Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 pm

I hope Funimation doesn't cancel this new release because I just gave all the Orange Bricks to my brother! :P My collection looks a little empty without them :lol: But those Dragon-boxes make up for it. 8) No seriously, I'm gonna start buying these when they get to around Freeza or Cell Saga.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I'd like to see comparison shots with the saga sets for those shots actually.
Saga - Top
Blue Brick - Middle
Dragon Box - Bottom

As seen the Saga sets have more picture than the Blue Bricks and the colours were tweaked to the likes of the current Blue Bricks which is one of the things I like about it.

I downscaled the images because the original resolution was pixelated: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=17949
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 pm

The Dragon Box shots look great as always, but the Blue Bricks look nice as well. IMO, the slight zooming in is just to avoid the edge of the frame where there may be some film damage, and it doesn't ruin the intended framing of shots the way the cropped DBZ Orange Bricks/Blu-Ray Seasons have been prone to do.

Still a perfectly quality release.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

The blue bricks look best IMO.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Honestly, I'd take the slight zoom over the dull and distorted colours.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not sure about how zoomed in the Green Bricks are in comparison to the FUNi Singles / Dragonbox GT.
From the 4th post

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=10385

They look almost the same as the gt dragon box
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:36 pm

While that's true the Green Bricks look blurry whereas the GT Singles & Dragonbox are grainy and sharp looking.

Somehow FUNimation always messes up something to be inferior.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:39 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:While that's true the Green Bricks look blurry whereas the GT Singles & Dragonbox are grainy and sharp looking.

Somehow FUNimation always messes up something to be inferior.
Being a little blurry or zoomed in is a lot better then being cropped

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:40 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I hope Funimation doesn't cancel this new release because I just gave all the Orange Bricks to my brother! :P My collection looks a little empty without them :lol: But those Dragon-boxes make up for it. 8) No seriously, I'm gonna start buying these when they get to around Freeza or Cell Saga.
I think they'll complete these, they ain't got nothing to lose, right?
Also, Freeza is being released on AF day and I'd except the Garlic/Trunks saga to be out mid-June.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm

sintzu wrote:Being a little blurry or zoomed in is a lot better then being cropped
But a release being "zoomed in" is just another word for it being "cropped". They mean the same thing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
sintzu wrote:Being a little blurry or zoomed in is a lot better then being cropped
But a release being "zoomed in" is just another word for it being "cropped". They mean the same thing.

True but it's not as bad as what they did to z

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm not saying it is. I wholeheartedly agree with you. What they did to DBZ was terrible. I just find it somewhat humorous that so many people seem to use a different term for the same thing just with a different application. It seems that "cropping" has adopted a very negative connotation, but saying something is "zoomed in" apparently sounds much more positive and upbeat. :lol:
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:05 pm

sintzu wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:

True but it's not as bad as what they did to z
That is true for both the Orange bricks and the new blu rays although, there is an undeniable quality increase and in SOME cases better care taken to the cropping, what sold me was the missing lines problem the orange bricks had the seems to be taken care of with the Blu Rays. For example when Nappa is charging up and everything is shaking. Orange bricks had black outlines just disappearing while the new blu's keep them in tact.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Season 3 by April? Shit, these Blu-Ray releases are spanning a lot faster than the Orange Bricks aren't they.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

darkknightkryta

Post by darkknightkryta » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:36 pm

EA575 wrote:If anyone wants to watch DBZ 4:3 legally, you guys can check out the site Daisuki here. I'm not good at noticing the differences between all of the remasters unless compared side by side, but so far this one seems good. The player automatically upscales to 720p when there's a good connection. They add a new episode every week, too.
That's the level sets :shock:. I wonder what they're going to do for episode 40+

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:40 pm

darkknightkryta wrote:
EA575 wrote:If anyone wants to watch DBZ 4:3 legally, you guys can check out the site Daisuki here. I'm not good at noticing the differences between all of the remasters unless compared side by side, but so far this one seems good. The player automatically upscales to 720p when there's a good connection. They add a new episode every week, too.
That's the level sets :shock:. I wonder what they're going to do for episode 40+
The Vegeta vs Goku episode is the Dragonbox so it seems like they have switched over from using the levels to the DBOX Z.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

darkknightkryta

Post by darkknightkryta » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:00 pm

qjz123 wrote:
darkknightkryta wrote: Edit: With people talking about the scans, I suspect they made a new scan. They're at least, not working with the work done to the Level sets. Though they made a new scan of the opening and I'm not sure where they got the footage for it (The Level set most likely used the movie scans for those, plus the of higher quality so it's most likely 35mm film).
I've posted about this previously I still think they're using Steve Franco's color corrected film scan the same one used for the level sets they're just filtering the hell out of it.
Raw film scan cropped to 16:9
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/4544/fnhh.png
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7311/e4z1.png
and here it is uncropped
http://imageshack.us/a/img51/9107/2c0h.png
@qjz
It's the top 5 for "anime" which has become very niche. It being top 5 on Amazon also doesn't mean much(Especially considering Amazon's sales don't account for a great deal compared to retail).
Again what are you basing this on? I can't remember the last time I bought anime from a retail store, and regardless of whether or not anime has become very niche thing it doesn't change the fact that Dragon ball z is a 25 year old anime that is out selling almost all of the newer anime on amazon.
Basing what on what? That Amazon sales don't account for much? Mostly game sales. Amazon's a small amount of the total pie and I'm applying that to it. Plus anime in general has become niche, why do you think Bandai and Viz backed out? Viz essentially backing out, they havn't released anything new in a while. 4kids went bankrupt because they couldn't profit off of anime anymore. The bigger issue is that the entire home media system has changed since when Funimation was releasing Dragon Ball on DVDs. Streaming media is slowly eating away at home releases. I don't think any store is going to stock this product in great numbers when nothing gets stocked in great number anymore. So the extra sales Funimation is expecting is most likely not there. Now, I'm just saying my piece, I can be totally wrong, I'm just going by what I see in stores (The ever shrinking footage of DVDs/Blurays). Though to add, Futureshop, Walmart, Toys R Us, Best Buy have all gotten rid of anime from their stores. Kai isn't even in stock anymore.

For the film, it isn't colour corrected as I've mentioned. Look at Goku in episode 30/31. He's not that pink in the level sets, plus the other issues I've mentioned with still scenes. Though it's possible Funimation is working with the newer scans. I also noticed they re-scanned the intro at least since the erin symbol from the movies is missing (It was there in the levels). I'm also a bit more curious as to what work Franko's team did. Did they do the 4:3 cropping of the frame and then did the colour correction? Or did they colour correct and then do the crop? That will actually answer the question here.

For Raditz hair part. Thanks to those who posted those lovely cells. I noticed the blue tint and I mentioned that. But there's some scenes in Kai that makes it a very bright blue. My computer with the blu-ray player is currently behind a bunch of basement junk and I can't really get to it. I'll take a screen shot whenever I free up the room to say what I'm talking about.

quote="Attitudefan"]
darkknightkryta wrote:
The Vegeta vs Goku episode is the Dragonbox so it seems like they have switched over from using the levels to the DBOX Z.[/quote]

Yeah, it also looks like the colour cast is gone.
Last edited by darkknightkryta on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
darkknightkryta wrote:
The Vegeta vs Goku episode is the Dragonbox so it seems like they have switched over from using the levels to the DBOX Z.
So it IS the level sets, nice :D I knew it looked familiar. I haven't checked the Vegeta vs. Goku fight yet but do they upscale the resolution in those?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 pm

It's funny how funimation has all kinds of anime yet the most popular one they have still dosen't have a decent release

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:32 pm

sintzu wrote:It's funny how funimation has all kinds of anime yet the most popular one they have still dosen't have a decent release
Well we've got the VHS and DVD singles....which are practically non-existent nowadays.
But we've also got the Ultimate Uncut Sets and those were decent....which never completed it's run after episode 27.
Oh but then we got the the completed Orange Bricks that are still in stock....which are inconsistently riddled with flaws like cropping.
Don't worry though, FUNimation manages to rerelease DBZ again for the better by giving us the Dragon Boxes....which are out of stock and cost ab arm and a leg for at this day in age for the entire thing.
LEVEL BLU-RAY SETS....cancelled....
...and now we're pretty much left with the only two releases that have the most flaws, and in stock, the Season DVDs and the Season Blu-Rays, so yeah, there you have it.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.