8-Man

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

8-Man

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:47 am

Just found out that Viz's translation of Gokuu's pet-name for Android #8 at "8-Man" may've been inspired by the 1960s manga 8-Man, featuring a cyborg protagonist. So this makes it more acceptable, in my eyes, if it's at least a reference (regardless of whether or not it's for the sake of making a reference).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: 8-Man

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 am

Sounds close enough to Hachan, and it rhymes, I guess!

What did Funimation call him?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Sounds close enough to Hachan, and it rhymes, I guess!

What did Funimation call him?
FUNimation called him "Eighter" in the dub which sounds so ridiculous if you think about it.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 pm

No more ridiculous than "8-Man," really.

Of course, both Funimation and Viz did the name-thing as well as could have been expected.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 pm

For what it's worth, Toriyama mentions in his Daizenshuu 3 interview that he watched 8-Man when he was a kid. So it could possibly be the reason he went with "No. 8" instead of some other random value.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:23 pm

This is an example of where adaptation, I think, works better than translation. I've always liked that they gave him a nickname that works in English, even though it's a bit silly.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]