Is the "rivals are the main characters" thing common?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Is the "rivals are the main characters" thing common?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Originally, the main characters in Dragon Ball were Goku & Bulma (Son Goku arc), then Goku alone (21st TB arc - 23rd TB arc), then Goku & Gohan (Saiyan arc - Cell arc), then Gohan with Goten & Trunks (Boo arc), and then Goku & Pan (Dragon Ball GT). But now, Goku & Vegeta seem to be the main protagonists of the franchise, most notably in JSAT, and even more in BoG.

So, I know that Naruto, one of the most popular manga/anime these days, also has two rivals as main protagonists (Naruto & Sasuke). My question is: are there any other popular manga/anime series that have rivals as main protagonists? Is it more common nowadays? If so, do you think that such franchises like Naruto inspired the idea in having Goku & Vegeta as the main protagonists? (I'm not really into other manga/anime, so I've no idea.)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is the "rivals are the main characters" thing common?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Well, Rurouni Kenshin has numerous examples of rivals becoming main characters, such as Sanosuke, Saito, and Aoshi. Same with Yugioh and Kaiba. Pokemon had Brock and Misty, who were both originally antagonists, end up being main characters.

That's all I can think of for now, though.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I'd say it's fairly common, simply because it's a good way to have a character that's almost as strong as the lead (and maybe even temporarily surpasses at times), but keeps a bit of ongoing conflict as well since they don't necessarily get along, or if they do it's in an antagonistic way. Just off the top of my head, Bleach kinda/sorta does this with Ichigo/Uryu at times (it's often forgotten due to how many characters there are now though), Fairy Tail has Natsu and Grey, and Yu Yu Hakusho had Yusuke and Kuwabara (and later Yusuke and Hiei).

Heck, it's one of the main character tropes of Digimon too. For every lead Goggle Boy, there's almost always a 'Rival Boy' along for the ride too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 pm

It's very common, but I thought the Vegeta was like one of the deuteragonists of Z. A trope like that will never get tired out.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'd say it's fairly common, simply because it's a good way to have a character that's almost as strong as the lead (and maybe even temporarily surpasses at times), but keeps a bit of ongoing conflict as well since they don't necessarily get along, or if they do it's in an antagonistic way. Just off the top of my head, Bleach kinda/sorta does this with Ichigo/Uryu at times (it's often forgotten due to how many characters there are now though), Fairy Tail has Natsu and Grey, and Yu Yu Hakusho had Yusuke and Kuwabara (and later Yusuke and Hiei).

Heck, it's one of the main character tropes of Digimon too. For every lead Goggle Boy, there's almost always a 'Rival Boy' along for the ride too.
The problem with Bleach is that Ichigo really doesn't care about the rivalry and Uryu seems to just be keeping up his antagonism to avoid being too friendly with him. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Ichigo and Ishida haven't really been rivals for a while, although with Ishida having joined the Vandenreich Kubo appears to be resetting the stage for their eventual face off. Ichigo does continue Son Gokuu's trend of making a new rival then befriending them. I think the closest thing Ichigo has to a currently on-going rivalry is with Grimmjow, although that is about a hot and cold as Ichigo's rivalry with Ishida because of how much running around Ichigo does.

The technique works like a charm, though. The rivalries were always where the conflicts really came to life in Dragon Ball. After Vegeta the rivalries did become less and less personal, though. Freeza's prolonged tenure allowed him to develop into something of a rival, although more so for Vegeta. I hesitate to say Cell had any sort of rivalry going on with any of the characters and by Majin Boo the character interaction had become completely impersonal.

Hajime no Ippo has some of the best rivalries, though. Damn near everyone Ippo has fought has had some sort of lasting impression, but Miyata, Sendou, and Mashiba are definitely his core rivals. Even though Mashiba moved up in weight class he still serves as an antagonistic force for Ippo because he doesn't want his little sister dating someone he views as weak. It's a hilarious subplot, although I wish Ippo would finally man up with Kumi. :lol: Ippo's one thousand chapter-long rivalry with Miyata is perhaps comics' most insane considering they haven't actually fought each other in over one thousand chapters yet each is continually chasing after the other. The Sendou rivalry is what I call a good hot-blooded rivalry, though. The two times the characters have fought they've nearly killed each other. There's always a sense of real excitement in their matches because while they're good friends and so similar as boxers they have very different mindsets that influence the ebb-and-flow of their fights.

Developing the rival makes the story more exciting. You see it even in western superhero comics with characters like The Joker and Lex Luthor, although perhaps to a less exciting degree. I've never felt genuine excitement for a battle between Superman and any of his rivals, but I think that has more to do with mainstream superhero comics treating battles as separate to the story, rather than a medium to develop the story and characters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Yup. Love Ippo. YYH with Yusuke and Hiei's relationship, very reminiscent of Goku and Vegeta's rivalry. I hate you, but I'll help you.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Also Yugi and Kaiba, after the Pharaoh helped Kaiba get over that whole "I'm so goddamn crazy I hired a serial killer to kill you and tortured my own brother" thing. Which was partially caused by the Pharaoh torturing Kaiba for stealing from his Grandpa, but even so.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 pm

It's quite common. So common that I don't think listing more and more Jump series will progress the discussion since the majority (if not all) of their action titles have it.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:45 pm

One Piece tended to avoid this for a while until Trafalgar Law was introduced.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:56 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:One Piece tended to avoid this for a while until Trafalgar Law was introduced.
You mean that Law is Luffy's rival? Not really.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:10 am

Well he sort of is.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:04 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Well he sort of is.
Well, they both want to find One Piece, which is what almost every pirate wants. Luffy & Law aren't trying to surpass each other for the shake of a personal rivalry. You could say that the rest of the Supernovas of the Worst Generation are all rivals with each other though.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:30 pm

I actually tried really hard to come up with an example of a rivalry in One Piece, but I couldn't. I'm sure there's gotta be one, but for the life of me I couldn't come up with anything. I think at this point there's just so much and so many characters that it's all I can do to keep the storyline straight. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I actually tried really hard to come up with an example of a rivalry in One Piece, but I couldn't. I'm sure there's gotta be one, but for the life of me I couldn't come up with anything. I think at this point there's just so much and so many characters that it's all I can do to keep the storyline straight. :crazy:
Zoro & Mihawk perhaps? Though I don't think Mihawk views Zoro as his rival.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Yea, I kind of guess the whole "rival" is fairy common nowadays. One anime rivals that jumps straight too mind is Natsu and Gray from Fairy Tail. Now, their rivarly isn't as fierce as Goku/Vegeta but the goffyness of their rivarly is certainly reminiscent of Goku/Vegeta.

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 am

Rival is a common thing in anime, these days.
Rivals give the main character of the anime a reason to keep going stronger.