Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 am

That and, really? You really think it's cool to diss someone for getting whatever they want signed by someone involved with it, no matter how much you dislike said person in question? Judgemental, much?

While I still don't really have an interest in these sets, I am pretty jealous of the extras we're finally starting to get. This kind of stuff is what should have been on the old DVD Season Sets from the get go, gah.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:17 am

Those interviews were very cool. I especially enjoyed listening to Sabat's. Boy, Schemmel's talking a mile a minute. I can see some people (especially casual fans) having a very hard time following all the subjects he's jumping to so rapidly.

I kinda hate myself for this, but I couldn't help but cringe at some of the things those fans were saying. ^_^;

It's very surreal to hear the dub music, the Kikuchi music, and "Zenkai Power" all given equal representation in those bonus features. Did anyone else catch that archival footage of the Japanese staff cleaning that cel? Anyone know where that's from?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:12 am

Well I finished watching all of season 2, I noticed several places of selective cropping. The moment when Goku tells Vegeta to eat the Senzu Bean is a good example. In the orange brick Goku's mouth is cropped off, and in this blu ray, they moved the frames up so we can see all of Goku's face.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:24 am

Codarik wrote:Well I finished watching all of season 2, I noticed several places of selective cropping. The moment when Goku tells Vegeta to eat the Senzu Bean is a good example. In the orange brick Goku's mouth is cropped off, and in this blu ray, they moved the frames up so we can see all of Goku's face.
Yeah, I'm really impressed with the amount of care FUNi put into its cropping this time around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM shows very nicely how this release isn't just an automated center cropping.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:37 am

LordCrumb wrote:Like it or not, Funimation and their dub brought Dragon Ball Z to bigger fan base than what it would have done should it have never been picked up by them.
It's all thanks to AB Groupe whether we like it or not because they were the ones who brought it to Europe/Canada (then FUNimation licensed off them) and made it a huge success but I still hate them for those script changes and calling Mr. Satan as Hеrcule.
sumpter360 wrote:Yeah, I'm really impressed with the amount of care FUNi put into its cropping this time around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM shows very nicely how this release isn't just an automated center cropping.
They care so much that Nail's mouth is almost cropped out of the picture this time around.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:52 am

I already have Dragon ball Z Season 2 on Blu Ray . 166 GiB

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:That and, really? You really think it's cool to diss someone for getting whatever they want signed by someone involved with it, no matter how much you dislike said person in question? Judgemental, much?

While I still don't really have an interest in these sets, I am pretty jealous of the extras we're finally starting to get. This kind of stuff is what should have been on the old DVD Season Sets from the get go, gah.
Agree so much. I do like Sabat, he comes across as very personable and forthright in interviews. Often these sorts of things try to paint company's in the best light, but Sabat flat out said they were green, didn't know what they were doing, and DBZ likely would've been popular regardless of what they did as long as they got it on the air. I wish we had gotten interviews like this since the days of the singles. Out of about 100 dvds, there are only a handful of them with quality extras.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:16 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Like it or not, Funimation and their dub brought Dragon Ball Z to bigger fan base than what it would have done should it have never been picked up by them.
It's all thanks to AB Groupe whether we like it or not because they were the ones who brought it to Europe/Canada (then FUNimation licensed off them) and made it a huge success but I still hate them for those script changes and calling Mr. Satan as Hеrcule.
Uhh, what?

Funimation licensed the series direct from Toei and were the first ones to introduce it to English speaking audiences around the world while using VA talent located in Vancouver, Canada.

Where the heck are you getting the notion that Funimation licensed off from AB Groupe?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm

ABED wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:That and, really? You really think it's cool to diss someone for getting whatever they want signed by someone involved with it, no matter how much you dislike said person in question? Judgemental, much?

Agree so much. I do like Sabat, he comes across as very personable and forthright in interviews. Often these sorts of things try to paint company's in the best light, but Sabat flat out said they were green, didn't know what they were doing, and DBZ likely would've been popular regardless of what they did as long as they got it on the air. I wish we had gotten interviews like this since the days of the singles. Out of about 100 dvds, there are only a handful of them with quality extras.
Especially such candid interviews as well, not just fluff marketing promos attached as "bonus features". I can't say that I know much about Sabat or Schemmel but I did love those two interviews with them, especially Sabat's. It's nice to know that he started working on DBZ while still in college and for what, like 11.20 an hour or something like that? It's just mind blowing to me how small scale and messy everything was at the start of Funimation's formation. And also it's great to see the mentorship position Sabat took on for many of the other voice actors that would come on to work on DBZ.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Gonstead wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Uhh, what?

Funimation licensed the series direct from Toei and were the first ones to introduce it to English speaking audiences around the world while using VA talent located in Vancouver, Canada.

Where the heck are you getting the notion that Funimation licensed off from AB Groupe?
I would like to know this as well. I know that the traditional narrative is Funimation licensed it off directly from Toei because of an individual who had a relative working for Toei in Japan. Where does AB Groupe supposedly spring up in all of this?
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 pm

I just ordered season 2 today haha :D made some stuff work! Now I just gotta wait on it to get here haha :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are some comparisons from the season 2 blu rays to what would have been the level sets. The level blu ray screen shots were taken from the remastering featurette found on the level blu rays. Your essentially seeing the difference between paying $40 for 34 episodes vs paying $17 for 35 episodes. Honestly they don't look as bad as I anticipated they would when compared to the level sets. They look decent for a release that's only costing you 49 cents per episode.
The season Blu-rays look a lot like pictures I used to make in GIMP where I'd really overdo the selective Gaussian blur and everything would look like an oil painting. I understand the cropping may be less intrusive, but I think these may legitimately be worse than the orange bricks.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I can't remember now where I read it but it's a fact that AB Groupe was the first company in the world outside Japan to have had Dragon Ball and everything dubbed in French (later on in other languages), plus where do you guys think the name Hеrcule came from?

In France Dragon Ball Z aired on 1990-12-24 (TF1) whereas in US what was it, 1997? I guess it was around that year.

Release dates, voice casts and more: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/encyc ... php?id=244
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Here are some comparisons from the season 2 blu rays to what would have been the level sets. The level blu ray screen shots were taken from the remastering featurette found on the level blu rays. Your essentially seeing the difference between paying $40 for 34 episodes vs paying $17 for 35 episodes. Honestly they don't look as bad as I anticipated they would when compared to the level sets. They look decent for a release that's only costing you 49 cents per episode.
The season Blu-rays look a lot like pictures I used to make in GIMP where I'd really overdo the selective Gaussian blur and everything would look like an oil painting. I understand the cropping may be less intrusive, but I think these may legitimately be worse than the orange bricks.
Nah I disagree. even though this is another cropped release, from what I've seen I think the quality of the footage looks much better than the orange bricks. I never noticed how blurry the orange bricks where until I started looking at people destroy them here. :P also with this release we don't have that shit where stuff starts deleting off the screen when shaking is going on or heck the intro isn't cut off so we can see the tops of the characters heads(Master Roshi) there was some spots where I thought it did look a little inky like? but even though this release isn't perfect and it couldn't keep up with the Dragon-boxes, I still think it's an overall better release than the OB's. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote: The season Blu-rays look a lot like pictures I used to make in GIMP where I'd really overdo the selective Gaussian blur and everything would look like an oil painting. I understand the cropping may be less intrusive, but I think these may legitimately be worse than the orange bricks.
I don't think they're worse then the orange bricks. The blu rays are cheaper and they also fixed a lot of the brightness issues the orange bricks had.
Orange bricks season 2
http://i.imgur.com/VrI57CV.png
Season 2 blu ray
http://i6.minus.com/ikhUObMuj69P8.png
It's like I said in a previous post if the person looking to buy these already owns the orange bricks it's not like they need to run out and buy these asap. However for someone that doesn't own the series their only two options are buying the orange bricks or the season blu rays. Now you could argue that there isn't a visual upgrade (in your opinion) but that fact of the matter is that the Season 2 blu rays are actually cheaper than their dvd counterparts. I don't think you or anybody else could legitimately justify paying $7.63 more for the orange bricks over the season 2 blu rays.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:01 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Nah I disagree. even though this is another cropped release, from what I've seen I think the quality of the footage looks much better than the orange bricks.
This release is low budget so there's no point arguing in its quality aspect, as you're getting the episodes for almost free (49 cents per episode)? that's really cheap. Level BDs were an expensive remasterisation for FUNimation but when we'd get to the Namek/Freeza arc episodes you could bet the picture quality wouldn't be all that good.

One day there'll be the definitive HD Dragon Ball Z release by Toei Animation and when it happens FUNimation will no longer be able to make more pointless Blu-ray re-releases any more.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 pm

The orange bricks ruined DBZ for me. How? Because now anytime I watch certain scenes(On other releases like Kai,these new Blu-ray releases, the Dragon-boxes etc) I always will remember how stuff was so badly deleted off the screen it just sticks with me for every release. I will always remember what the orange bricks did in that specific scene so anything is better than the orange bricks. I would rather just go back to VHS tapes of the series than ever watch them again. hopefully one day I'll forget about them but I doubt it.

Edit - I'm not arguing that their not a low budget release? I know they are! but from every comparison that I have seen of these sets vs the orange bricks, these sets win every time. Now if you was going to say that this release is a poor release compared to the level sets, Dragon-boxes, Then I'd agree 100% but I'm just saying that they are overall BETTER than the orange bricks. :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:23 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I can't remember now where I read it but it's a fact that AB Groupe was the first company in the world outside Japan to have had Dragon Ball and everything dubbed in French (later on in other languages), plus where do you guys think the name Hеrcule came from?

In France Dragon Ball Z aired on 1990-12-24 (TF1) whereas in US what was it, 1997? I guess it was around that year.

Release dates, voice casts and more: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/encyc ... php?id=244
I'm not talking about when and what AB Groupe was responsible for. I'm talking about you saying that Funimation licensed off AB Groupe, which is a blatant lie.
dbboxkaifan wrote:It's all thanks to AB Groupe whether we like it or not because they were the ones who brought it to Europe/Canada (then FUNimation licensed off them) and made it a huge success
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Gonstead wrote:I'm not talking about when and what AB Groupe was responsible for. I'm talking about you saying that Funimation licensed off AB Groupe, which is a blatant lie.
I read somewhere that FUNimation licenced Dragon Ball from AB Groupe but the damn internet's too large to find the source for that now so it's not a lie if I could find it again.

And why are you so offended by it? FUNimation trashed Dragon Ball just as much as AB Groupe did back then.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I read somewhere that FUNimation licenced Dragon Ball from AB Groupe but the damn internet's too large to find the source for that now so it's not a lie if I could find it again.
No offense, but even if you find it, that doesn't necessarily make it true still. I read a lot about how Vegeta and Turles were both more brothers of Goku's, but that sure didn't pan out.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)