Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 pm

kei17 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Yet they never brought over the Dragon Boxes and anime is extremely overpriced, $60 for 13 Episodes of One Piece? Thank You Amazon.
And in Japan, we have to spend about $160 for 12 episodes of Kai.
Wow, I thought it was because they were imported I had to shell out that much. Doesn't that cause reverse-importation? I did spot the Orange Bricks on Amazon.co.jp.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Season 1 is now back to $24.99 on Amazon.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to learn how to remove DRM from WMV videos from Xbox so that I can buy those remaining 5 episodes (1080/4x3) and then add Japanese audio w/Eng subs to them.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:39 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Anyway, I'm gonna try to learn how to remove DRM from WMV videos from Xbox so that I can buy those remaining 5 episodes (1080/4x3) and then add Japanese audio w/Eng subs to them.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea; an entire arc in a great format is better than nothing.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I agree, these new sets were pretty much out the blue. And once they finish releasing nall 9 seasons that's surely it? Unless they're thinking of milking the 4:3 fanbase... Who knows. But they'll find a way, they always do.
I'm really surprised they haven't released more Dragon Boxes... either the movies Box, the GT Box or the DB Box.

But I'm with you - after they release all of these new Blue Sets, what will come next? Apparently, they have to always have a new DBZ product on the horizon. Maybe they are holding out for Toei to do a 4x3 remaster in HD (hopefully for corrected color for our sakes). That would be the best option for most of the fans that are disappointed by the new sets.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:05 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I agree, these new sets were pretty much out the blue. And once they finish releasing nall 9 seasons that's surely it? Unless they're thinking of milking the 4:3 fanbase... Who knows. But they'll find a way, they always do.
I'm really surprised they haven't released more Dragon Boxes... either the movies Box, the GT Box or the DB Box.

But I'm with you - after they release all of these new Blue Sets, what will come next? Apparently, they have to always have a new DBZ product on the horizon. Maybe they are holding out for Toei to do a 4x3 remaster in HD (hopefully for corrected color for our sakes). That would be the best option for most of the fans that are disappointed by the new sets.
Yeah, Sort of like what they did with dragon boxes. And after that "toei remaster" they'll do DBZ in Blu-Ray 3D then cancel it after two releases. Then a few years later reattempt it and all this happens again. And keeps happening for centuries to come haha!!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah, Sort of like what they did with dragon boxes. And after that "toei remaster" they'll do DBZ in Blu-ray 3D then cancel it after two releases. Then a few years later reattempt it and all this happens again. And keeps happening for centuries to come haha!!
If FUNimation's smart then they'll realise that the market for 3D Blu-rays is more or less dead and 4k HD hasn't even started nor will many people have due to the super expensive prices it'll have.

A 4K TV only costs £4,950.00 for whoever's willing to pay. :P

http://www.rlrdistribution.co.uk/viewpr ... s3asbS__V4
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm

A 4K release of dbz would be amazing except you would have to expect to pay a lot per episode. 16mm grainy film at that resolution is going to take A LOT of space if you want to have decent quality without macroblocking.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Excuse my ignorance but I'm a poor boy :P What the crap is a 4K TV????????? :P :lol: and what's the benefit of having one? Can I have a 1 on 1 conversation with Goku? :P
Last edited by samuraix123 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but I'm a poor boy :P What the crap is a 4K TV????????? :P :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_UHDTV :wink:
-Joey

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:29 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but I'm a poor boy :P What the crap is a 4K TV????????? :P :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_UHDTV :wink:
Ultra High Def huh? :P I'm getting old lol This is honestly the truth....I use to go through Walmart looking at like 60inch HD TVs and thinking ''Yeah Dragonball would look good on that B*itch'' Hahahahahaha So I can't even imagine seeing these things. LOL :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:43 pm

To be honest 1080p HD is more than enough for me so that's as far as high-def I'll personally go, I don't see myself buying one of these 4K TVs either now, in the future or ever. It's too much and I'd rather focus on the past and present.

The Season BDs look good for modernising Dragon Ball Z but the Level BDs are where it's at its best.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:A 4K release of dbz would be amazing except you would have to expect to pay a lot per episode. 16mm grainy film at that resolution is going to take A LOT of space if you want to have decent quality without macroblocking.
Eh, not an unusually high amount, especially since with 4k we will see a movement to HEVC for compression.

And 4k TVs will hit pseudo normal prices by the time the new TVs launch this summer. Vizio is the top TV brand in the USA and they will have a relatively good quality 50 inch 4k TV for $1000.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:A 4K release of dbz would be amazing except you would have to expect to pay a lot per episode. 16mm grainy film at that resolution is going to take A LOT of space if you want to have decent quality without macroblocking.
Don't forget about adding the size of 22.2 sourround sound audio track :lol:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Will Dragonball be remastered to fit these ultra HD TVs? lol I remember VegettoEX's photo of Gohan is what comes to mind LOL
#1 Paikuhan fan!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm

I just witnessed first hand why Funimation choose this remastering process for this release instead of continuing the level sets. My little brother saw the new season blu rays for the first time today. When I showed him the level sets for comparison he absolutely hated them. For the life of me I couldn't get him to understand why the level sets were the superior release. He was adamant about the fact that he hated the grain and he couldn't understand why it was there even after I tried explaining to him that Dbz was made on 16mm film and grain is part of the image. He saw the grain as video noise and thought that it made the image look really blurry. He then went on to say and I quote "The new blu rays look a lot clearer and the colors look more vivid". I thought I was being trolled it was as if he had taken the words right out of Funimation's mouth. Now my little brother isn't a huge Dbz fan and he could care less about Funimation's re releases. He hasn't watched any ads for the new sets either. This was his genuine unbiased opinion. Just when I thought he was finished and it couldn't get any worse he threw in a "why do the level sets have black bars on the left and right sides of the image"? My little brother is 16 by the way.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:21 pm

It's just funny how Dragon Ball Z is one of the only anime with releases geared towards the uninformed.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:It's just funny how Dragon Ball Z is one of the only anime with releases geared towards the uninformed.
I hope this isn't directed towards me :P I don't keep up with the newest thing. :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:It's just funny how Dragon Ball Z is one of the only anime with releases geared towards the uninformed.
This sort of misses the point that many people are informed, they just don't care.

I mean, look at how many fans complain about the way Disney remasters their stuff, and most people just plain don't care.

And 'funny' isn't really the right word... it happens because the show is marketable past the very limited number of anime fans there are.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 pm

2009 will soon repeat itself all over again just with Blu Rays I honestly believe that funimation will be able to get through this release without cancelling it. In 2015 They will announce the Dragon Boxes on Blu Ray and all Fans who bought this will be in an uproar as it is announced not only is it in 4:3 not only is it on Blu Ray not ony does it contain the Dragon Box Master but with the added disc space of blu ray they are able to add the falconer score with affecting the picture quality. Toei Animation will have also fixed the issues of the increased red levels making this the one definitive end all be all of DBZ and yes it will be a limited run like the DVD's. And in Edition their will be an additional Track that contains the original funimation Toonami Dub with Dale Kelly as Ginyu oh how i can see the fireworks fly right now lol.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Just for the record, I think 1080p Blu-Ray is as high-definition as DBZ needs to be. The show was just never meant to be viewed at such high resolutions. Any higher resolution wouldn't really help it IMO. It would be even more blurry and soft-looking, since the show is animated on 16mm for the vast majority of it.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.