Manga/Anime Comparisons.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Manga/Anime Comparisons.

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Meh, nothing Berserk hasent already done and topped.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Meh, nothing Berserk hasent already done and topped.
Yeah, but we're comparing Jump manga with Toei animation. There's a lot Toei won't do.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Weird, I always thought Goku killing Drum was less graphic in the anime. It must have been because it happens so fast.

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Another scene that was toned down a bit in the anime version.

Here's a panel from the manga where Piccolo kills 'the strong type' of the King Castle force:

It's the top-right panel I'm talking about. And here're two frames from the anime:

In the anime, it's a clean piercing with no blood and a comical, cartoony-like hole. Sorry for the low quality image of the manga but there's definitely some blood in the panel in question.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't have any images (or time to track them down?) but I remember the manga version of Cell stepping on 16's head to a bit more disturbing. Someone else helps track down some images for this.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I believe someone posted it here a couple of years back or so. I know it shows 16's eyes popping out of his head.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 am

Mewzard wrote:
Yeah, but we're comparing Jump manga with Toei animation. There's a lot Toei won't do.
Not just Toei. Don't know the animation company, but in Rurouni Kenshin, Usui's death is bloodless in the anime, but in the manga, is rather bloody. In an opposite take though, when Sano says he can't help Kenshin against Shishio due to his hand being messed up, it looks more messed up in the anime than it does in the manga.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:20 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
Not just Toei. Don't know the animation company, but in Rurouni Kenshin, Usui's death is bloodless in the anime, but in the manga, is rather bloody. In an opposite take though, when Sano says he can't help Kenshin against Shishio due to his hand being messed up, it looks more messed up in the anime than it does in the manga.
To be fair, that's one example of censorship that might have been for the best. In the manga, Usui was ripped in half, and pinned to a wall with his guts spilling out. Might be a little gruesome for a kid's show.

...I think it's about time to start watching Kenshin again...
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:01 am

Meh, the Rurouni Kenshin anime is ok. Needs to be redubbed in english if you ask me. Plus we still need a Jinchu arc.

Back on track, any more comparisons?
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 am

Another difference is in the manga, Frieza kills Cargo, but in the anime Dodoria does it. A weird one is that Zarbon informs Vegeta of Frieza's transformations in the manga, but in the anime he does so offscreen apparently.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 am

The Biggest difference in the manga and anime:
Just curious. But what are people's opinion on the manga version of Goku turning SSJ?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:26 am

TheGmGoken wrote:The Biggest difference in the manga and anime:
Just curious. But what are people's opinion on the manga version of Goku turning SSJ?
Underwhelming shock value. DBZ is a franchise that shines in animation rather than still drawings.

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:35 am

I think this nicely sums up manga goku's super saiyan transformation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bCy0#t=137 (2:17 if it's stupid and doesn't link to the correct time)

Say what you will about some of the filler in general, but some bits did actually improve the series, giving certain moments some proper pacing.

but yeah, pretty sure this site already outlined some of this sort of stuff? Don't know if it all made it across, but i remember for example this:
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 am

Umm, theGMGoken, why do you have a badly looking fanscan as the example? Wouldn't a scan from vol. 11 looked better?

But yeah, super saiyan transformations of course will look better in animation than just comic pages.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 am

Super Sonic wrote:Umm, theGMGoken, why do you have a badly looking fanscan as the example? Wouldn't a scan from vol. 11 looked better?

But yeah, super saiyan transformations of course will look better in animation than just comic pages.
Well, Young Jijii has the talent to make them very impressive looking in manga form. The pages where Gohan goes SSJ5 look incredible.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:10 am

After reading this thread, I just wanted to pop in to say WHOA! HOLY SHIT! I'd never seen the manga version of this. Dude just straight up punches another guy's head right off! That's hardcore. Way cooler than using a blast.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:05 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
After reading this thread, I just wanted to pop in to say WHOA! HOLY SHIT! I'd never seen the manga version of this. Dude just straight up punches another guy's head right off! That's hardcore. Way cooler than using a blast.
I remember the first time I read the manga and saw this page, it was one of the most shocking moments in the manga for me! Gurd is about to kill Gohan & Kuririn, I switch page, and boom! Vegata has cut Gurd's head with his freaking hand! It was the first time I saw that scene, so it was totally unexpected for me.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:08 am

One of the only things that bother me with the anime, aside from the more obvious color choices (Goku's gi and Bulma's hair): the auras.

Please, fix their shape and "inside" Toei, whenever you remake it all. They're not some sort of propelled gas you can see through, they're intense flame-like energy (more or less spiky depending on the intensity) that engulf the body and you don't see the background landscape through them, it's not something so thin you can see through, it's "wide and strong and overwhelming" energy that completely overtakes the direct surrounding of the body, hiding everything behind it with shiny light.
Or that's the way I perceive them from the manga anyway.

This might seem like a detail, but they look gorgeous and powerful in the manga (both black and white edition and the color versions, regardless of the color), but the fact that the inside/center (near the body) is transparent in the anime makes it much more like "faint gas" and much less engulfing/impressive than when it's all opaque shiny light at the center surrounded by whatever color they pick for the surrounding (though my personal opinion is that all white's better for Super Saiyans).

Even when it's bigger (Goku turning Super Saiyan 3 in Battle of Gods with the aura rising to the sky), the fact that it's 75% transparent makes it seem very thin and not a sign of huge power compared to auras in the manga.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:39 am

In some Kanzenban cover SS Gohan has a blue aura that you can see through. I agree that intransparent aura looks cooler, though logically the body shouldn't be visible neither.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Well if the aura surrounds the character, then there's more of it between you and the background than between you and the character, so maybe the character should be discolored by the aura while the background is completely obscured?