Manga/Anime Comparisons.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Manga/Anime Comparisons.

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:33 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
After reading this thread, I just wanted to pop in to say WHOA! HOLY SHIT! I'd never seen the manga version of this. Dude just straight up punches another guy's head right off! That's hardcore. Way cooler than using a blast.
I remember the first time I read the manga and saw this page, it was one of the most shocking moments in the manga for me! Gurd is about to kill Gohan & Kuririn, I switch page, and boom! Vegata has cut Gurd's head with his freaking hand! It was the first time I saw that scene, so it was totally unexpected for me.
I'd imagine so. The series gets surprisingly graphic at times. Most other times, death are relatively clean. Clean chop with a blast or sword, impalement, being blown up, etc. Which makes moments like this quite jarring.

Now that I know the manga version, I really like this scene because it reminds me of that one scene in Rambo, where Rambo rips a guy's throat out with his bare hands.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Meh, nothing Berserk hasent already done and topped.
Meh. Nothing Corpse Party haven't done and topped either. But Toriyama did get gory at times. Give him credit for that
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 am

Mewzard wrote:Yeah, if you want to see an anime that was censored when compared to the manga, it's Fist of the North Star. You could see people's organs exploding out and such in graphic detail...amazing series really. Was running into the start of Dragon Ball, so it was an interesting time to be a jump reader (Dragon Ball's comedic moments next to shedding manly tears as you have to make your foe explode into chunks, even though they're not entirely evil, but for those who had fallen in the Post-Apocalyptic future).

There is almost nothing that is more graphic than in the manga, which makes choosing an example tough, lol.

Dragon Ball certainly got some censorship, but there was moments where it could be more bloody, like the Makankosappo scene.

Saint Seiya (another 80s Jump series animated by Toei that ran during Dragon Ball's life) also got some censored scenes. Phoenix Ikki's Phoenix Genma Ken created some violent mental illusions that Toei couldn't animate:

Yeah, that wasn't happening.

What is going on there?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 pm

How about the scene where Buu fills a man up to the point he blows up? Do we have scans for that at all?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:How about the scene where Buu fills a man up to the point he blows up? Do we have scans for that at all?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:30 pm

ect5150 wrote:I don't have any images (or time to track them down?) but I remember the manga version of Cell stepping on 16's head to a bit more disturbing. Someone else helps track down some images for this.
Found it:

Indeed looks more brutal than in the anime

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm actually shocked people still have fan-scans from the 90's.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'm actually shocked people still have fan-scans from the 90's.
That's because they are all over the internet.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'm actually shocked people still have fan-scans from the 90's.
I have come across a few outstanding version of the manga online, the issue is manga sites like Manga Reader are too lazy to update their content so the 90's scans are still around.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 am

Yeah pretty different when compared. Both brutal in their own ways but the manga one is winning.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:03 pm

JamesOwnz wrote:What is going on there?
It was an illusionary attack, weakens a foe (and sometimes takes them out right away) by damaging their minds. Seeing that as really happening would mess someone up.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Image

Yeah pretty different when compared. Both brutal in their own ways but the manga one is winning.
Oddly enough, I think that the anime version is more compelling. Something about seeing the eyes pop out of his head just makes it seem more, I dunno, comical to me. The anime version just seems more serious and final.

Or maybe I'm just weird :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm

How come is the one I posted a fake one?
I actually founded it on MangaFox I Always thought that those scans are the exact same like in the manga

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:Image

Oddly enough, I think that the anime version is more compelling. Something about seeing the eyes pop out of his head just makes it seem more, I dunno, comical to me. The anime version just seems more serious and final.

Or maybe I'm just weird :P
Haha I guess. I did like the whole microchips and blood flying.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Is that blood? Why does a robot have blood?
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:How about the scene where Buu fills a man up to the point he blows up? Do we have scans for that at all?
And this, right here, is the reason I've never been able to chew gum.

I love that scene. Surprisingly graphic despite not technically having any gore. Also, in the anime, the man expanded as Buu filled him, instead of expanding after Buu filled him.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Is that blood? Why does a robot have blood?
Red oil?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 pm

PolatGuy92 wrote:
I actually founded it on MangaFox I Always thought that those scans are the exact same like in the manga
It's not fake; it's just... bad. Like, really bad. Flipped, contrasted to all hell in a grainy gif, and hit-or-miss translation in, worst of all, Comic Sans. The official Viz translation has its problems, to be sure, but you shouldn't use scanslations, either (hint, hint).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 pm

How about Freeza's 100% transformation? I noticed the anime gave him a lot more muscle gain compared to the manga version.

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
PolatGuy92 wrote:
It's not fake; it's just... bad. Like, really bad. Flipped, contrasted to all hell in a grainy gif, and hit-or-miss translation in, worst of all, Comic Sans. The official Viz translation has its problems, to be sure, but you shouldn't use scanslations, either (hint, hint).
I kinda agree with that indeed the scans are poorly really bad I use to read the Dragonball manga on MangaFox and notice some are really bad and bad to read. Quess the best thing to do is buy the official manga afterall :P

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Is that blood? Why does a robot have blood?
A lot of robots/cyborgs/androids have blood.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community