The Romanization Game!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

The Romanization Game!

Post by Gonstead » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Here's a little fun topic I think we could all participate in.

This is mainly based off different ways to romanize a character's name. We know there are different ways to do so (Kuririn - Krillin as an example).

Extra credit if you can back up your romanization if it has appeared in/on an official product.

I'll start us off.

Kuririn - Klilyn

Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Romanization Game!

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 pm

The European version of Ultimate Battle 22 brought us "Likum" for Reacoom. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a screenshot so here is the less-amusing Ten Chin Han:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/UCOx3xmKgv8/hqdefault.jpg
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

ThunderPX wrote:The European version of Ultimate Battle 22 brought us "Likum" for Reacoom. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a screenshot so here is the less-amusing Ten Chin Han:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/UCOx3xmKgv8/hqdefault.jpg

Wow, that game has some pretty bad romanizations, is that because there was no other translation available at the time?

I bring you.... Mega SanGokou!!!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Interestingly, "Klilyn" is the romanization used in the official subtitles in the Spanish DVDs. In Spanish it's normally spelled Krilin or Krilín, depending on the dub.
Those subtitles also use "Pooal" for Puar.
Sin wrote:
ThunderPX wrote:Wow, that game has some pretty bad romanizations, is that because there was no other translation available at the time?
I bring you.... Mega SanGokou!!!
The game is in French, so it's normal. He was called Sangoku, so Sangokou is close, and I'm sure that the "Mega" comes from Mega Guerrier (Mega Warrior), which was the French and Spanish name for Super Saiyan 3 in DBZ (luckily, not anymore in GT).
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:02 am

Enjoy.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:49 am

I know that in one chapter at the 25th Tenka'ichi Budōkai, there's a teeny-tiny banner (only visible in the Kanzenban) where Videl's name is spelled "BEEDEL". To my knowledge, this is the only time that Toriyama himself ever spelled out her name in Roman letters.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 am

Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 am

Well...
Google Translate forces itself to translate Bardock to "rubber duck", though it clearly lacks the "ra" syllable in the beginning.

So Goku's father is a rubber duck and his wife is... breasts... :wtf:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Well, I have this:
It says: Summary: a superior god makes Piccolo nervous while Goku gets the magic beans to save Biddle... Bad vibrations enter the tournament!
This is a really old edition of the manga (1992, I think). Modern versions use Videl.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

I can't provide a written romanization because what I'm going to mention was a part of the horrible Polish voiceover (based upon the only-slightly-less-horrible French dub). Still, I think it's just as random as other stuff in this topic.

What's Goku's Saiyan name?
Kakarotto, isn't it?

Well, the Polish voiceover has a different version: "Kaszalot" what translates to... "sperm whale".

Seriously.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Gonstead wrote:The Manga.

There's also this:

君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?