Favorite voice for Vegeta?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Favorite voice for Vegeta?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Mine is Ryo Horikawa, though I also like Chris Sabat a lot too. I like Horikawa for his more calm and collected take, and Sabat for his more rough take. What do you all think?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Favorite voice for Vegeta?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm

It's a tie between Ryo Horikawa and Chris Sabat.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Sabat used to be my least favorite, actually. But after many years of improvement (not just of his Vegeta voice but of his own acting abilities in general) he's become my favorite English Vegeta. He's still got a bit too much rasp going on, but his delivery is remarkably good now. I'd say the same for his Piccolo, but even more so now that he's dropped the whole "ogre" voice he was doing for all those years.

Ryo Horikawa is still my favorite Vegeta, though, regardless. It's unfortunate that the years of aging and smoking have degraded his voice, but his acting is still on top and I still quite enjoy his performance. Those powerups, though... well, people gotta get older. Still respect him as much now as ever.

One of these days, I'd love to see an English variation on Horikawa done for Vegeta.

Edit: Oh! And I still enjoy Brian Drummond's early performance as Vegeta, but it wasn't necessarily the best, nor the most appropriate. His screams were legendary, though!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:30 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Sabat used to be my least favorite, actually. But after many years of improvement (not just of his Vegeta voice but of his own acting abilities in general) he's become my favorite English Vegeta. He's still got a bit too much rasp going on, but his delivery is remarkably good now. I'd say the same for his Piccolo, but even more so now that he's dropped the whole "ogre" voice he was doing for all those years.

Ryo Horikawa is still my favorite Vegeta, though, regardless. It's unfortunate that the years of aging and smoking have degraded his voice, but his acting is still on top and I still quite enjoy his performance. Those powerups, though... well, people gotta get older. Still respect him as much now as ever.

One of these days, I'd love to see an English variation on Horikawa done for Vegeta.

Edit: Oh! And I still enjoy Brian Drummond's early performance as Vegeta, but it wasn't necessarily the best, nor the most appropriate. His screams were legendary, though!
Since hearing DBZ Kai, Sabat is still my favorite. His acting on Vegeta and Piccolo sound so much better than they used to. He dropped Piccolo's chain smoker voice and stopped doing the Drummond impersonation and has a more natural voice to him now, which works really well. It doesent sound forced anymore and lends itself to the voice acting quality.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Ryo Horikawa all day. But that's unfair comparison. Ryo Horikawa is king. So I'll say Korean Vegeta. He's amazing!

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 pm

For me, the Ocean dub and the Funi dub (and Kai I guess) sort of end up having this holistic cohesion to them, such that if you just dropped Drummond's Vegeta right into the Funi dub, it would seem somewhat out of place. That said, I prefer more voices in the Ocean dub, Vegeta's included, though the glaringly low budget of the lost Ocean dub episodes makes me cringe a bit and, for example, I cannot even imagine Scott McNeil's Piccolo acting out all the comic relief of the Buu saga.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Ryo's voice brings out Vegeta's pride, arrogance & anger with such energy that it'll be unfair to compare him with any other VA.

Other's might come close, but not exactly on the same league as Ryo-san.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:09 pm

No one will ever beat Chris Sabat in my eyes! I can only hear him being Vegeta! - Legend!
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Say what you want, but the first Portuguese voice actor for Vegeta-João Loy- is the man! Fucking love his voice.
That or Ryo Horikawa, thanks to Budokai 1 I have lots of nostalgia for him.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I do not have enough exposure to Ryo Horikawa so I must omit him.

It may be a bit of a cop out, but I actually like both Chris Sabat and Brian Drummond as Vegeta in English. In Canada, the dub switched to the AB dub towards the end of the Cell saga, so we ultimately got more of Drummond than Sabat. However, with everything else that was wrong with the DBZ season sets, the revised audio allowed me to gain a new appreciation for Sabat's Vegeta as the Drummond-imitation and Tasmanian Devil-esque power up yells were gone.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Tie between Horikawa and Sabat (Kai).
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Sabat mostly but Drummond for the Saiyan and Namek saga. Funnily enough the change from Drummond to Sabat also appropriately reflected Vegeta's growth in size.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Definitely Ryo Horikawa. I still love Sabat's Vegeta though as the best English Vegeta. Both were awesome people to meet.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm perfectly fine with Sabat's, and he's definitely my favorite English voice for the character - especially the way he does it nowadays - but Horikawa just blows him out of the water IMO. He's definitely one of the all-stars of the original Japanese version for me.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:57 pm

You know, I use to be a big fan of Sabat's Vegeta but as time goes on I dislike it more and more. I can't even really stand it any more. I guess my bias towards Drummond, knowing him a bit personally, has made me grow huge respect for the man and his voices he does. Actually, listening to his voice as Vegeta is really amazing. It has such a cool tone to it that is hard to duplicate. Everything about it is unique. I love it.

Of course, the Horikawa's voice is just as good. But it is harder for me to judge as it is in a different language. Despite that, I enjoy it much more than the English dub of Z and Kai (especially FUNi's English dub).
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:06 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Sabat mostly but Drummond for the Saiyan and Namek saga. Funnily enough the change from Drummond to Sabat also appropriately reflected Vegeta's growth in size.
yup, totally agree, Drummond's Vegeta voice just didn't fit after the Frieza saga.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Sabat mostly but Drummond for the Saiyan and Namek saga. Funnily enough the change from Drummond to Sabat also appropriately reflected Vegeta's growth in size.
yup, totally agree, Drummond's Vegeta voice just didn't fit after the Freeza saga.
It does, but you are use to that gap where Drummond didn't voice him. Thus, in your own mind you justify it by claiming that Sabat is better off.

I disagree with you completely. Sabat doesn't fit Vegeta at all. Too deep, too gruff.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
yup, totally agree, Drummond's Vegeta voice just didn't fit after the Freeza saga.
Pretty much how I feel about it too. I appreciate Drummond's Vegeta, for what it is, during the Saiyan Saga material I've heard. And he's still rocking pretty well in the Namek stuff too - but after that, ehh...at least, in the Boo arc clips I've heard, it doesn't really work.

I'm not saying he probably can't do it though, it's just with the particular version of the voice he was using back then. I'd definitely be excited to hear what he might do with it now. You know, like, say, in the Ocean Kai dub. When that comes out. Eventually. Someday. Potentially. ...Where am I?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 pm

You know, like, say, in the Ocean Kai dub. When that comes out. Eventually. Someday. Potentially. ...Where am I?
It would be funny as shit if they waited till 2020 to make Ocean Kai

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:22 pm

I honestly don't see how he doesn't fit. I mean, he nails it here