Filler! Oh your god, no!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:11 am

Akira wrote:I do not know for certain, as it is one of the only Dragonball Mangas I have never seen or read, but I heard Majin Buu (kid) vs. Super Saiyan 2 Goku was entirely filler. My friend told me that in the Manga Vegeta and Goku do the rock paper sicsors thing, and then Goku immediately goes to Super Saiyan 3 for the fight.

In the Anime Goku fights as Super Saiyan 2 first for awhile thinking he'll give Vegeta a chance to fight as Super Saiyan 2 as well and see how they do before he uses Super Saiyan 3. If that is filler, then it is is some damn cool filler, and one of my favorite fights in the entire series.

Aside from that, I like the episode where Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Krillin and Choutzu save the village from the volcano before seperating to train on thier own for the 23rd World Tournament.
Filler. Why would Goku not fight in SSJ3?! They both know how they'll do in SSJ2: they'll lose, WORSE than they did against Fat Buu.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:21 am

Dayspring wrote:
Akira wrote:I do not know for certain, as it is one of the only Dragonball Mangas I have never seen or read, but I heard Majin Buu (kid) vs. Super Saiyan 2 Goku was entirely filler. My friend told me that in the Manga Vegeta and Goku do the rock paper sicsors thing, and then Goku immediately goes to Super Saiyan 3 for the fight.

In the Anime Goku fights as Super Saiyan 2 first for awhile thinking he'll give Vegeta a chance to fight as Super Saiyan 2 as well and see how they do before he uses Super Saiyan 3. If that is filler, then it is is some damn cool filler, and one of my favorite fights in the entire series.

Aside from that, I like the episode where Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Krillin and Choutzu save the village from the volcano before seperating to train on thier own for the 23rd World Tournament.
Filler. Why would Goku not fight in SSJ3?! They both know how they'll do in SSJ2: they'll lose, WORSE than they did against Fat Buu.
Amen! This is a big reason why I don't like Filler. It tends to utterly disregard even basic forms of logic. Plus, they made it look like SS2 Goku and Base Vegeta are as strong as Super Saiyan 3 Goku. I actually read a post on MFG once suggesting that because Vegeta saw a SS3 in action, he was able to simulate the power in his base form temporarliy.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:16 am

I actually read a post on MFG once suggesting that because Vegeta saw a SS3 in action, he was able to simulate the power in his base form temporarliy.
What the fuck? :lol: Duo, do you think you could tell me what he's smoking? It's obviously some good shit. :lol:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm

Duo wrote:Amen! This is a big reason why I don't like Filler. It tends to utterly disregard even basic forms of logic. Plus, they made it look like SS2 Goku and Base Vegeta are as strong as Super Saiyan 3 Goku. I actually read a post on MFG once suggesting that because Vegeta saw a SS3 in action, he was able to simulate the power in his base form temporarliy.
"Simulate"? What do you mean simulate?

Well, maybe he does simulate some special kind of power. His exposure to Babidi's mind-control, the potara fusion, the inner working of Buu, and the transportation between this world and the afterlife - this might all how cumulated to give Vegeta a better understanding of power beyond that of simple Ki.He may have discovered a way to fight magically entities without the need for such massive volumes of energy (like SS3 needs). Perhaps there is truth behind this simple suggestion.

Or maybe the guy's just giving "Piccolo-San advice" :P

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:48 am

One piece of filler I would have wanted changed is how Vegeta killed off Frieza's remaining henchmen before Krillin and Gohan got there. I wanted to see Krillin and Gohan kicking some ass.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:35 pm

I think we can all agree on this particular example being the best filler sequence in the series.

This is while Vegeta and the others are on Earth, waiting for Goku and Freeza to finish their fight on Namek. Vegeta proceeds to beat the raging hell out of Gohan, and then flies far far FAR into the horizon, laughing maniacally over having just proudly roughed-up a small child.

The following episode, where is Vegeta? He sits in the corner, where he started the previous episode, waiting with Gohan, Piccolo, and so forth. Apparently, either the animators became awfully confused, or Vegeta kissed and made-up, having come to the obvious conclusion that he has nowhere to go.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:07 pm

oponok wrote:I think we can all agree on this particular example being the best filler sequence in the series.

This is while Vegeta and the others are on Earth, waiting for Goku and Freeza to finish their fight on Namek. Vegeta proceeds to beat the raging hell out of Gohan, and then flies far far FAR into the horizon, laughing maniacally over having just proudly roughed-up a small child.

The following episode, where is Vegeta? He sits in the corner, where he started the previous episode, waiting with Gohan, Piccolo, and so forth. Apparently, either the animators became awfully confused, or Vegeta kissed and made-up, having come to the obvious conclusion that he has nowhere to go.
Was Vegeta laughing maniacally when he flew off? From what I remember he was very frustrated with Gohan and everything else when he left.

Yeah, his presence was noticeable in the next episode, and somewhat humorous. But I always enjoy that filler because of the tone that it presents and the BGMs' they went with.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:00 am

I hate that piece with Vegeta vs. Gohan. They weren't on fighting terms, they weren't in a situation to fight. It made no freakin' sense. It's sad that the Goku/Freeza fight was also so dragged out that they could fit a Sub-battle in there. Hah, pathetic. Remember Bulma doing that stupid leaf burning thing too? Retarded.

They were standing around for like...2 minutes before Namek went boom.

Y'know, the one time Toei shouldn't have filled it out is when there were time limits like that. Couldn't they have AT LEAST changed the numbers?! They did for Cell's countdown to exploding.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:01 am

I bassically agree with what was said on the Podcast.

Every bit of filler in the episode "Save The World"

I mean really, those 4 didn't belong on the battle field, but they were desperate, it's all very dramatic & a really beautiful scene. At that point, they are more than just fighters, they are friends, trying to protect Gohan. Also in that same episode, I like that whole Vegeta power up scene. He's not afraid but he'd held back, he's glowing & then *d00m*, the power up to SSJ, that's awesome. I think Toriyama really sould have added this but it's all an amazing episode (filler wise).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:57 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:I bassically agree with what was said on the Podcast.

I mean really, those 4 didn't belong on the battle field, but they were desperate, it's all very dramatic & a really beautiful scene. At that point, they are more than just fighters, they are friends, trying to protect Gohan. Also in that same episode, I like that whole Vegeta power up scene. He's not afraid but he'd held back, he's glowing & then *d00m*, the power up to SSJ, that's awesome. I think Toriyama really sould have added this but it's all an amazing episode (filler wise).
Not sure what you're talking about here, but you reminded me of the scene where everybody was firing ki blasts at Cell while Gohan was kamehameha dueling with him. I think I'm the only person who hated that scene; it defeated the purpose of Vegeta's destraction. If everybody was doing it and it didn't affect Cell, why would one morecompletely throw him off guard? :x
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Dayspring wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about here, but you reminded me of the scene where everybody was firing ki blasts at Cell while Gohan was kamehameha dueling with him. I think I'm the only person who hated that scene; it defeated the purpose of Vegeta's destraction. If everybody was doing it and it didn't affect Cell, why would one morecompletely throw him off guard? :x
I actually like the scene, it's noble of the fighters to help when they know they are no match for Cell.

Vegeta's power easily exceeded the rest(excluding Goku and Gohan of course), he was a Super Saiyan with the ability to go up to USSJ2, I'm sure he could summon enough power to at least daze Cell for a second or two. The same way Piccolo gave Freeza that kick to the face.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:56 pm

Dayspring wrote:

I don't know how you could hate such a great scene. Those little speeches they gave right before they went at it one last time, aw man, Piccolo's one made me get a lump in my throat :cry:

God, I mean them all trying desperatley, but still being no match, getting beaten but getting back up. Pure genius on Toei's part.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:24 pm

As stupid as this sounds, I have a slight attachment to the "Bulma & the Crab" Namek Saga episode because it was actually the first DBZ episode I had EVER seen...and that was WAY back when I thought that Dragonball and the Nintendo Arcade game "Double Dragon" were the same thing...yeah, I'm a tard :D

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:04 am

Oh, I just remmebered a good one, most of the Majin Vegeta & Goku fight was filler, but it was all great filler.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:37 am

I like the Garlic Jr. arc. It proved that the world wasn't in any less danger without Goku long before Goku made the conclusion that it was.

I also have a special attachment to the filler mentioned previously with the conclusion of the Cell arc. It was a tribute to their past in my opinion. Each one of those characters were changed by Goku at some point, and with him gone came the realization that they have to stand and fight to not let his sacrifice for them, for everyone, be in vain. Like EX said in the podcast, they were their to show what they learned from Goku by helping his son anyway they could, even if it was to stand and take their beatings.

"That's what filler should be like." -Vegetto EX.

I couldn't agree more.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135