Will other Anime/Manga characters ever surpass Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PolatGuy92

Will other Anime/Manga characters ever surpass Goku?

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Hee guys whats up! :)
This is my first time in this forum love this community! :D
I Always liked Dragonball Z and till the day now I still watch everytime episodes! For me Dragonball Z will Always be the best show that I have ever wacthed

But now ontopic :P
Last time I was thinking we al know of course that the Dragonball Z characters are over damn powerful. Powerful enough to destroy a planet some even an entire galaxy!
But Dragonball Z and the manga itself are stopped in 1995 and since then GT continued but i'm not counting GT since its not canon of course so more focussing about the manga and the anime.

Dragonball Z is still alive of course (thank god) the franchise is still active with games (Battle Of Z) and even a whole new movie Dragonball Z Battle of Gods came out this year and the ova Yo Son Goku and his Friends return (2008) but still during these days Dragonball Z is not that kinda huge anymore then those old days in the 90's.
But we probally will hear more about the future don't know about a new anime but I think more ova's and movies of course. But since DBZ is not that huge anymore other animes are for example One Piece the show and the manga are still running and Toriko to! Don't know about Naruto I'm not watching none of them only Dragonball Z and I only watched only 1episode from One piece still they all look awesome so maybe in the future I will watch them who knows.
So yeah now Dragonball Z is not that kinda huge anymore will other characters like Luffy or Toriko ever will come close at Goku's level? Also other characters like Naruto or Ichigo. Are there anyway Anime/Manga characters that are stronger than the DBZ characters? It almost looks like the DBZ characters are but I'm curious about other characters as well Only in the Anime/Manga selection so no American Comics like Superman, Thor or Hulk
And no debate about who is stronger because they all are awesome

So yeah that is my question it's my first time that I post something like this and I hope my English doesn't suck since I life in the Netherlands haha :P

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Will other Anime/Manga characters ever surpass Goku?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:18 pm

None of them can destroy galaxies, and there are characters from Gurran Laggan, I don't if I spelled that correctly, that can throw around galaxies casually. There's also Kami Tenchi, who's pretty much Omnipotent.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:50 pm

There are several other anime and manga characters above Goku like characters from Saint Seiya for example. Besides Goku is not even the strongest DB character seeing that he didn't beat Buu and Super Yi Xing Long with his own power. He also lost to Birus, he had to fuse with Vegeta in order to stop Janemba and Buuhan. I also doubt One Piece will ever reach Planet Busting levels. I recall that their strongest characters around Piccolo Daimo level.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:There are several other anime and manga characters above Goku like characters from Saint Seiya for example. Besides Goku is not even the strongest DB character seeing that he didn't beat Buu and Super Yi Xing Long with his own power. He also lost to Birus, he had to fuse with Vegeta in order to stop Janemba and Buuhan. I also doubt One Piece will ever reach Planet Busting levels. I recall that their strongest characters around Piccolo Daimo level.
Well Goku is the main character and since Battle of Gods debuted he should be now the strongest since he now absorbed some of the god ki.
But that's the point since One Piece is still running and quite populair is in Japan I think one day Luffy might be close of Dbz character levels or is he already on that level? I higly doubt he is strong around the King Piccolo saga level but don't know for sure.
Yes Saint Seiya heard about that anime, but its quite old think it was running during the 80's still looks like a awesome looking anime to me.
Never heard about the anime's what TheMightyOzaru said, but it seems like Dragonball(Z) is more populair and well known for today and they look more powerful probally the way they show there power to each other but don''t know for sure I might say that because I didn't watch many other anime''s :P
But indeed perhaps there are stronger Anime characters then Dragonball Z character

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh, Gurren Lagann definitely looks more powerful. I don't see Goku casually throwing around galaxies. DBZ characters are strong and all, but they are mid-high tier when it comes to anime. There are plenty of anime characters that can do more than bust multiple solar systems, which is DBZ's maximum. Heck, some are even nigh Omnipotent.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Tenchi Muyo
Saint Seiya
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster/Diebuster
Space Runaway Ideon
Umineko series
Digimon
Pokemon
Bastard!!
Haruhi Suzumiya series
Noein
Sailor Moon (manga)
Ah My Goddess
Bokurano
Heroic Age
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kara no Kyoukai
Serial Experiments Lain
Slayers
Lost Universe
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Ronin Warriors
Saiyuki
Shaman King
Shingu Secret of the Stellar Wars
Sora no Otoshimono
ToAru Majutsu no Index

All have stronger characters (or at least characters that could beat him in a fight by using cheap techniques).

Of course a lot of those series are not as good or entertaining as DBZ.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:05 pm

PolatGuy92 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:There are several other anime and manga characters above Goku like characters from Saint Seiya for example. Besides Goku is not even the strongest DB character seeing that he didn't beat Buu and Super Yi Xing Long with his own power. He also lost to Birus, he had to fuse with Vegeta in order to stop Janemba and Buuhan. I also doubt One Piece will ever reach Planet Busting levels. I recall that their strongest characters around Piccolo Daimo level.
Well Goku is the main character and since Battle of Gods debuted he should be now the strongest since he now absorbed some of the god ki.
But that's the point since One Piece is still running and quite populair is in Japan I think one day Luffy might be close of Dbz character levels or is he already on that level? I higly doubt he is strong around the King Piccolo saga level but don't know for sure.
Yes Saint Seiya heard about that anime, but its quite old think it was running during the 80's still looks like a awesome looking anime to me.
Never heard about the anime's what TheMightyOzaru said, but it seems like Dragonball(Z) is more populair and well known for today and they look more powerful probally the way they show there power to each other but don''t know for sure I might say that because I didn't watch many other anime''s :P
But indeed perhaps there are stronger Anime characters then Dragonball Z character
Gurren Lagann is quite popular. And yes many other anime has surpass DBZ to the point DBZ character are ants. Gurren Lagann and the Anti Sprial were bigger than the galaxy. They was throwing the galaxies(FUCK LOGIC) like Krillin throws the Kiezen. Super Gurren Lagann and Anti Sprial(Forgot the form name) is BIGGER than the galaxy by a GREAT margin. In fact they blew up the universe twice I think(The regular universe and the Anti universe. The anti universe is the all white universe). DBZ character are ANTS compare to them. Goku has already been surpassed by many characters already. Goku ain't the top dog. However I'll honestly say besides Gurren Lagann most of these anime(s) and manga(s) that are like galaxy busters or higher are trash not worthy of being watched.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:11 pm

If they were the same size Goku would shit on Super Tengen Toppa.

EDIT: wait wait wait, Ronin Warrors? Despite me loving that show I thought they were more or less just Power Rangers with Samurai Armor.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:14 pm

For the love of Kami I hoped you were talking about popularity :problem:
But yes many anime/manga are stronger than DBZ.

Although anime DBZ is pretty OP.
Buuhan could destroy the universe:
As could Omega Shenron.
Broly destroying a galaxy:
Kid Buu doing the same:
Janemba reality warping powers:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm

PolatGuy92 wrote:Yes Saint Seiya heard about that anime, but its quite old think it was running during the 80's still looks like a awesome looking anime to me.
It ran in Weekly Shonen Jump during Dragon Ball's earlier years (1986-1991 I believe). Seiya and co were fighting gods at beyond the speed of light in armors that turned gold before Goku first went SSJ.

Another series (mentioned in the topic) that ran alongside Dragon Ball is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (1987-current). The series has quite insane powers once we get to the Stands in Part 3. Time stopping, erasing cause but keeping effect, resetting attacks back to 0, speeding up time so much the universe dies and is remade, etc.

Though not as powerful, I would argue Fist of the North Star's Kenshiro is more skilled than Goku, being a master of his art (Hokuto Shinken being a fighting style that lets you do insane crap to your foes based on pressure points, like exploding people, curing blindness, forcing people to act against their will, etc), and many techniques from foes he faced before. That series ran from 1983-1988, so it ended fairly beloved, Dragon Ball only reaching the top spot for the first time (along with Saint Seiya) at the tail end of its run.

But yeah, Sailor Moon's manga had insane levels of power by the end, and your Super Robot series tend to pass DBZ (Getter Emperor, which appeared in the later Getter Robo Manga, was insane in size and power, wiping out whole armadas and planets quite casually).

Toriko's certainly approaching the threshold with what I've seen (like Knocking Master Jirou punching the planet so hard *the planet being bigger than Saturn if calculations were right...and I'm the one who did them, so they are, lol*, it stops in place, along with every living thing on it and even the weather).

DBZ's not top tier...it just seems that way due to what series many people remember.
goku the krump dancer wrote:If they were the same size Goku would shit on Super Tengen Toppa.

EDIT: wait wait wait, Ronin Warrors? Despite me loving that show I thought they were more or less just Power Rangers with Samurai Armor.
And if people were the size of planets, being hit by one wouldn't hurt nearly as bad.

As for Ronin Warriors, it was literally trying to be Saint Seiya, right down to the armor (only, Japanese themed, whereas SS is Greek themed). Also, how were they strong? They were terrible from what I remember. The Ronin Warriors almost always lost from my memory XD
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:33 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: If they were the same size Goku would shit on Super Tengen Toppa.
:lolno: . Even some of the smaller Gunman could beat Goku. Gurren Lagaan was galaxy busters. The Anti Spiral was the size of Goku(Before he went on to fight GUrren Lagann) and he was....awesome.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I found this list which I think is mostly correct. Only one character per series (the strongest of the series). In Dragon Ball's case its Bills.
So, yeah, plenty of anime characters stronger.

EDIT:

Found an updated list:
Last edited by rereboy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone think that Raizen in his prime from YYH is stronger? I'm kinda unsure but I'd like to say he would put up a good fight at least.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Sin wrote:Anyone think that Raizen in his prime from YYH is stronger? I'm kinda unsure but I'd like to say he would put up a good fight at least.
I think 23'rd Budokai Goku and Piccolo is as high as it goes for Yu Yu Hakusho characters.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:08 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Broly destroying a galaxy:
Broly did not destroy the South Galaxy. The events within the movie prove that this is impossible. The dissipation shown in this clip is supposed to represent a long period of time. Even then, like I said, it wasn't destroyed. Goku travels to a planet in the South Galaxy, there we still see plenty of stars in tact.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Sin wrote:Anyone think that Raizen in his prime from YYH is stronger? I'm kinda unsure but I'd like to say he would put up a good fight at least.
Nah, I'd say he's Saiyan Saga level imo.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:05 pm

The Monkey King wrote:For the love of Kami I hoped you were talking about popularity :problem:
But yes many anime/manga are stronger than DBZ.

Although anime DBZ is pretty OP.
Buuhan could destroy the universe:
As could Omega Shenron.
They both can destroy a universe through a chain reaction and not raw power. There's a huge difference between the two, also it seems like Janemba has very little control over his powers. His warping powers are nothing compare to what higher cosmic beings in Marvel, DC and Image. Solar system busting is the limit for DBZ characters IMO.

Also Kid Buu's galaxy scene was a filler and we never see how he destroy it. Maybe he destroy it one by one or one attack. We have no idea for sure.
She/Her

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:18 pm

I say Toriko and Luffy have a shot..eventually if we get to see more stuff, Sage of the Six Paths can be equally strong as Goku's SSJ3, also Raizen(Piccolo's "vessel" :lol: ) and Kamitenshi might have a 80% chance of beating Goku. Other than that, I don't see any other manga/anime character matching up to Goku, perhaps because I don't watch much anime as I used to but hey.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Funny thing is, nearly all the people who have been listed to surpass him, I could see them all being friends with Goku and would never fight in the first place.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Until One Piece characters can blow up things bigger then Asia or a Planet then we can talk. Neither Naruto, Bleach and One Piece can take down Radditz or anyone higher. I hear Naruto got a big power up and he could take on 23rd Tenkachi Budokai Goku from what I've seen.
She/Her