Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 09

Post by Hujio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 am

I'll only say it this once. If you have nothing worthwhile to add to this discussion, other than slams from the past, please don't derail this thread for those that are actually discussing the topic at hand and expressing their personal feelings toward this release. If it continues, actions will be taken. Carry on.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray

Post by Fulicer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 am

Aoi wrote:I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm picking these up strictly because of the Blu Ray disk's long lasting value. Those things are impossible to scratch and they are designed to roughly last a century. Some of my Dragon Box DVDs, even though I take good care of them, are somehow scratched and skip through a few episodes.
In that case you should rip and backup your DBox DVDs just in case. You never know how this release will turn out.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 am

Well, I'm not buying this and wait till Toei releases their own Blu-rays. I hope FUNi will crop it carefully like Kai anyway.

MarcFBR wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

Ask Blu-ray anime fans, in general, their feeling on Q-Tec's HD remastering work.

They're on the same list of things people hate, right around cropping
They do screw it up when it comes to upscaling, but they're not that bad at remastering film footage.

Aoi wrote:I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm picking these up strictly because of the Blu Ray disk's long lasting value. Those things are impossible to scratch and they are designed to roughly last a century.
They said the same thing every time when they invented a new optical disc and it was never true.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:02 am

kei17 wrote:
Aoi wrote:I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm picking these up strictly because of the Blu Ray disk's long lasting value. Those things are impossible to scratch and they are designed to roughly last a century.
They said the same thing every time when they invented a new optical disc and it was never true.
While the statement that they have a durability of a century is a bit exaggerated, it's certainly more durable than a DVD.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 am

kei17 wrote:They do screw it up when it comes to upscaling, but they're not that bad at remastering film footage.
Generically true, but they do tend to love turning up the filters a bit much even on their film remastered works.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 am

MarcFBR wrote:
kei17 wrote:They do screw it up when it comes to upscaling, but they're not that bad at remastering film footage.
Generically true, but they do tend to love turning up the filters a bit much even on their film remastered works.
Yeah, especially blurring for removing grain. Considering that Q-Tec is one of the cheapest post-production companies in Japan that can handle HD remasters, they would be the most likely choice if FUNi outsourced the remastering works to Japan. I don't think they will, though.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:20 am

Did Q-TEC do the Galaxy Express movie remaster? Because that in particular I remember looking pretty atrocious...

Somewhat more on-topic, I really am curious to see what happens. I'm surprised at the tepid reaction this has gotten so far.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 am

ringworm128 wrote:Right now our best bet is to spread the word of how bad this release is. Hopefully everyone is already content with their OB's and this will tank faster then broccoli at a kids birthday party.
Really? That's just really immature. I don't mean to be rude but, I really wouldn't suggest doing that.

Look, FUNimation actually asked the fans about the aspect ratio this time around. Apparently it seems the majority of the fans out there actually want DBZ in widescreen. I mean, I don't like it either but, I can grasp the concept of why it's being done. They have their Orange Bricks wich seems to be their default go-to version of the series on DVD. It seems like they wanna also have a go-to version of the series on Blu-ray as well. Kinda makes sense if the Orange Bricks sold well, to make a similar line of Blu-rays.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:27 am

There's nothing immature about spreading the word that a release is good/bad (that's why we have reviewers) as long as it's done properly. I'm not saying "call anyone who supports this an asshole, also be sure to use plenty of swear words. Oh and let's start "FunimationIsGay.com". I'm saying we should try and get the word out because it might change the minds of some people. I used to think the OB's were cool and seeing people point out the flaws changed my mind. Heck if it weren't for people spreading the word on the season sets we might not have gotten the Dragonboxes.
Apparently it seems the majority of the fans out there actually want DBZ in widescreen.
That's probably because a majority of the fans have no idea of the flaws and are only thinking "Widescreen? That's what all the modern shows use. ZOMG DBZ looking all modern and new!"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:37 am

kei17 wrote:Well, I'm not buying this and wait till Toei releases their own Blu-rays. I hope FUNi will crop it carefully like Kai anyway.
Maybe the fact that a 4:3 option existed for Kai made it less of an impact for me, but I honestly didn't mind Kai's cropping that much. They actually did pretty well.

Mostly what I'm worried about, though, is the colors. When I think of the Orange Bricks, which these are obviously being compared to, I think more of the horrible colors than I do the cropping. If this has Kai-style cropping and pretty decent colors, most of what I find wrong with it will be done away with and fans who want the show in Blu-ray won't have to rely on utter garbage for a release.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:40 am

Guess I'll have to wait for another DBZ release to replace my orange bricks, since the Dragon Boxes came out at a bad time for me. Can't say I blame FUNimation for this one, since they're likely putting out what the fans want. I'm just disappointed it has to be this way.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:44 am

ringworm128 wrote:There's nothing immature about spreading the word that a release is good/bad (that's why we have reviewers) as long as it's done properly. I'm not saying "call anyone who supports this an asshole, also be sure to use plenty of swear words. Oh and let's start "FunimationIsGay.com". I'm saying we should try and get the word out because it might change the minds of some people. I used to think the OB's were cool and seeing people point out the flaws changed my mind. Heck if it weren't for people spreading the word on the season sets we might not have gotten the Dragonboxes.
Apparently it seems the majority of the fans out there actually want DBZ in widescreen.
That's probably because a majority of the fans have no idea of the flaws and are only thinking "Widescreen? That's what all the modern shows use. ZOMG DBZ looking all modern and new!"
I just had a problem with someone spreading the word about this being a bad product when we haven't even seen it yet. We don't even have a trailer for us to just pick at or form an early idea of what the video might look like. But I get what you're saying and I agree, I know if there's a bad product out there there's definitely ways to spread the word about it. Didn't mean to seem like I was picking on just you. :D

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 am

Of course, the other thing to mention...

And maybe this is why even when I ignore my knowledge about the way the business side works, as a fan, I still don't feel that upset about it.

I think it's cause deep down... even being very pleased with how the Level sets looked...

DBZ doesn't overly hold up in HD in such a way that it felt necessary. Sure the lines are a bit sharper... and Funi was doing good with the colors (as I recall), and I remember feeling excited to for the show to come out in such a good manner. But it not coming out is tempered because I know this means its coming out in a way where it actually increases the chances of new people seeing it. Which in the long run is good for all of us.

The only thing really disappointing is there isn't currently an easy way to just pick up the show without alterations... but then that isn't really changed from the last couple years at this point so I just don't feel that energetic about it.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 am

I did dislike the cropping of the orange bricks, but not as much as the shitty "remastering" process which was what made it truly unwatchable. The cropping in Kai was pretty decent. When Kai aired cropped I didn't mind at all, it was the new, refreshed version of the series, it was also remastered with a new orchestral score. As Kai is the "refreshed" series, I may have actually been a tiny bit disappointed that the DVDs were 4:3.

Obviously I'd rather have all the footage there for this release, obviously I'd rather have the Levels sets, and I've posted a link to this thread on FUNimation's Facebook page, but the selective cropping might actually not be that bad, and honestly, I'd rather have it than nothing. If this remaster is half as good as the Levels sets, if the release has the audio options that we like and whatnot, it might be pretty good, and I'm going to pick up the first season to see how it is.

As crappy as it is that they're cropping, it's a really bad idea to raise a rebellion, sabotage this release and get the second attempt at releasing Z on Blu-ray in a row cancelled. Do you really think they're going to keep taking risks with this franchise if it keeps failing them, or if nobody is ever pleased with their attempts? The only way we'll ever get the rest of the Dragon Boxes is if the franchise is going really strong for FUNi. I also don't think we should complain about being asked what we want, even if we were outvoted.

Before being filled with such bitterness and rage, let's just wait and see what happens.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 am

Ill for sure be picking these up, I own everything else Funi has put out of DB/Z/GT, and hopefully they will be less bulky that the orange brick sets.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 am

Fizzer wrote:As crappy as it is that they're cropping, it's a really bad idea to raise a rebellion, sabotage this release and get the second attempt at releasing Z on Blu-ray in a row cancelled. Do you really think they're going to keep taking risks with this franchise if it keeps failing them, or if nobody is ever pleased with their attempts? The only way we'll ever get the rest of the Dragon Boxes is if the franchise is going really strong for FUNi. I also don't think we should complain about being asked what we want, even if we were outvoted.
I'm sorry, but no. Just no, no, no. I am getting so sick of hearing this completely backwards theory of free market economics in that we have to support FUNimation's crappy table scraps to get a product we actually want. That's ridiculous. They're supposed to be working to get our money by putting out the best product they can. If they can't deliver on their end, we're idiots to deliver on our end. It makes the consumer a complete glutton for punishment, takes any and all power out of the consumers' hands, and gives the seller no incentive to not do stupid shit like this. Why put forth effort to do it correctly when the orange bricks gave our company Scrooge McDuck swimming pools of gold? So, no, attempting to "sabotage" this release by not buying it and encouraging others to do the same is EXACTLY what we're supposed to do.

Also, technical specifications are a decision you should never entrust the general public with, even less so when the majority of your target audience is young people, and FUNimation, despite their own track record of bad technical decisions, should have at least had the common sense to know that. Sheesh, on the next survey, they might as well throw out questions about NTSC vs. PAL, crushed blacks, mono vs. stereo, and any and all other technical specifications to a crowd that only knows, "DUR HUR.... HD is purty!"
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 am

I'm actually pretty surprised they didn`t release trailer along with announcement , i doubt it will be same remaster as OB in HD, since Chris Sabat himself, during Dragon Box Z first reveal said "We didn`t change a damn thing" saddest thing is it will probably once again postpone Dragon Box The Movies release :cry:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 am

I feel sorry for the dub fans who want their version of the show with the correct aspect ratio. We at least got the Dragonboxes, their only option is hunting down the crappy old DVD singles.
Sheesh, on the next survey, they might as well throw out questions about NTSC vs. PAL, crushed blacks, mono vs. stereo, and any and all other technical specifications to a crowd that only knows, "DUR HUR.... HD is purty!"
Kami bless these words.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but, isn't Dragon Ball Z the only series released by FUNimation that's had its aspect ratio altered like this? It's not like it's the first time they're releasing a 4:3 show on Blu-ray.

And, about the "pan & scan" quote that people are holding on to, didn't they say the same for the original DVD Orange Bricks? So...uhm...yeah, fuck it. Who knows, they might announce Dragon Box Z The Blu-rays after releasing Season 9 of this abomination. (Or a new set of Dragon Boxes. That'd be pretty sweet.)

Announcement reaction: Hugging Dragon Boxes and laughing.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 am

This is horrible news. I'm putting my foot down and not buying this release. Extremely disrespectful to the crew who directed and animated the show and is wildly inconsistent with Dragonball and GT only having 4:3 framing.

If they release all 3 series in 16:9 is the only event I see myself picking this up, but I already have my dragonboxes, so I don't really see it happening.