Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am

Corpsecreate wrote:Blu-Ray
My Filtered Dbox encode with free software
My Filtered Dbox encode with free software (no brightness/contrast alterations and 'safe' colour edits)

Blu-Ray
My Filtered Dbox encode with free software
My Filtered Dbox encode with free software (no brightness/contrast alterations and 'safe' colour edits)
Considering what can be done with free tools and a 480p video source, the Blu-rays do not impress me at all.
One person vs "Team of super geniuses"
Passion vs professional company's budget
Free software vs professional studio (hardware and software)
480p ~7Mbps MPEG2 with many issues vs raw 2 or 4k scans

Effect like above vs Season blu-rays

Who the hell is the real genius here?

darkknightkryta

Post by darkknightkryta » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 am

What free software did you use for those shots? I've been using avidemux and I couldn't get any good filters from it (Automagically removes the colour cast from episodes though...)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 am

Yeah...

Those comparisons show for a fact that Funimation did not try in the absolute slightest with this release.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am

darkknightkryta wrote:What free software did you use for those shots? I've been using avidemux and I couldn't get any good filters from it (Automagically removes the colour cast from episodes though...)
Filtering was done through avisynth. Color correction was done by both avisynth and virtualdub.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am

final_flash wrote:You guys have to see this :crazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgx2or6Aw6s :crazy:
Well now I'm just upset. What an absolutely idiotic 'review'. It really added a lot of credibility to his 'argument' when he referred to that other user as 'gay'.

Yup, a bit of homophobia really makes me want to take you seriously!

Sheesh, I have no problems with people arguing that they enjoy the release (I question it but I don't get upset), I do have issues with people totally ignoring the undeniably questionable morals regarding the restoration process.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 am

Honestly, what raises my eyebrow is the fact that he actually takes the cropped footage and then squishes it into 4:3, thereby removing the only possible advantage and getting absolutely everything wrong: it doesn't fill his screen, he loses 20% of the image, AND the image is distorted. There is absolutely NOTHING right about that picture! :lol:

It reminds me of when I was in college and walked in on my roommate watching our widescreen TV. He was watching a movie that was on a double-sided DVD. One side was the original widescreen framing, and the other was cropped 4:3 pan and scan. He was watching the cropped 4:3 version stretched out to 16:9. I almost had a stroke trying to reconcile how little sense that made.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

darkknightkryta wrote:Bulma's hair was never supposed to be green though.
And how do you know this with certainty?
darkknightkryta wrote:I'm curious about if animation cells fade as well since if you look at most of the cells Bluma's hair is indeed the proper blue.
It's a question I'd like to have answered as well... but I'm going to challenge you on this one. Every animation cel I see looks like the ones I previously posted. If the animation cels fade in some fashion, why are all of the other colors just fine in the same pictures (especially the whites and other blues within the same picture. Why don't the other blues fade to the turquoise color as well?).
It looks to me, putting it to what we know as the original broadcast colors altered some of the colors as well, as see here
In that shot, even the other colors are slightly different (such as the colors on both Bulma's leg and Goku's leg are a bit different). I might measure the difference in Photoshop later tonight just to play around with to see if it's consistent.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:28 am

Amazon.com now has it in stock again and what was fixed? Nothing.

They increased the price to $27.98, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonball-Season ... A+Season+1

Just one more "review" and boom, it hits the 100 mark. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
final_flash wrote:You guys have to see this :crazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgx2or6Aw6s :crazy:
Well now I'm just upset. What an absolutely idiotic 'review'. It really added a lot of credibility to his 'argument' when he referred to that other user as 'gay'.

Yup, a bit of homophobia really makes me want to take you seriously!

Sheesh, I have no problems with people arguing that they enjoy the release (I question it but I don't get upset), I do have issues with people totally ignoring the undeniably questionable morals regarding the restoration process.
Holy crap... It made me to write a comment on youtube... :lol:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 am

Honestly, I'm bored by reviews of reviews some people have been posting here. This is not a thread for overseeing people on Amazon.com or YouTube, I suppose.

Corpsecreate wrote:Filtering was done through avisynth. Color correction was done by both avisynth and virtualdub.
Exactly what filters did you use?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Amazon.com now has it in stock again and what was fixed? Nothing.

They increased the price to $27.98, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonball-Season ... A+Season+1

Just one more "review" and boom, it hits the 100 mark. :P
Yeah they're gonna have to lower that price before I jump on it. :P Also I hate seeing Season 2 up for pre-order for $40. Why do they do that? Everyone who has a brain knows it's not officially going to be that price? Just trying to sucker someone I guess. :?
http://www.amazon.com/Dragonball-Z-Seas ... l+z+bluray
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Sellers who own Dragon Ball Z: Level 1.1 and Level 1.2 have started to increase their prices as they must think that's some kind of rarity but turns out for US Dragonbox Z owners that's not really any loss, as it's an incomplete set anyway. :lol:

People are so greedy nowadays jeez.
samuraix123 wrote:Yeah they're gonna have to lower that price before I jump on it. :P Also I hate seeing Season 2 up for pre-order for $40. Why do they do that? Everyone who has a brain knows it's not officially going to be that price? Just trying to sucker someone I guess.
The Season BDs will eventually drop down to $15 so it's just a matter of time before it happens. Amazon's trying to cash in on people who might assume this is a Limited Edition item.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 pm

If the price comes down before launch, Amazon will charge the cheaper price.

It's pretty likely to come down prior to launch so I wouldn't get up in arms about it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Here's a video comparing the aspect ratio's of the level sets vs the season sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM The person who made the video said it isn't a quality comparison since he faded the level sets and season sets video into each other. It's an interesting video and you can see selective cropping taking place it's really noticeable here. http://youtu.be/yNLG-e2GPpM?t=1m9s
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I don't know if this is new, but I didn't notice it before the BD went off-sale on Amazon. There are some more images now, which show comparisons between the Levels and the Seasons.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:32 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here's a video comparing the aspect ratio's of the level sets vs the season sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM The person who made the video said it isn't a quality comparison since he faded the level sets and season sets video into each other. It's an interesting video and you can see selective cropping taking place it's really noticeable here. http://youtu.be/yNLG-e2GPpM?t=1m9s
Yhh the cropping looks to have been done properly this time around. Thank Goodness.

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:02 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here's a video comparing the aspect ratio's of the level sets vs the season sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLG-e2GPpM The person who made the video said it isn't a quality comparison since he faded the level sets and season sets video into each other. It's an interesting video and you can see selective cropping taking place it's really noticeable here. http://youtu.be/yNLG-e2GPpM?t=1m9s
Wow I had never really seen a comparison like that show me what I was actually missing by funi choosing widescreen. Honestly it kinda pisses me off to actually see how much of the image is lost. I do already have the dragon boxes but I was also considering this until seeing how much is lost.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm

qjz123 wrote:It's an interesting video and you can see selective cropping taking place it's really noticeable here. http://youtu.be/yNLG-e2GPpM?t=1m9s
This also shows how heavily it messes with original director's vision. Vegeta goes to the center instead of being on the bottom. This video is actually quite good comparison. My conclusion: The more videos like these I watch, the more it makes me mad about cropping. Amout of original artwork missing is unacceptable. I will never put filling 16:9 screen above 20% of this beautiful cel animation. TV shows are not produced for watching TV sets - TV sets are produced for watching TV shows.

"I prefer originality, but I don't mind cropping" - nice logically flawed suicidal thinking. FUNimation is actually more clever than I thought. Their advertisement campaign is doing pretty well.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:TV shows are not produced for watching TV sets - TV sets are produced for watching TV shows.
While I agree with most of what you said this isn't necessarily true. Wasn't Dbz originally animated in 4:3 because that was the TV standard at the time. Even the movies were made in 4:3 for technical reasons even though they were meant to be seen in 16:9 they were animated in 4:3 because it was easier/cheaper not because of artistic intent. The new specials are made in 16:9 because that is the standard aspect ratio of TV's today. Now once a product has already been created it's intended aspect ratio should never be changed but to imply that TV manufactures have to conform to what content creators are trying to do is simply not true. Content creators have to conform to what ever hardware standards they are working with at the time. Which is why Dbz kai had to be cropped when it aired on TV.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:TV shows are not produced for watching TV sets - TV sets are produced for watching TV shows.
While I agree with most of what you said this isn't necessarily true. Wasn't Dbz originally animated in 4:3 because that was the TV standard at the time. Even the movies were made in 4:3 for technical reasons even though they were meant to be seen in 16:9 they were animated in 4:3 because it was easier/cheaper not because of artistic intent. The new specials are made in 16:9 because that is the standard aspect ratio of TV's today. Now once a product has already been created it's intended aspect ratio should never be changed but to imply that TV manufactures have to conform to what content creatures are trying to do is simply not true. Content creators have to conform to what ever hardware standards they are working with at the time. Which is why Dbz kai had to be cropped when it aired on TV.
You're 100% right. I wanted to write it as short as possible and I didn't express myself clearly: Of course I mean already produced shows. Home video releases are not limited with any aspect ratio. Current television standards should not interfere with older productions, especially those which are restored for home video. In my sentence, I considered TV set as a device - it is designed to "carry art", not to change it.

Despite of the reasons why some production standard was selected, it became a fundamental part in artistic vision of the original production staff.

BTW, there are tons of older TV series which are broadcasted in 16:9 with pillars on the sides.