Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 am

Puto wrote:do you know of any instance of Toei sending out footage to anybody at all for the original DB after the year 2000 but before the DBox? That would help clear up some of this.
Sorry, but I'm not aware of that kind of cases because most contries import masters from other foreign licensees, not directly from Toei.
eledoremassis02 wrote:Oddly on the madman Saga of Goku DVD I found this. It's a split second after the eye catch in either epsiode 1 or 2.

Does the blue bricks do this too? Could be film, or on a tape (if the source film was cut wrong). Any ideas? Kinda off topic but it's cool
*snip*

On a side note, these epsiodes do seem to be a bit better quality than the rest
That's one of blank frames inserted before each part.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:17 pm

kei17 wrote: That's one of blank frames inserted before each part.
This comes right after that, thats how I noticed because I saw the light on the bottom left.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 am

MarcFBR wrote:Welcome to the anime industry. A company getting a license to something doesn't mean it will ever come out, or that they will ever see the masters.
If this was a normal situation I would probably agree with you Marc however given the nature of the DBOX material and FUNimation, I seriously doubt FUNi would go to such lenghts and spend so much money on something that they have no intention of using at all (not to mention the fact the DBOX masters probably cost FUNi a good amount of money to acquire to begin with, so from a business perspective it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend that much money like that and not try to recoup what you paid for your acquisition).
MarcFBR wrote:Or even that they've licensed it. Occasionally there are miscommunications.
If there was a miscommunication (which I doubt there was in this case but it is possible), then FUNi should have done the right thing and immediately clarified such a miscomunication to avoid confusion, transparency and honesty goes a long way when it comes to business.
MarcFBR wrote:The fact something was announced just says it was announced. Nothing more.
That's true it was only announced that they had the masters, however judging by this quote from their own DBOX announcement press release "The Dragon Box will be produced from the original Dragon Box masters after a frame by frame restoration and will span the entire 291 episode television series and all 13 of its movies" it's pretty clear to me that they did intend to release them.
MarcFBR wrote:And even if they did actually get them, it doesn't mean they changed their mind on it being viable to actually release them from a business perspective.
Considering how popular the DBZ movies are, it makes even less sense for them not to release the DBZ Movies DBOX at all, unfortunately at this point FUNimation would be wasting their time in releasing the movies DBOX as the DVD market is pretty much a dying market.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 am

Can anyone who owns Season 9 confirm whether or not Super Buu has the filter back on his voice?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:52 am

90sDBZ wrote:Can anyone who owns Season 9 confirm whether or not Super Buu has the filter back on his voice?
No. It's the same as the orange bricks.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 pm

superrayman3 wrote:If this was a normal situation I would probably agree with you Marc however given the nature of the DBOX material and FUNimation, I seriously doubt FUNi would go to such lenghts and spend so much money on something that they have no intention of using at all (not to mention the fact the DBOX masters probably cost FUNi a good amount of money to acquire to begin with, so from a business perspective it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend that much money like that and not try to recoup what you paid for your acquisition).
Which misses the point that we don't KNOW what they did, or what they cost, or anything. We don't even know if they ever HAD the movies.
If there was a miscommunication (which I doubt there was in this case but it is possible), then FUNi should have done the right thing and immediately clarified such a miscomunication to avoid confusion, transparency and honesty goes a long way when it comes to business.
Which has nothing to do with the reality of how companies announce things. The fact you WANT it to work this way doesn't mean it doesn't.
That's true it was only announced that they had the masters, however judging by this quote from their own DBOX announcement press release "The Dragon Box will be produced from the original Dragon Box masters after a frame by frame restoration and will span the entire 291 episode television series and all 13 of its movies" it's pretty clear to me that they did intend to release them.
Quoting a press release doesn't really help your argument when everyone is aware it existed. It doesn't mean the realities of it allowed them to on, even if they did have them, as I'll point out below.
Considering how popular the DBZ movies are, it makes even less sense for them not to release the DBZ Movies DBOX at all, unfortunately at this point FUNimation would be wasting their time in releasing the movies DBOX as the DVD market is pretty much a dying market.
Some could argue it always would have been a waste. I could think of a dozen reasons why they had the movies and never released them. Let's just go with one of the more obvious ones. The Dboxes were always niche sellers in the first place. For something people were chomping at the bit to have. Most of the audience was perfectly happy with the movie versions that existed.

Doesn't mean they won't ever release them, but the movies were always a slimmer market than the show was for this type of release.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
This comes right after that, thats how I noticed because I saw the light on the bottom left.
That still counts as "blank." My print of DB episode 58 and multiple TV recordings have that kind of frames.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:29 pm

kei17 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
That still counts as "blank." My print of DB episode 58 and multiple TV recordings have that kind of frames.
Oh! I got what you mean, I thought to meant the added fade ins the US DVDs added to allow branching. ^^'>

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:44 pm

I apologize in advance if I'm being redundant here, but I can't read 300+ pages.

I just bought a set of Season 3 of the Blu Ray release and good lord! The colours are horrible. These are just slightly better or should I say, less worse than the Orange Brick sets. That annoying dark blue, bright yellow and dark orange just doesn't work for me. Way too much contrast and reduced brightness for my taste.

It seems like Funimation has simply just taken that very same footage they made off the tapes and transferred the max resolution (for lack of a better term) of it to Blu Ray.

Is anybody that already owns the Dragon Boxes actually buying this entire set?

Secondly, what happened to that "Funimation answers Kanzenshuu's questions about the Blu Ray" thread? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:31 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Secondly, what happened to that "Funimation answers Kanzenshuu's questions about the Blu Ray" thread? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Is this it?
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:35 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I apologize in advance if I'm being redundant here, but I can't read 300+ pages.

I just bought a set of Season 3 of the Blu Ray release and good lord! The colours are horrible. These are just slightly better or should I say, less worse than the Orange Brick sets. That annoying dark blue, bright yellow and dark orange just doesn't work for me. Way too much contrast and reduced brightness for my taste.

It seems like Funimation has simply just taken that very same footage they made off the tapes and transferred the max resolution (for lack of a better term) of it to Blu Ray.

Is anybody that already owns the Dragon Boxes actually buying this entire set?

Secondly, what happened to that "Funimation answers Kanzenshuu's questions about the Blu Ray" thread? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Well Season 3 seemed to be the worst of the Blu Ray Season Sets with the skin tones becoming a little too pink.
Yes, some people who have bought the Dragon Boxes have bought these sets mainly for the Extras and the Japanese Audio.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Can anyone confirm if the default 5.1 track is better than the one on the bricks? The original score with the dub was very low on those sets.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 pm

It's better, yes, the volume is OK now.I Also noticed that they (Nathanael Harrison, probably ?) fixed some saturation problems,on episodes 120-121 for example.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 am

I've just got 5 of the sets in the post the other day (I'm waiting on the rest of them to be delivered) I do like them. The only issue I have really is that the backgrounds quite often look like paintings. Oh and I've noticed a sort of flickering/shaking of the picture which I don't remember being as bad on the Orange Bricks /Dragon Boxes or with Kai. The cropping doesn't seem too bad though and looks better than the Orange Bricks. I own the Orange Bricks as well but I'm from the UK so a big feature of these sets for me is not just that they're Blu-ray, but they're also region free - so I can watch them on my UK PS4.

For the price I paid, £17.99 a set, I can't really complain.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Even though I dont need them, I'm sort of wanting these sets haha

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:45 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Even though I dont need them, I'm sort of wanting these sets haha
I didn't NEED them, but I thought why not because

1) It's all of DBZ on Blu-ray
2) It's Region Free
3) At a great price

Also, I've just got in from work and Seasons 1 + 2 have arrived so I now have all up to Season 7, with 8 and 9 on the way. :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:04 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Even though I dont need them, I'm sort of wanting these sets haha

2) It's Region Free
3) At a great price

Also, I've just got in from work and Seasons 1 + 2 have arrived so I now have all up to Season 7, with 8 and 9 on the way. :)
They look pretty nice on TV but I'm at the point now where I'll probly just was select episodes or fights so I'm not sure if it's needed. Maybe I'll get season 1 and 3 :D

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:25 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
BlackCatScott wrote:

2) It's Region Free
3) At a great price

They look pretty nice on TV but I'm at the point now where I'll probly just was select episodes or fights so I'm not sure if it's needed. Maybe I'll get season 1 and 3 :D
And 2 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7...haha, it's non stop!

My plan was to get a couple and maybe collect them throughout the year. Next thing I knew I'd pre-ordered all of them. I have a disease.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:46 pm

This just makes me upset. Don't support shitty products 'just because'. You won't get the releases you want if you do that. You tell FUNi it's acceptable, they'll keep on believing it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:04 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:This just makes me upset. Don't support shitty products 'just because'. You won't get the releases you want if you do that. You tell FUNi it's acceptable, they'll keep on believing it.
This will probably make you more upset mate but have you had a look at Amazon.com's best selling anime list? These sets are constantly within the top 10, I expected them to drop in sales by now but nope.