Biggest DB disappointment

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Biggest DB disappointment

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 pm

TheAldella wrote:Brian Drummond, man. His scenes alone make me want to throw knives at FUNimation alone.
I sincerely hope you mean because they replaced him rather than him being in any way bad.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Brian Drummond, man. His scenes alone make me want to throw knives at FUNimation alone.
I sincerely hope you mean because they replaced him rather than him being in any way bad.
That is what I meant. I'm peeved at FUNimation for replacing the man. I don't really know how that happened there. XD
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Phew, I was ready to delve into the Funi vs Ocean argument there! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Dispose of human characters after DB, yes, Goku still had to save the day in the original DB, but, humans still could do something, like defeat minions, after Saiyan Saga, they just become a cannon fooder :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am

coola wrote:Dispose of human characters after DB, yes, Goku still had to save the day in the original DB, but, humans still could do something, like defeat minions, after Saiyan Saga, they just become a cannon fooder :(
Completely agree
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 am

Battle of Gods, I had high hopes for it back before we even had the first poster.

My biggest disappointment from when I originally watched/read the series was probably Yamcha vs Mummy. I bring this one up a lot because it's one of my oldest memories of being put off by something in the series. I think that was the worst treatment any human got in the series, and it served no purpose because goku didn't even need to school Mummy to show how strong he'd gotten when he was going to do the exact same thing to Devilman. It just seemed to be pointlessly shitting on Yamcha. I think he should have narrowly won that round and Goku can go get wanked in the Devilman fight like he did anyway.

GT never ended up being a disappointment to me because I never had any hype for it, and had only seen a few episodes when I was first watching the anime. It wasn't until much later that I had seen more of it and grew to hate it.

I was pretty disappointed to learn Kai wasn't a full remake, and that it didn't remove all the filler.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:51 pm

TheAldella wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote: - No more Ocean/Westwood vs Funimation debates
Well...I sometimes dip my hand into that pool from time-to-time because I enjoy both, but Damn, Brian Drummond, man. His scenes alone make me want to throw knives at FUNimation alone. XD

But asiiiiide from that, I'd say the BLT dub of Dragon Ball not continuing. I rewatched my 13 episode DVD set hundreds of times as a kid... :(
I thought Brian Drummond was much better as Vegeta, but Sabat's Final Flash scene was better.

For me the biggest disappointment was the Buu saga. I though it started off with a cool concept being centered basically around the gods of the DB universe. But the entire saga just completely deteriorated. I actually think the Pikkon filler stuff was probably the best of the whole saga.

1. I see people complaining that the humans become worthless fodder, well in the Buu saga AT even made Piccolo fodder. He's completely worthless the entire saga which totally sucks. He's just baby sitter and support to set up gag scenes. Piccolo the badass demon king reduced to a baby sitter.
2. Kid Trunks and Goten are annoying. I never found Goten charming or noble like what Gohan was, he was just a brat. Kid Trunks was worse though, just a complete brat and annoying and nothing like Future Trunks who I though was a pretty good character all around. and Gotenks was just a child like gag centered character that wasted 30 episodes.
3. Kaioshin - Kaioshin is one of the major disappointments of the arc. He appears initially as cool and mysterious but then just becomes a worthless fraidy cat and coward and very weak comparability as well. So disappointing. AT should have at least made him SSJ3 Goku tier IMO with a better personality.
4. The whole arc is just a mess as far as power placements go. How strong is Kaioshin? Dabura? Piccolo? SSJ3 Goku? Babidi's minions? Goku compared to Gohan? Goku compared to the Fusions like Gotenks? Gag statements? Contradictory statements and feats, ugh.
5. Majin Buu - the arc's super villain himself. Majin Buu is the worst major villain of the DB universe IMO, and is the biggest dissapointment of the arc. He lacked the charisma of Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, etc. I though his regeneration hax was just ridiculous and incredibly annoying. What's the point in even fighting him if he can just regenerate like that? His design was pretty lame, a pink piece of bubble gum crap. His Fat form he was retarded and wasted 30 episodes going around either trolling or eating or fighting a gag fight with the brats and Gotenks. Buutenks and Buuhan I sort of liked but he just basically was a lamer version of Perfect Cell in that form.

The Buu saga in Japanese is not awful, it's ok. I watched in in Japanese and it enjoyed it a bit more than the Funi garbage. it's just not the greatness the other arcs of Z were.
Last edited by Victorious on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Saiga wrote:Battle of Gods, I had high hopes for it back before we even had the first poster.

My biggest disappointment from when I originally watched/read the series was probably Yamcha vs Mummy. I bring this one up a lot because it's one of my oldest memories of being put off by something in the series. I think that was the worst treatment any human got in the series, and it served no purpose because goku didn't even need to school Mummy to show how strong he'd gotten when he was going to do the exact same thing to Devilman. It just seemed to be pointlessly shitting on Yamcha. I think he should have narrowly won that round and Goku can go get wanked in the Devilman fight like he did anyway.

GT never ended up being a disappointment to me because I never had any hype for it, and had only seen a few episodes when I was first watching the anime. It wasn't until much later that I had seen more of it and grew to hate it.

I was pretty disappointed to learn Kai wasn't a full remake, and that it didn't remove all the filler.
To be fair the filler it did keep wasent bad. I never had a issue with Gregory being in Kai and to be honest thats the only filler I can remember.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:48 pm

The end of GT. Yep, I said it.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Scarz wrote:The end of GT. Yep, I said it.
You ruthless, heartless bastard.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Scarz wrote:The end of GT. Yep, I said it.
But Scarz, It's so beautiful and, it brings some emotions out of us, and it has DAN DAN, everybody loves DAN DAN.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:37 pm

To the above almost-argument, pencil me down as someone who was disappointed in both the Funi/Saban dub and Drummond's Vegeta.

For quite a while I had heard how much better the Funi/Saban dub was compared to the in-house Funi dub and so one day out of curiosity I bought a bunch of Pioneer singles from the bargain bin at Vintage Stock. I liked the Pioneer movies, but for the series itself, oh my god. The script is beyond embarrassing, I can't sit through a single episode without cringing 10 or more times. The voice acting is nowhere near what it's cracked up to be. The only two voices I really like from any of the Ocean voice-acted dubs are pre-Westwood Kelamis's Goku and McNeil's Piccolo. The rest range from meh to bleh.

As for Drummond's Vegeta, be it the Funi/Saban dub, or the Westwood dub I just find him completely unfitting and am completely baffled as to how he has such a following. His screams are okay I guess, but the actual voice does not fit at all. He doesn't sound like a smooth-talking, devious, and extremely smug and arrogant prince of all Saiyans he sounds like he belongs in a padded cell with a straight jacket.

Penguintruth said it best a while back, the transition from Ocean voice actors to Funi's voice actors wasn't that big of an downgrade, or upgrade depending on what your stance is. It was largely one group of losers replacing another.

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Yeah I'd have to say I prefer Piccolo's Ocean dub voice as probably my favorite dub voice, along with Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell for the original Funimation dub of Z. I think McNeal's Ocean dub's voice for Piccolo fit Piccolo pretty well, better than the constipated Grizzly bear Funimation Piccolo from Chris Sabat. Of course the only true Piccolo is Toshio Furukawa.

I still enjoy Brian Drummond's Vegeta, but maybe it's just childhood nostalgia.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm

1. Everything regarding Goten and Trunks refusing to fight without fusion gets irritating. Just give them the damn potaras if thats how it will be.
The concept of them getting Super Saiyan for no reason at all but just to fit in and conform to the trend was what disappointed me.

2. The fact that SSJ4 for Goku: a perfectly logical form, is being overlapped by a generic new cop-out "planet vegeta" mystical pure-heart power-up story.

3. Videl cutting her hair into that ugly hairstyle and changing her personality.

4. King Cold being 1-shotted by a guy weaker than Goku.... smh...

5. Omega shenron... GT's semi-perfect Cell.

6. Super Buu being smarter, collected and serious being far more compitent with Gotenks absorbed; but whiny and incredibly stupid and childish when he absorbs Gohan? A switched personality?

7. Vegeta never using his big-bang attack after its debut.... why? It could have vapourized Kid Buu on contact or seriously damagd SSJ2 Goku.. but nope.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Super Yi Xing Long was so lame and generic. To me, he felt like a villain from a old Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I think fans like him for his design and that he was so super strong.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Wish DBZ ended the way GT did. I hate open endings
Although GT was somewhat open too I think it helped closed the franchise/series better with all the flash backs etc. Kudos GT on the only thing you done right :thumbup:

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Battle of the Gods. Don't know why but, I just hate it, after being really excited for it, and ended up being one of my least favorite DB movies ever.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Battle of the Gods. Don't know why but, I just hate it, after being really excited for it, and ended up being one of my least favorite DB movies ever.
Yeah, I'm actually gonna have to go with Battle of Gods too.

I think the hype and speculation in the lead-up to its release was my own downfall. I mean, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I thought there was so much you can do with a DBZ movie and what they did do...lacked substance. There was nothing in there that could really justify calling it a movie (except for the last 15 minutes :P ). I mean, I know what Toriyama was trying to do, y'know "Light-hearted, gag-filled, make people happy after the earthquake, something that's easy for children to understand." But just because you're doing that, doesn't mean that you can't have a decent story. I remember when we were looking over all of the promotional material and wondering what every little thing could be about and most of it turned out to be nothing of interest.

Oh, fuck. I have a review to write.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Battle of the Gods. Don't know why but, I just hate it, after being really excited for it, and ended up being one of my least favorite DB movies ever.
Yeah, I'm actually gonna have to go with Battle of Gods too.

I think the hype and speculation in the lead-up to its release was my own downfall. I mean, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I thought there was so much you can do with a DBZ movie and what they did do...lacked substance. There was nothing in there that could really justify calling it a movie (except for the last 15 minutes :P ). I mean, I know what Toriyama was trying to do, y'know "Light-hearted, gag-filled, make people happy after the earthquake, something that's easy for children to understand." But just because you're doing that, doesn't mean that you can't have a decent story. I remember when we were looking over all of the promotional material and wondering what every little thing could be about and most of it turned out to be nothing of interest.

Oh, fuck. I have a review to write.
I totally forgot about that, BoG was probably the biggest failure for me since GT. The advertisment hyped it up to be something it wasn't at all. I remember it being marketed on the sudden surprise that Goku "loses". They implied that Goku would get obliterated in this film.. but in the actual film, he gets knocked out than gives up... really? Thats not my Goku... then again, I'm disappointed because they made it seem like Goku was going to get wrecked like How Turles stomped him. Nope. He just gives up. He gives up knowing the Earth would be blown up if he did and... he gives up.

Then there was just the plot around it.... was terrible. I don't mind light hearted openings, all the movies did, but Bulma's birthday? She some how turns 38 or something in the film but is 50-60 to the end of Z? Okay....I was more disappointed hearing the originally his editor wanted it to be Krillin and #18's wedding, could have been her moment of character development where she confesses how much she loves Krillin for what he did for her since Cell and Buu.. it would have put the shipping fans in a frenzy of joy....

Nope. Akira said, lets make it a pointless generic birthday for Bulma. Who cares about 18 and Krillin's happiness.
- Could it have been Bulla/Bra's birth? She could have been logically used for the Sayionce-circle.... Nope. Akira said Who cares about continuity.
Pan's unborn fetus is a priority.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 am

Ocean dub episodes 108-276, blue water dub( dragon ball and GT) never getting a DVD release. Although the original japanese is still my favourite.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu