (Hopefully with the broadcast audio, but Kei seems skeptical about that).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Even though I never had any plans to buy the blu-rays, this is still depressing to read about.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Our best bet is to spread awareness of how bad these things are on Twitter, Tumblr etc and of coarse not by them.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Wow... I don't know quite know what to say. I'm really hoping this just isn't their "Orange Brick" remasters just slapped onto Blu-Ray, but there's a good chance that's what this is... :(

If it's a truly brand-new remaster, and they're really manually cropping instead of "default-center-cropping" like the OBs, then there's a chance this could look decent (ala Kai.)

Personally, I'm just feeling more and relieved I snapped up the Dragon Boxes and Kai, cuz it's looking more and more like I don't need to buy the DBZ TV series from FUNimation ever again (until that mystical DBox: The Movies is ever announced.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Is there anything we can actually do or do we just need to accept it?
Message them on Facebook and Twitter about the issue.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 pm

bkev wrote:Is this guy a rep for them? I don't know the twitter account. Remember, one of their reps said the green bricks were going to be 16:9 too.
WTK doesn't work for Funimation. The image he posted is likely from a retail fact sheet.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SativaSam

Post by SativaSam » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 pm

This is an honest question here, how does Funimation keep doing this? I'm being 100% serious. EVERY single release thus far has had a dealbreaker with it, atleast for me. The Dragon Boxes were amazing quality but didn't have Faulconer (I know not everyone wants that) the orange boxes are... obviously bad, etc etc etc. How does it keep coming to this? They continue to re-release this series and never get it right. I really do not understand... like I seriously don't know what to say. How do you mess it up this many times...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

SativaSam wrote:This is an honest question here, how does Funimation keep doing this? I'm being 100% serious. EVERY single release thus far has had a dealbreaker with it, atleast for me. The Dragon Boxes were amazing quality but didn't have Faulconer (I know not everyone wants that) the orange boxes are... obviously bad, etc etc etc. How does it keep coming to this? They continue to re-release this series and never get it right. I really do not understand... like I seriously don't know what to say. How do you mess it up this many times...
The closest you can get are the singles...minus Saiyan/namek sagas...sigh....

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm actually not as surprised reading that as I expected to be hearing that the BDs will be 16x9.

As a fan, I don't like it and I'm unlikely to buy them.

Looking at it from a purely business/fiscal perspective... it's probably the right way to go (add on some of the technical knowledge and I'm more surprised that I didn't see this coming honestly.)

Makes perfect sense even if I don't like it.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:43 pm

So why am I hearing that the new dragon ball z blu rays are gonna be in 16:9 like what the fuck :shock:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 pm

MarcFBR wrote:As a fan, I don't like it and I'm unlikely to buy them.

Looking at it from a purely business/fiscal perspective... it's probably the right way to go (add on some of the technical knowledge and I'm more surprised that I didn't see this coming honestly.)

I'm in the same boat, really. I would be more upset if this was the only way they released DBZ. Luckily, they've already given fans like me the release we've wanted (the Dragon Boxes), so even though I'm not happy that they are cropping the show again, I'm happy knowing I've got my complete collection of Z already. And for a good dub, I've already got Kai on Blu-Ray as well.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 pm

This also really makes me wonder if infact the level sets didn't sell well because they were not 16x9.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:53 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
MarcFBR wrote:As a fan, I don't like it and I'm unlikely to buy them.

I'm in the same boat, really. I would be more upset if this was the only way they released DBZ. Luckily, they've already given fans like me the release we've wanted (the Dragon Boxes), so even though I'm not happy that they are cropping the show again, I'm happy knowing I've got my complete collection of Z already. And for a good dub, I've already got Kai on Blu-Ray as well.
As far as we know their 1080p masters (ignoring the cropping) are decent enough (the damage being done to the DVD set seemingly being done during scaling, by one of Funi's older video guys who left partway through doing the bricks.) They tried doing the more expensive fancier remastering with the Level release, which required a different budget/pricing level to make work. It didn't work out well enough, and they have shiny masters that fans don't like, but the mass market literally can't get enough of them.

The orange bricks still sell like hotcakes, to the point you have retailers like Wal-Mart wanting their own special formations of them so they can sell even MORE of them.

Fans didn't buy it remastered properly. The mass market will likely love these, same as they did the orange bricks (Assuming of course that information wasn't preliminary, or incorrect text sent out.)

This is also brilliant in another potential way...

They are doing a mass market release which will likely do very well.

If/When Toei does their own release, Funi can release it again if they believe the market exists for it.

eledoremassis02 wrote:This also really makes me wonder if infact the level sets didn't sell well because they were not 16x9.
The level sets were more expensive to remaster, and because of that they were higher priced/less episodes. Priced well for an anime release, but not necessary the cheaper mass market style release that can sell at higher amounts.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 pm

MarcFBR wrote:I'm actually not as surprised reading that as I expected to be hearing that the BDs will be 16x9.

As a fan, I don't like it and I'm unlikely to buy them.

This is likely a dumb question, but what specific aspect sets "Pan & Scan" apart?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler