Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6884
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Seems that the "aye"s have it. FUNimation made an extremely good business decision to try and emulate the HD/2K/4K Orange Brick videos that are all over YouTube. Of course, had they not done this widescreen nonsense back in 2007 and tried to sell it so hard with their lies, people today probably woudn't ever expect DBZ to be in anything other than 4:3 and they never would've had to make this decision for the Blu-rays.

The only reason it really sucks so hard, though, is because we got a taste of the Level sets. Knowing that we could potentially have something so much better but having this instead, and the everyday DBZ fan loving the crap out of it, is what really kills me. Has we never got the Levels, I would have written this off as, "Oh, look, another day in US DBZ anime fandom. I think I'll go read some manga and forget that his ever happened."

Hopefully right after this set finishes FUNi will throw the hardcore fans a bone. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.
Last edited by Kendamu on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
qjz123
Regular
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by qjz123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Shnuki wrote: It actually looks like somebody took the orange brick master, cropped it to 4:3, and then cropped it to 16:9 again :lol:
It really does :lol:.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Kakarot88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Kendamu wrote: The only reason it really sucks so hard, though, is because we got a taste of the Level sets. Knowing that we could potentially have something so much better but having this instead, and the everyday DBZ fan loving the crap out of it, is what really kills me.
Yeah I saw the prices beginning to creep up since the new blu-rays were announced and just bought the 2 level sets and watched and was really impressed

BUT honestly with these I noticed the grain a hell of a lot more than the funimation singles. So I am wondering if that was part of the reason they just did the Orange Bricks in Blue Ray because the restoration process "looked" less clean on the level sets than the bricks because now the grain (at least to my eyes) was noticable given the HD quality.

In other words it seems to me that because the bricks are super saturated you don't see the grain and so to the average consumer who doesn't know better because it looks cleaner that means it must be better than an actual restoration which still has noticible grain.

All in all I'm just happy with my singles and the fact we have releases to watch at all. I mean it could be worse, we could have nothing, all the film could have been destroyed in a fire or some other crazy stuff...sure I wish levels kept going or that this release was better but singles, bricks, whatever...it's all better than nothing.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:00 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois.
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Shnuki wrote: It actually looks like somebody took the orange brick master, cropped it to 4:3, and then cropped it to 16:9 again :lol:
It really does :lol:.
I'll bet that's what happened
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Shnuki wrote: It actually looks like somebody took the orange brick master, cropped it to 4:3, and then cropped it to 16:9 again :lol:
It really does :lol:.
I'll bet that's what happened
So, assuming this was an accident, do you guys think this will be corrected for future sets? I have no idea why this would happen, unless it was an accident. I mean, how bad would their masters of this ending have to be if they had to double crop it to avoid remastering part of it?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

I saw the ending to my season one bluray set and yup, it's cropped to shit. I also think that this was an accident, I mean, not even FUNi would purposely do something like this. If they did, the internet hasn't made up enough profanities to express how I feel about that decision.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
EA575
Regular
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by EA575 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 pm

If anyone wants to watch DBZ 4:3 legally, you guys can check out the site Daisuki here. I'm not good at noticing the differences between all of the remasters unless compared side by side, but so far this one seems good. The player automatically upscales to 720p when there's a good connection. They add a new episode every week, too.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:17 pm

qjz123 wrote:They didn't use the overscanned season blu ray ending. The ending on the season blu rays actually is more cropped. http://imageshack.com/a/img853/7855/4mhc.png I have no idea why Funimation did it. Did they think "hey no one watches the ending lets crop off 40% of the image so we don't have to remaster it". The text under the image on amazon is misleading. It says "There seems to be more cropping with the blu-ray sets" it doesn't mention that excessive cropping is only an issue with the ending, the actual episodes actually show more of the image than the orange bricks.
Hm, thanks and sorry about that but it's kinda hard to take what's true and what isn't since there's so much unnecessary hate for these sets (they're not meant to be for the hardcore or anything so they need to settle down).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16361
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:19 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:since there's so much unnecessary hate for these sets (they're not meant to be for the hardcore or anything so they need to settle down).
You seem to be personifying these sets and taking your own personal offense.

We really are allowed to point out what we consider flaws and we really are allowed to editorialize and further comment on why we think it was a bad decision, why they're not the product we want, and what we would like to see done differently.

I mean, I seem to recall just recently discussing what the missing 4:3 episodes were with you, either in this or some other thread. That's not unnecessary hatred... that's a legitimate discussion point and worth pointing out to people.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:22 pm

I didn't mean to offend anyone here but if FUNimation were to follow what's posted on Amazon then we might be cursed for the future releases to be like this.

It's not a terrible or perfect set, just around as serviceable as the Blue Bricks (DB) and Green Bricks (GT). Some should stick to this for now (or wait) instead of paying crazy amounts of money (DBOX2) for a possible future DBZ 4x3 AR release (bet's on Toei Animation).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by B » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:23 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:since there's so much unnecessary hate for these sets (they're not meant to be for the hardcore or anything so they need to settle down).
The hilariously sad thing is FUNimation are truly the ones making the distinctions of "hardcore" or "casual" or whatever. Nobody asked them to crop DBZ in 2007, nor did anyone ask them to destroy the picture. I'd bet money there were young fans who didn't even have a full concept of what "aspect ratio" even means. They saw a DVD set with 40 episodes on it for $20, and said "gimme!" The same thing is happening with these sets.

FUNimation has proven themselves masters of marketing. They've convinced people that they wanted things they had no idea was even a choice before, because it wasn't a choice.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5954
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It's not a terrible or perfect set, just around as serviceable as the Blue Bricks (DB) and Green Bricks (GT).
Not really. Those aren't cropped, and despite coming from Digibeta masters, they look much better than these Blu-rays.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm

The Blue Bricks are zoomed in so that still counts as some cropping and GT has the issues of the metallic logo, no NEPs and no Japanese credits.

I'm not sure about how zoomed in the Green Bricks are in comparison to the FUNi Singles / Dragonbox GT.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Yeah, I agree. The blue and green bricks do have some relatively substantial faults, which is why I've never purchased any of them (in fact, I'm currently trying to complete my DB Saga sets collection after all this time). But they are absolutely nowhere near as bad as the orange bricks and the BDs. In fact, all of the problems you mention in your post are problems the BDs have, only some are much, much worse.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/2/19!)
Current Episode: Goku Attracts Bad Guys? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 17!

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Puto » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not sure about how zoomed in the Green Bricks are in comparison to the FUNi Singles / Dragonbox GT.
They aren't. Exact same framing.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5954
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The Blue Bricks are zoomed in so that still counts as some cropping.
The Blue Bricks are barely zoomed compared with the saga sets. Besides, I never found the zooming to be an issue, especially to the 16:9 cropping:

Image

Image

Not only that, but they did do some minor clean-up on the Blue Bricks, which makes them better than the saga sets to me. You'll notice there are no tape marks between scene changes. This is because they duplicated the frame after each scene change. You can sometimes notice an extremely brief, one-frame pause, but I find it no more distracting than the tape marks and damaged frames were. I've also noticed lots of freeze framing in random shots where there is no motion, probably because there were frames with extensive damage.

Sure it's a bit of a half-assed clean-up job, but I'm happy with the results.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Image
This screenshot with Goku and Ten sure crops out a good amount of picture on the Blue Bricks which is what bothers me personally.

However, on your other screen comparison the cropping isn't too bad and rather small but as shown it's not always like that.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5954
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 pm

I'd like to see comparison shots with the saga sets for those shots actually.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: VA

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:09 pm

qjz123 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote: By the way, someone used the overscanned the Season BDs to make the Season DVDs look better, er.. just stick to what you like. Amazon's fanbase can even be worse than YouTube's DB community. Damn.
They didn't use the overscanned season blu ray ending. The ending on the season blu rays actually is more cropped. http://imageshack.com/a/img853/7855/4mhc.png I have no idea why Funimation did it. Did they think "hey no one watches the ending lets crop off 40% of the image so we don't have to remaster it". The text under the image on amazon is misleading. It says "There seems to be more cropping with the blu-ray sets" it doesn't mention that excessive cropping is only an issue with the ending, the actual episodes actually show more of the image than the orange bricks.
WOW No coment

User avatar
Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:48 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Image
This screenshot with Goku and Ten sure crops out a good amount of picture on the Blue Bricks which is what bothers me personally.

However, on your other screen comparison the cropping isn't too bad and rather small but as shown it's not always like that.
Well in fairness, it is a comparison between the Blue Brick and the Dragon Box. I seem to recall that the Dragon Box had more image than the older 2-disc sets FUNi put out for Dragon Ball as well. Also one has to take into account how the show was animated with the intent of being shown on old tube-TVs which had a considerable amount of overscan, far more than what we get on modern TVs. As such, while the Blue Bricks do indeed show less of the frame than other releases of the show do, I rather doubt the zooming is substantial enough that it actually cuts off any of the important details that Toei wanted to be seen.

Post Reply