Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 pm

I get the feeling that final flash is about to get hit by the deadliest attack on Kanzenshuu.

Big Ban Hammer Attack!

Then again this is what happens when a likely member of the youtube fanbase joins this site.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 pm

There's no need to comment on other folks' account issues. Furthermore, there's zero reason for you to disparage other communities of fans.

If folks are not willing to keep the conversation on-topic, again: we're not willing to have you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 pm

DragonBall Z on Blu-ray! ...again! Wait, it's not the same footage as what's used on the Level sets? Well, at least they kept it in fullscreen... what?! 16:9, are you serious? We're back to cropped shit? AND they look like upscaled orange bricks? FFFFFFFU-

There, discussion brought back on topic.

(*absconds to the darkness, until needed again... !*)

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Kendamu wrote:Everyone, has the cleaned up Japanese audio made it in any way worth it for you to spend the $25 on this? It's actually what got me to try out a release I was otherwise happy to skip. I think I got my money's worth based on that alone even if I do ultimately find this release to be far inferior to what FUNimation is capable of producing. While I may not buy the rest of the releases (or I might... Who knows?), I'm glad to have at least tried this one out based on the audio being improved somewhat compared to everything that came before it.
I'm going to quote this in hopes of it being answered because I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I'm still more likely to collect Kai on Blu-ray rather than these new sets, though.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:54 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:DragonBall Z on Blu-ray! ...again! Wait, it's not the same footage as what's used on the Level sets? Well, at least they kept it in fullscreen... what?! 16:9, are you serious? We're back to cropped shit? AND they look like upscaled orange bricks? FFFFFFFU-

There, discussion brought back on topic.

(*absconds to the darkness, until needed again... !*)

~Da Lemmy
Love this post.

Folks, the Z Dragon Box was the bone FUNi thew us "hardcore" fans.

The reasoning behind releasing an epic product like the Level Sets when they did baffles me. It was the next best thing and they blew it. If they released it now in place of this cropped mess it would do much better. Casual and hardcore fans alike would eat it up. Meh... we lucky we got what we did when we did. I guess there's still hope for a definitive HD 4:3 release one day. Blu-ray is awesome, Toei save us please.
Kaboom wrote: I'm still more likely to collect Kai on Blu-ray rather than these new sets, though.
As am I.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:13 am

I'm actually baffled to as for what reason FUNi has been re-releasing DBZ back to back as often as they have been. I mean, Just after the Dragonbox Z the Level sets came in. I... don't... get... it!

The clean-up for the level sets should have been done prior to releasing it and maybe the fans could have gotten a neat surprise a few years down the line with a beautifully preserved footage of DBZ on Blu-Ray. But I know why that didn't happen for we know the levels could have bombed and the money spent on cleaning up the footage would be wasted or Toei comes out with a restored DBZ on Blu-Ray thus again, making FUNi's time and money wasted.

So, I guess we are stuck with this.... thing.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 am

Kendamu wrote:Everyone, has the cleaned up Japanese audio made it in any way worth it for you to spend the $25 on this? It's actually what got me to try out a release I was otherwise happy to skip. I think I got my money's worth based on that alone even if I do ultimately find this release to be far inferior to what FUNimation is capable of producing. While I may not buy the rest of the releases (or I might... Who knows?), I'm glad to have at least tried this one out based on the audio being improved somewhat compared to everything that came before it.
While I definitely think that the Japanese audio on this new release is an improvement, I don't think that the improved audio alone is enough to warrant a purchase. Here is a comparison of the video and audio between the season 1 blu ray and the dragon boxes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzM9CHWDfo.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:26 am

qjz123 wrote:
While I definitely think that the Japanese audio on this new release is an improvement, I don't think that the improved audio alone is enough to warrant a purchase. Here is a comparison of the video and audio between the season 1 blu ray and the dragon boxes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzM9CHWDfo.
That is actually the exact comparison that convinced me to give these a shot! I probably watched it a good five or six times!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 am

Thing is, to me it's not a big deal. It's just some EQ work and noise reduction, so there's no added "clarity" to it. In all honesty, rather than the original's muffled sound, this just sounds tinny to me. Some of the higher pitched sounds are a bit piercing to my ears.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:34 am

Kendamu wrote: That is actually the exact comparison that convinced me to give these a shot! I probably watched it a good five or six times!
I uploaded the audio of episode 32 from the blu ray season sets to youtube. It'll be available in 1080p when it's done processing. http://youtu.be/19H9bVwbem8
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:05 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Season 2 is coming out on February 18 and season 3 is coming out on April 1 so it seems like Funimation is releasing a new set every month and a half. At this rate all nine seasons should be out by late January/early February. Assuming Funimation doesn't take a break between any of the releases. If I had to guess I would say that Funimation will take a break between the release of season 3 and season 4.
April 1st? I can see them come out with a statement along the lines of "APRIL FOOLS! Did you guys really think we were actually going to complete another release?" All jokes aside, what suggests they'll be taking a break?
I belive I read somewhere that they were in the process of remastering S4 + (this was before the release of S1) and the fact we also only got cover art for S1-3 also helps further suggest it. I'd actually welcome the break help me save up more money. :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 am

Whoa this is now getting a crazy ton of 5 star reviews on Amazon, these DBZ Season BDs aren't worth of 5 stars (perfect) but not are they terrible (1*) it should be rated between 3* to 4* at tops.

It's sort of strange that my comment which said like the Level BDs were the best looking DBZ release we still have and then it got a heavy amount of dislikes on Amazon as if it's a lie.

Jeez I really wish that shit would settle down because it's a god damn mess they have over there. :?

By the way, someone used the overscanned the Season BDs to make the Season DVDs look better, er.. just stick to what you like. Amazon's fanbase can even be worse than YouTube's DB community. Damn.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:46 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Whoa this is now getting a crazy ton of 5 star reviews on Amazon, these DBZ Season BDs aren't worth of 5 stars (perfect) but not are they terrible (1*) it should be rated between 3* to 4* at tops.

It's sort of strange that my comment which said like the Level BDs were the best looking DBZ release we still have and then it got a heavy amount of dislikes on Amazon as if it's a lie.

Jeez I really wish that shit would settle down because it's a god damn mess they have over there. :?

By the way, someone used the overscanned the Season BDs to make the Season DVDs look better, er.. just stick to what you like. Amazon's fanbase can even be worse than YouTube's DB community. Damn.
The level sets aren't the best because they're 4:3. Dummy. ALL REAL FANS KNOW THAT, WHY DONT YOU UGH
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:50 am

TheAldella wrote:The level sets aren't the best because they're 4:3. Dummy. ALL REAL FANS KNOW THAT, WHY DONT YOU UGH
Regardless of whether or not this is supposed to be a funny (zero context) or serious (totally inappropriate) post, it's not something that needs to be made.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TheAldella wrote:The level sets aren't the best because they're 4:3. Dummy. ALL REAL FANS KNOW THAT, WHY DONT YOU UGH
Regardless of whether or not this is supposed to be a funny (zero context) or serious (totally inappropriate) post, it's not something that needs to be made.
Alrighty. It just seemed like he wasn't understanding why people were disliking his comment.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:21 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: By the way, someone used the overscanned the Season BDs to make the Season DVDs look better, er.. just stick to what you like. Amazon's fanbase can even be worse than YouTube's DB community. Damn.
They didn't use the overscanned season blu ray ending. The ending on the season blu rays actually is more cropped. http://imageshack.com/a/img853/7855/4mhc.png I have no idea why Funimation did it. Did they think "hey no one watches the ending lets crop off 40% of the image so we don't have to remaster it". The text under the image on amazon is misleading. It says "There seems to be more cropping with the blu-ray sets" it doesn't mention that excessive cropping is only an issue with the ending, the actual episodes actually show more of the image than the orange bricks.
Kendamu wrote:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Yup, the ending in the Blu-Rays is pretty much ruined.
In the shot where Gohan is on top of Ox-King, Chichi and Goku, while they're in the car, it's so zoomed in that you can't even see Gohan, even though he's supposed to be the "star" of the ending.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Here's a comparison with the level sets the difference is mind boggling. :crazy:
Level sets
http://imageshack.com/a/img850/9202/33gv.png
Season blu ray
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/7855/4mhc.png
Kendamu wrote:

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 pm

:o
Why on earth did they crop/zoom in so freaking much for the ED? Makes no sense what so ever, and that level shot just makes me wanna cry :cry:
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm curious why is the ending zoomed-in so much. Judging by even the orange brick shot, it doesn't appear that the film is damaged beyond repair. So... why? Was this an error? If so, how come no-one noticed it? Or if it was on purpose, what was the reasoning behind this?

It actually looks like somebody took the orange brick master, cropped it to 4:3, and then cropped it to 16:9 again :lol: