Will other Anime/Manga characters ever surpass Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will other Anime/Manga characters ever surpass Goku?

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:All the sage did was create a moon.
BoZ Piccolo can vaporize one of those with a wave of his hand.
The Juubi doesn't have immeasurable power, it can wreck a lot of shit but it's not immeasurable.
The Juubi does have immeasurable power:
Its Bijuu Dama has that kind of destructive power:
It can cause natural disasters:
It can fire rapidly wooden spikes that are so fast that are almost impossible to be dodged:
It's stronger & faster than the Kyuubi & Hatchibi, the 2 strongest Bijuu before the Juubi, and it's strong enough to finger-flick a Bijuu Dama from the Hatchibi:
And it's durable enough to survive the explosion of its own Bijuu Dama inside its body:
And all these feats are not even its full power, in full power, the Juubi has even greater power, great enough to destroy the whole world.
And the Rikudo Sennin could defeat the Juubi alone, and then make its power his own by becoming the Juubi jinchuriki. So no, he didn't "just create the moon".
Gonstead wrote:Movement speed? Debatable.
Combat and reaction speed? Hell no.
He did say that he can kick in the speed of light (with his Logia power), so he should be able to move at the speed of light as well (though he can only go in one direction for each go), since he is light. But he should only be able to go light-speed only when his Logia power is active, not with his own physical power.
Freeza destroyed a planet with 10x the gravity of Earth easily with just his first form.

Freeza survived a planet bigger than Earth exploding on his face after having his lower body cut off, being blasted by Goku and being left for dead with almost no Ki left.

No one in Naruto has bigger feats, no matter what kind of adjectives they use to describe the power of some characters. Freeza in Naruto would also have "immeasurable" power.

And I'm already being kind in going all the way up to Freeza's level of power to compare them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 am

rereboy wrote:Freeza destroyed a planet with 10x the gravity of Earth easily with just his first form.

Freeza survived a planet bigger than Earth exploding on his face after having his lower body cut off, being blasted by Goku and being left for dead with almost no Ki left.

No one in Naruto has bigger feats, no matter what kind of adjectives they use to describe the power of some characters. Freeza in Naruto would also have "immeasurable" power.
Woah woah woah, I never said that anyone from Naruto can stand a chance against Freeza. I only said that we can't compare the Rikudo Sennin to the DBZ characters, since all we know is that he is the strongest being that ever existed in the Shinobi World. The most powerful known beings in Naruto after the Rikudo Sennin & the Juubi are the 9 Bijuu, Hashirama Senju, and Uchiha Madara, and they seem to have destructive power around 23rd TB arc level. The Rikudo Sennin could be stronger than Raditz or Nappa, and let's not forget that he also has the Rinnengan (and maybe all of the abilities from the Sharingan & Mangekyo Sharingan), the Onmyoton no Jutsu, possibly the Mokuton no Jutsu, and the 5 Treasured Tools, so his powerful abilities may give him advantage to stronger opponents, like Saiyan arc Vegeta.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:49 am

I misunderstood then. I apologize. :mrgreen:

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 pm

The problem we have is the difference in abilities, and you can't just assume that fighters from different animes/mangas are going to fight DBZ style. We always see DBZ characters get talked about so highly because of their energy attacks blowing up galaxies and possibly destroying the universe. Their speed is very high but its debatable how fast it is since like a lot of fictions it isn't flat out stated and seems to be different at times. And to me their physical strength has never seemed all that amazing compared to their energy and speed.

Compared to Naruto the energy attacks blast radius is far higher and I would imagine would be enough to kill any of them easily if they just stood there and tried to take it. Speed and strength is hard to compare but again I think DBZ should be ahead. However Naruto characters have all of those jutsus with all kinds of affects. In a straight up DBZ style fight the DBZ characters would win for sure, but in a Naruto style fight where some of the more powerful characters could use certain kinds of jutsus I could see some Naruto characters beating high level DBZ characters. Genjutsu, substitution jutsu, space-time jutsu, energy absorbing (assuming it works against ki), sealing jutsu, regeneration, soul removing, disintegration jutsus, amaterasu, poisons, etc. oh and I forgot to include edo tensei (zombie jutsu :lol: ) hey everybody it's Goku vs Vegeta again...

Basically I'm just saying that you don't need to be able to blow up a galaxy to beat the guys in DBZ.
Last edited by dario03 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:36 pm

dario03 wrote:The problem we have is the difference in abilities, and you can't just assume that fighters from different animes/mangas are going to fight DBZ style. We always see DBZ characters get talked about so highly because of their energy attacks blowing up galaxies and possibly destroying the universe. Their speed is very high but its debatable how fast it is since like a lot of fictions it isn't flat out stated and seems to be different at times. And to me their physical strength has never seemed all that amazing compared to their energy and speed.

Compared to Naruto the energy attacks blast radius is far higher and I would imagine would be enough to kill any of them easily if they just stood there and tried to take it. Speed and strength is hard to compare but again I think DBZ should be ahead. However Naruto characters have all of those jutsus with all kinds of affects. In a straight up DBZ style fight the DBZ characters would win for sure, but in a Naruto style fight where some of the more powerful characters could use certain kinds of jutsus I could see some Naruto characters beating high level DBZ characters. Genjutsu, substitution jutsu, space-time jutsu, energy absorbing (assuming it works against ki), sealing jutsu, regeneration, soul removing, disintegration jutsus, poisons, etc.

Basically I'm just saying that you don't need to be able to blow up a galaxy to beat the guys in DBZ.
That's true. That's why Light with his Death Note could kill any of them :twisted:

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I have always said that the strength of DBZ characters is commendable in the arena of fiction because:

1) They are comparatively "normal" and contained within a humanoid body
2) They are mortal
3) They exist solely in the physical plane (afterlife notwithstanding)
4) Their power is self-generated and relies on common ideas of stamina
5) They use physical force and do not rely on "magic"

Follow these stipulations, and you're going to have a hell of a time finding a character that can put up a fight against SSJ4 Goku.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:I have always said that the strength of DBZ characters is commendable in the arena of fiction because:

2) They are mortal

Follow these stipulations, and you're going to have a hell of a time finding a character that can put up a fight against SSJ4 Goku.
Maybe...that list does knocks off people who can win using magic or reality warping...or mystical objects like the heart of the universe, infinite gauntlet, etc. Though I doubt it will be hard to find self generated power people who can win.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:12 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Funny thing is, nearly all the people who have been listed to surpass him, I could see them all being friends with Goku and would never fight in the first place.
Funny, isn't it. I mean, like Tenchi wants to hurt anyone!

Elder God Demonbane (Who probably takes the #1 spot because of his greater-than-a-universe size and ability to summon other versions of himself- Elder God or not I don't know, Demonbane's previous forms are strong enough that it doesn't matter- from the past and possibly future) is a divine version of a mech piloted by the good guys, last I recall, so for what it's worth the most powerful character in the anime world is benevolent.
Cursed Lemon wrote:I have always said that the strength of DBZ characters is commendable in the arena of fiction because:

2) They are mortal

I would agree that this is the reason Dragon Ball is thought of as a sort of cutoff point by so many people- we're still dealing with stupidly-powerful mere mortals with human qualities. You quickly get to a stage in fictional power pissing contests where there just doesn't seem to be a point anymore (See Elder God Demonbane) and they stop being entertaining, and because Dragon Ball rarely deals with anything but sheer destructive power but on a just-shy-of-cosmic scale it fits into a nice niche. Notice on rereboy's list how most characters above Beerus are in some way divine (in a more traditional sense than Beerus is), while most below him are humanoid, and thus more vulnerable even if they have reality-warping powers. Not to say most characters on those lists don't have personalities, not really possible when Beerus, Haruhi, and anyone from the Gurren Lagen cast is involved, but there are a lot of abstracts.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:Sage of the Six Paths can be equally strong as Goku's SSJ3
Lolno try again. Nothing in Naruto comes close to Raditz let alone SSJ3 Goku.
Think about it though. He's the creator of konoha, went toe-to-toe with the Ten-Tails, and took control of all the beast. That indicates that he could surpass both of Goku's base and SSJ1 and possibly SSJ2. I also think that Madara and Minato could at least give Goku a fight. Minato can use a seal jutsu on Goku and is fast but he'll still lose, because Goku is WAY faster than him. As for Madara, I can see his power matching up to a Super Saiyan and a bit of Super Saiyan 2, that's if we get to see more of him.

And PLEASE don't bring "Tobito" into this. That fool only got lucky and has stupid reasons to start wars(he basically started one because of a FUCKING girl).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Think about it though. He's the creator of konoha, went toe-to-toe with the Ten-Tails, and took control of all the beast. That indicates that he could surpass both of Goku's base and SSJ1 and possibly SSJ2. I also think that Madara and Minato could at least give Goku a fight. Minato can use a seal jutsu on Goku and is fast but he'll still lose, because Goku is WAY faster than him. As for Madara, I can see his power matching up to a Super Saiyan and a bit of Super Saiyan 2, that's if we get to see more of him.

And PLEASE don't bring "Tobito" into this. That fool only got lucky and has stupid reasons to start wars(he basically started one because of a FUCKING girl).
:lolno: . Ten tails are strong. But I doubt they are on Dbz level. Seriously what you described was what the Saiyans do for a living.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: :lolno: . Ten tails are strong. But I doubt they are on Dbz level. Seriously what you described was what the Saiyans do for a living.
Hey, it caused a lot of havoc around the field almost as much all the DBZ villains did. That's what makes me that it can make Goku go SSJ2 or 3. SSJ4 and SSGod would destroy it in a instant.

Anyway, does anyone see any of the major marines from One Piece have a shot of matching Goku's power? I say Kizaru and Akainu can.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: :lolno: . Ten tails are strong. But I doubt they are on Dbz level. Seriously what you described was what the Saiyans do for a living.
Hey, it caused a lot of havoc around the field almost as much all the DBZ villains did. That's what makes me that it can make Goku go SSJ2 or 3. SSJ4 and SSGod would destroy it in a instant.
Damage size ain't accurate in Db. Cell's death beam is stronger than Freeza's super nova. Compare. Causing havoc doesn't mean shit in fiction seeing as little things can do more damage. I'm all caught up with Naruto and the ten. Tails haven't be shown feats that saiyan arc Vegeta couldn't do

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Damage size ain't accurate in Db. Cell's death beam is stronger than Freeza's super nova. Compare. Causing havoc doesn't mean shit in fiction seeing as little things can do more damage. I'm all caught up with Naruto and the ten. Tails haven't be shown feats that saiyan arc Vegeta couldn't do
Funny, cuz I ain't that caught up with Naruto cuz I think it went to SHIT after the Pain arc, especially with rehashing the Sasuke BS and re-using the overpowered "Talk-no-Jutsu". :lol: Though yeah, now that you mentioned those, you right. All that Ten Tails does is spit Black Balls and nothing else.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Think about it though. He's the creator of konoha, went toe-to-toe with the Ten-Tails, and took control of all the beast. That indicates that he could surpass both of Goku's base and SSJ1 and possibly SSJ2.
I'm trying to comprehend your logic here, but I can't seem to. How are Konoha and the Ten-Tailed Beast anywhere close to as strong as SSJ Goku? No character has displayed a feats greater than even Master Roshi :| . Cool they can cause widespread devastation. Neither of these folks displayed power enough to destroy the moon.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote: I'm trying to comprehend your logic here, but I can't seem to. How are Konoha and the Ten-Tailed Beast anywhere close to as strong as SSJ Goku?
Founder of Konoha and all the beasts inside of him. Understand better? And I HOPE you're not saying that I thought the Konoha can take on Goku, cuz that would be so dumb for anyone comparing ANY Konoha rookie or Jounin to the Z warriors.
TheMightyOzaru wrote: No character has displayed a feats greater than even Master Roshi :| . Cool they can cause widespread devastation. Neither of these folks displayed power enough to destroy the moon.
:lol: Oh shit. How could I forget about that? That makes them all ants. Though there is a possibility that somebody will destroy "Tobito's" moon at the end of the manga, though it might not be a real moon.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:58 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:No character has displayed a feats greater than even Master Roshi :| . Cool they can cause widespread devastation. Neither of these folks displayed power enough to destroy the moon.
That's because none of them have the techniques that can destroy the moon or any planet. There is only the Bijuu Dama, which explodes on impact, and creates an explosion similar to Vegeta's self destruction technique. By your logic, Oob is weaker than Piccolo Daimao because he can't destroy a mountain.

Destroying planets isn't a good measuring stick when guys from other series don't have the ability to do it. There are more things to compare, such as strength or speed feats.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:No character has displayed a feats greater than even Master Roshi :| . Cool they can cause widespread devastation. Neither of these folks displayed power enough to destroy the moon.
That's because none of them have the techniques that can destroy the moon or any planet. There is only the Bijuu Dama, which explodes on impact, and creates an explosion similar to Vegeta's self destruction technique. By your logic, Oob is weaker than Piccolo Daimao because he can't destroy a mountain.

Destroying planets isn't a good measuring stick when guys from other series don't have the ability to do it. There are more things to compare, such as strength or speed feats.
You said yourself, they have the Bijuu Dama. Which explodes. Exactly like a Ki blast/attack. And doesn't seem to cause all that much damage to the planet.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:

BoZ DBZ characters tank moonbusters.
How's anyone in Naruto supposed to scratch Raditz, a Bijuu dama certainly wouldn't?
Explosion size doesn't mean much in DBZ because of ki condensing and control. Vegeta's final explosion would eviserate Freeza while a Bijuu dama wouldn't even scratch him.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:32 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:

If they can't produce enough energy to destroy the moon, they don't have enough power to destroy the moon, it's simple. DBZ characters condense their Ki all the time, but at least we know they can destroy planets, stars, and maybe even entire solar systems. Naruto characters would shit their pants in the face of Raditz. Even their genjutsus are useless because DBZ characters have Ki, not Chakra.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:47 pm

SS Vegeta was faaaa~aaaaar from weak enough to destroy Earth, yet Big Bang Attack, his most powerful technique, couldn't destroy the Earth. Some techniques aren't made to destroy planets or solar systems.

Not saying that the Bijuu Dama can destroy Earth of course.