Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Kaboom wrote:It's a bit funny to think that Kai did a lot more for DBZ in English-speaking territories more than in its country of origin.

It spurred some good VA replacements that actually needed to happen, instead of being disappointing or just "guest star" publicity stunts. It allowed for a new and accurate dub where the voice actors were enthusiastic to finally do things right, as opposed to the waning performances of some of the Japanese cast who have been saying the "right" lines for decades. And in doing all of this, it brought in droves of new fans who have and will continue to experience "DBZ" for the first time in a way that actually does it justice.
And yet a near overwhelmingly large part of the fanbase demonizes it for those exact same reasons.

"No old Gohan and Freeza voice?! No Faulconer soundtrack?! Dragonball Z Kai is the devil!"

Stupidity. Pure and simple. Nostalgia Goggles have become Nostalgia Full Body Armor.
A lot of the youtube dbz fan base are all nostalgia tards who in my opinion are not real dbz fans.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Jaruka wrote:I have Season 1 sitting next to me, ready to open and I'm not sure if I should or return it. This is, of course, due to the generally negative attitude of many of the people on this forum.

Still, the only other Dragon Ball Z box set I own is Kai (also Blu ray) and it's really a toss-up. You guys seem to think this looks somewhat worse than Kai but at the same time due to this being my only collection I would like it to be complete end-to-end, filler filled Dragon Ball Z.

Is it really that bad?
Bro if you have Kai then return it because the original funimation dub is not as good as Kais dubbing and plus they cropped the new blu rays into 16:9 so you are losing footage.
Last edited by JEFFMAN219 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Jaruka wrote:I have Season 1 sitting next to me, ready to open and I'm not sure if I should or return it. This is, of course, due to the generally negative attitude of many of the people on this forum.

Still, the only other Dragon Ball Z box set I own is Kai (also Blu ray) and it's really a toss-up. You guys seem to think this looks somewhat worse than Kai but at the same time due to this being my only collection I would like it to be complete end-to-end, filler filled Dragon Ball Z.

Is it really that bad?
It seems like you really have to see it for yourself to make an individualized decision. Sure, you can look at screenshots, and the negative aspects (they certainly are there.) but some see them as too much to look past. Others, myself included, understand the downsides, but aren't really bothered by them. To me, the biggest offenses (if you can get past the 16:9 cropping) are the super zoomed ending theme (which I don't usually watch anyway) and the crushed blacks, which can occasionally take some detail away...

But if I were you, I'd open 'er on up and decide for yourself!
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Is it really that bad?
If you're a fan of the english dub then you should stick with Kai, Kai's dub is much more faithful than Funimation's original DBZ dub. However if you're a fan of the Japanese version this release does offer improved Japanese audio quality. Now as far as the video is concerned it definitely looks worse than Kai imo. So I would say that if you want to watch the show in Japanese go ahead and open the release and check it out for your self, if your interested in watching the english dub return it and just stick with Kai. The Buu saga of Kai should be coming out later this year!
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:20 pm

sumpter360 wrote: It seems like you really have to see it for yourself to make an individualized decision. Sure, you can look at screenshots, and the negative aspects (they certainly are there.) but some see them as too much to look past. Others, myself included, understand the downsides, but aren't really bothered by them. To me, the biggest offenses (if you can get past the 16:9 cropping) are the super zoomed ending theme (which I don't usually watch anyway) and the crushed blacks, which can occasionally take some detail away...

But if I were you, I'd open 'er on up and decide for yourself!
Yeah, thanks, the main thing getting me is that Kai ends at Cell and I would sort of miss the silly filler episodes and the extra Sagas. I live in the UK anyway so the decision is basically this, Kai or the Orange Bricks :lol:
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Bro if you have Kai then return it because the original funimation is not as good as Kais dubbing and plus they cropped the new blu rays into 16:9 so you are losing footage.
Very true, this is my main reason for wanting Kai instead, the footage also looks glorious in Blu Ray.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Geez, I'd say if you're a fan of the Japanese version, avoid these like the plague. From what I've read, the audio improvement is a simple filter job and nothing terribly substantial. Certainly not enough to compensate for the plethora of video problems. Also, if you're a Japanese fan, you might be put off by the dub title cards and credits. I know I am.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:00 am

kei17 wrote:
sangofe wrote:You really think they'd do DB, then GT and then Z? That sounds strange as Z was the clearest popular portion of the series, plus they started with that for the Dragonboxes. And in five years... Do you think that means they'd go directly to 4K?
Yeah, Z is the most popular portion, but my guess is that they don't want to saturate the market. With Kai, there's little point in releasing the "Z" era in HD again, especially when even new volumes of Kai are going to be released. The original DB or GT would be fresher and an upgrade in audio can be a major sales point when it comes to GT.
You think Toei would take your original records and replace the audio?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 am

sangofe wrote:
kei17 wrote:Yeah, Z is the most popular portion, but my guess is that they don't want to saturate the market. With Kai, there's little point in releasing the "Z" era in HD again, especially when even new volumes of Kai are going to be released. The original DB or GT would be fresher and an upgrade in audio can be a major sales point when it comes to GT.
I said "when it comes to GT" because Toei still have the original stereo audio of GT. As for the original DB, I doubt that they'll use VHS recordings.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 am

kei17 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
kei17 wrote:Yeah, Z is the most popular portion, but my guess is that they don't want to saturate the market. With Kai, there's little point in releasing the "Z" era in HD again, especially when even new volumes of Kai are going to be released. The original DB or GT would be fresher and an upgrade in audio can be a major sales point when it comes to GT.
I said "when it comes to GT" because Toei still have the original stereo audio of GT. As for the original DB, I doubt that they'll use VHS recordings.
Cool about GT, but really a shame about DB... I sure hope either Toei or FUNimation will end up using your audio source...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

If they still have the GT stereo audio, why didn't they use it in the DBoxes?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 am

We don't know, but we do know they have it because it's used on current reruns.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:15 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:If they still have the GT stereo audio, why didn't they use it in the DBoxes?
I don't know. Maybe they accidentally forgot what they had or the people involved with the product were all terribly ignorant. They even bothered to pay meaningless money for "remastering" the awfully muffled mono audio on film. It seems that they finally noticed it recently and started providing TV stations with the raw DBox transfers synced with the original audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-dIt67SmI

The GT DBox was such a rip-off product. Even a cheap Taiwanese DVD release has a better Japanese audio track.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm

I wish amazon would hurry up and ship my Blu-ray! I ordered it from the user Amazon.com LLC and it still says ''Preparing for shipment'' even though I'm not going to watch the entire thing. :P I just want to watch Goku vs Vegeta haha I've heard mixed reviews from everyone and now I get to see it for myself. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm on the third disc now and its okay. Its not the best and its not the worst. Would love to have picked up the dragon boxes, these will do for now.

DBZfan5

Post by DBZfan5 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 pm

kei17 wrote:It seems that they finally noticed it recently and started providing TV stations with the raw DBox transfers synced with the original audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-dIt67SmI
That audio clip is great! Not to derail the thread but that was actually a major selling point for me with DBKai, the audio was a real treat to listen to. Regardless of some of the performances, it was just great to finally hear such a crystal clear Japanese audio track.

Back on topic though, I've noticed that the blu ray sets made it into both FYE and Best Buy. It's been a while since I've seen anything DB related on blu ray at either of these places, so it's kind of a bittersweet feeling because, if nothing else, at least these places are still willing to stock merchandise for the franchise. It doesn't appear to be at Target (yet) and I haven't checked Wal-mart. Only time will tell if such wide availability lasts though.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 pm

DBZfan5 wrote:
kei17 wrote:It seems that they finally noticed it recently and started providing TV stations with the raw DBox transfers synced with the original audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-dIt67SmI
That audio clip is great! Not to derail the thread but that was actually a major selling point for me with DBKai, the audio was a real treat to listen to. Regardless of some of the performances, it was just great to finally hear such a crystal clear Japanese audio track.

Back on topic though, I've noticed that the blu ray sets made it into both FYE and Best Buy. It's been a while since I've seen anything DB related on blu ray at either of these places, so it's kind of a bittersweet feeling because, if nothing else, at least these places are still willing to stock merchandise for the franchise. It doesn't appear to be at Target (yet) and I haven't checked Wal-mart. Only time will tell if such wide availability lasts though.
I haven't got a clue what's up with Walmart.com. They still don't have this up to buy on their site. This is the only time I ever remember them not carrying something Dragonball related. Heck, they even got the Dragon-boxes so I dunno. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Just a small update! Walmart is carrying Season 2 of the new Blu-ray for $16.96! I think that has to be a mistake? :P They still don't have season 1 up yet.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/34443615

Edit - They just added part 3 for pre-order as well for $16.96! http://www.walmart.com/ip/34443621
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 pm

The price sounds awfully cheap, but them carrying season 2 but not season 1 is plausible enough. They've bounced around often enough on which seasons of the Digimon releases they carry at any given point in time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Seriously, they're only $17?

Call me a sellout, but I might just get these. As much as I disliked the first one, I kinda want 2&3 to complete the cover art at least. I'm not completely opposed to the widescreen, but if they fix the filtering artifacts, I think it would be worthwhile to collect the series at this price.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Season 1 dropped to $17.99 on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-r ... 59127011_3

With these prices it's kind of hard for people to miss out on this considering how cheap they are.

Hopefully the Season BDs will make customers move to Blu-ray for good and show a sign of FUNimation to discontinue the Season DVDs but I wouldn't bet on that.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray