That one defining moment.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

That one defining moment.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:26 pm

At what point did you realize that DB(Z,GT) was something special?

For me, it was the beam duel between Goku and Vegeta. It was the first episode I saw, and from then on I was hooked. No other moment was ever as cool as that one was, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ56qui7EJk
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: That one defining moment.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:32 pm

That duel was awesome!
For me the Namek/Freeza arc. Dunno why but when I think DBZ I was think of the time when Goku meets Mr(s).Freeza for the first time. And the whole Freeza arc is pained into my brain like I watched the original broadcast yesterday. At that point I thought it couldn't get better. Then Super Saiyan happened.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That duel was awesome!
For me the Namek/Freeza arc. Dunno why but when I think DBZ I was think of the time when Goku meets Mr(s).Freeza for the first time. And the whole Freeza arc is pained into my brain like I watched the original broadcast yesterday. At that point I thought it couldn't get better. Then Super Saiyan happened.
Pretty much this right here for me.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Flipping through channel after channel looking for something good as a kid and when I reached Cartoon Network, I saw Goku going Super Saiyan on Namek.

I was hooked.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Vegeta's death on Namek and the whole battle that followed back when it aired on Cartoon Network UK. My favourite parts were the Spirit Bomb, Kaioken x20, Super Saiyan and Namek's destruction throughout the battle and the eventual explosion.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

When the Garlic Jr. saga first aired, it was the first story line I was able to completely follow and it got me hooked. I think up until that point, I was only watching DBZ because it was something to do.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Gohan going berserk on Frieza after he impales Krillin.
I still find that sequence incredibly satisfying (even if Gohan didn't do any real damage).

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Trunks blasting Vegeta off into the ocean to stop Cell.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

helsinkirocks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by helsinkirocks » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I watched some of the Ocean Dub when it was out, but I never got hooked.
I watched Goku go SSJ for the first time as it aired (US), I didn't get hooked.

What go me hooked with DBZ was actually Budokai 1. That's how I learned the plot of the series.

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Goku's final attack on Piccolo Daimao. The most awesome moment of the series.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

DB- Where Goku first appears. Such a fun moment him jumping on trees and killing Fishes. Also he picked up that car and Bulma's fail fanservice.

Dbz - Gohan's first rage moment. I could tell that would be a focus in the future

GT - The idea of traveling space for dragonballs. That was always a nice treat.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm not sure I really have one...not in the sense that, when I first watched it, I was like 'Oh god, this moment right here, THIS is why this show is great!'.
No, I was just a kid watching a cartoon where people kicked the shit out of each other and had super awesome hair!

It wasn't until I revisited the series as an adult that I had a moment that I would consider 'defining'. It was Piccolo throwing himself in front of Gohan in the Saiyan arc. The music, the voice acting, just everything was so well executed that it really clicked with me just exactly why people hold the franchise in such high regard.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That duel was awesome!
This right here is what I agree with! I remember sitting on the bed and seeing Piccolo fight Freeza and I was hooked :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Dragon Ball: Honestly, it's the moment it starts. It's so beautiful and I love the characters the moment they are introduced.
With Dragon Ball Z, it's when Goku gives Frieza his energy to save himself after being sliced in half. Then saying "You fool". However, it was the opening with Vegeta in his pink shirt is what converted me to be a fan of Z. Seeing that character development and made me"forget about Goku", because I was having so much fun with the other characters.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:17 pm

From the get-go. When Bulma met Son Goku and explains to this little naive hillbilly what the Dragon Balls are about and they start their endless adventure.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:49 pm

The defining moment of DBZ is easily Goku turning Super Saiyan.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

It depends what you mean. If you're asking when I got hooked, it was when I saw episode 1 of the Ocean dub of Z on Cartoon Network. I changed the channel and I saw Raditz flying, and thought he looked really cool. The defining moment of the story for me, though... For most of my life, I would have said it was Goku's Super Saiyan transformation, but now I think it's the moment you realise that Goku has defeated Piccolo Daimao, especially in the manga.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

I liked the show the first time I saw it but the defining moment... Hmmmm, You remember when Gohan showed up to help his Dad against Vegeta but they both got beat up really bad so they were just completely down? Well Goku gives that great little inspirational speech and even though they can both barely move Gohan has a big smile on his face as they reach out for each other. That was a really touching father son moment, and then Vegeta comes flying in and drives his knee right into Goku's gut so hard that Goku screams out in agonizing pain and then Gohan has to watch Vegeta just stomp on Goku over and over while laughing maniacally. Yeah... that was awesome.

Funny thing about that too is that the edited version is actually better in some ways. In the Ocean edited version they cut out the part where they show Vegeta jumping down from the rock so you don't know hes going to come in until hes right there which I like better. Though in that version he doesn't stomp on Goku except for like one time that you only hear and don't see.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 am

I knew Dragon Ball was something special when I saw Goku turn into a SSJ for the first time :D .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:23 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I knew Dragon Ball was something special when I saw Goku turn into a SSJ for the first time :D .
That was pretty much it for me too. There's just something so awe-inspiring about that moment. Maybe it's the way it's animated, maybe it's just something about the form itself, but I think it says a lot that it drew me in when I had almost no connection with Dragon Ball prior to this.

I mean, I'd seen some of the Bulma and the crabs stuff but...the...less said about that, the better.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)